Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2021 6:37:46 PM EDT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update *Firearm Recovered*:

The AUG was recovered by UPS this morning after almost 4 weeks from shipment.  I had pretty much given up at this point but got a random update via text this morning that the UPS tracking status had changed.  

I had gotten a few of these notification along the way and they all were some variation of "your package is still missing" so was prepared to be disappointed.  However,  I decided to check the UPS website to see if this latest update was a confirmation of insurance payout as the shipper had insured the firearm for full replacement value and had been told by the UPS Claims group that they were "sending him a check" as it was gone and their fault.

To my jaw dropping surprise the tracking update said it was now ready for pickup at the UPS depot.  Figuring this was a mistake or more fuckery on the part of UPS,  I called the UPS Round Rock depot and sure enough they had somehow  recovered the package but had no explanation where it went for the past couple weeks or how it mysteriously showed back up with no additional scan history anywhere in their logistics chain.    Even the customer service rep at Round Rock UPS Depot I have been in contact with seemed pretty surprised it turned up this late in the game but said he would personally hold onto it until my FFL could come get it.

My FFL ran over and got it from the depot and I picked it up shortly after.  Package looked like it may have been opened and re-taped closed as there appeared to be two types of tape used in two different orientations but everything was in the shipment.  Tracking label was fully intact and didn't show any signs of removal or reapplication so it didn't get lost because the waybill peeled off or something.  Ultimately I don't know what to think other than maybe internally UPS figured out who took it home with them after their shift and got it back from that employee or they are just incompetent and lost if for weeks inside their own customer service depot.

Ultimately the good news is that this adventure in shipping with UPS has a happy ending.   I figure I should probably go buy a lottery ticket or two this evening before this lucky streak ends.

Pic of actual firearm:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, it appears I had a somewhat unique firearm go missing/ stolen from the UPS North Austin / Round Rock Texas Distribution Center last week.

In this case the firearm went out for delivery, the UPS driver missed my dealer trying to deliver it after he was closed on Monday (8/30) and then it went out for delivery again Tuesday (8/31).  It was scanned onto the UPS truck the morning of 8/31 for delivery but was never delivered.   According to the UPS delivery driver he claimed it never made it onto his truck for delivery even though the UPS system shows was scanned onto to his truck that morning.

Both the shipper and my dealer asked for the firearm to be held for pickup at the main UPS Round Rock Distribution facility once it was located.  Its now been a week and UPS still has not been able to locate it and the local customer service rep at the UPS Round Rock depot informally admitted to me it was probably stolen...so I presume it’s probably pretty safe to assume its gone at this point. (although I still hold out some small ray of hope it may be found by UPS)

Given that there are not many of these out there being a Steyr AUG, STG77 edition with a  20” barrel, Green Stock, A1 style integrated optic and  “40th Anniversary” laser engraved on the stock, I figured it may stand out if shows up on the wall of a local Pawn Shop or at a gun show table in Texas in the coming weeks/months.

Serial Number:  STG77030  

If you happen to come across this rifle please contact either myself via PM and/or contact the Round Rock Texas police department at 512-218-5500.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks! I'll keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
DAMN I hope it turns up and is a mistake, and Not stolen...

Good Luck Bud
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Garand Thumb releases this video 2 days ago, coincidence??? I think not

The AUG / AUSTRIAN SERVICE RIFLE, the best bullpup ever made?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the Bad News ...

Damn Thieves should be hung from lampposts as a lesson for others...

If you teach them at the "little crimes", they won't be committing the Big Crimes later...
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably the driver. If true, hope he gets found out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, was it insured for the delivery? I hope UPS has to put some cash in your hand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, was it insured for the delivery? I hope UPS has to put some cash in your hand.
View Quote

Hope OP gets settlement, but too many payouts is why FedEx is getting out of the firearms shipping from non-licensees.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck, FedEx and UPS costs me so much money in lost freight, it's not funny. FedEx used to better, now customer service is like "fuck you , I get paid to fuck up your shit."

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hope OP gets settlement, but too many payouts is why FedEx is getting out of the firearms shipping from non-licensees.
View Quote

So the thugs that work there won't steal a firearm if it comes from a dealer?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Update in Original Post.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The liars aren't even good at coming up with believable lies sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update in Original Post.
View Quote

Excellent news. Somebody got a case of cold feet it sounds like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like UPS is covering their asses for their thieving employee.  Too bad there weren't pics taken before and after to verify if it had been opened and re-taped...
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Todays's word is "mitigate".

Word is it only dealers who do $100K with FedEx. Supposed to go into effect next week, we will see.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like UPS is covering their asses for their thieving employee.  Too bad there weren't pics taken before and after to verify if it had been opened and re-taped...
View Quote

The scope probably confused them, they are not typically used to such technology.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
wow!! great news
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Todays's word is "mitigate".

Word is it only dealers who do $100K with FedEx. Supposed to go into effect next week, we will see.
View Quote

The Fedex change sucks as they were the only option for an unlicensed individual to ship a "concealable" (which most are) machinegun for repair and/or pursuant to a sale.

UPS terms of service prohibit all automatic weapon shipment (even for dealers) and USPS can't legally ship a concealable firearm from an unlicensed individual.

So the only option left if you have a machinegun that needs repair or is sold is to find a dealer to ship it for you via USPS.

My guess is that in order to be allowed to ship firearms via Fedex you will probably have to be a large volume dealer and you will have to sign a special carriage agreement which waives any claims for lost firearm. If you want insurance coverage for your shipments you will need to find a 3rd party option.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My guess is that in order to be allowed to ship firearms via Fedex you will probably have to be a large volume dealer and you will have to sign a special carriage agreement which waives any claims for lost firearm. If you want insurance coverage for your shipments you will need to find a 3rd party option.
View Quote

yep - "Firearms Shipping Compliance Program"
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wow!! great news
View Quote

Even though it was insured via UPS as well as my own personal policy,  I am still really happy it was found given it took me 6+ months to find this one.

I just need a white "stormtrooper" one now.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Good news man!

One other thing I've been doing is using colored tape instead of clear. And sometimes I even switch the colors up, just in case. Gotten a bunch of calls over the years, "we've gotten your pallet and it looks like shit!"

Is there green tape on it with clear wrap?

No.

Motherfuckers!!!! Someone tore it apart during shipping for some reason or another and re-wrapped it.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3757PUR/Carton-Sealing-Tape/Color-Coded-Tape-2-x-110-yds-Purple
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Great news!

Ultimately I don't know what to think other than maybe internally UPS figured out who took it home with them after their shift and got it back from that employee or they are just incompetent and lost if for weeks inside their own customer service depot.
View Quote

I'd bet good money on the former.

Firearms get "lost" MUCH more frequently than random packages - which implies theft.

I ship several hundred packages via USPS every month - and very, very few of them get "lost" in transit.

One reason they don't get "lost" is that they don't look like firearms or other valuable items.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad that you have recovered your gun!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Fantastic
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Glad you got it back.  Hope the guilty party (for sealing or losing) gets suitably punished, but I wouldn't be optimistic about that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
We'll probably never know.

USPS doesn't want any bad press about the integrity of its employees.

ETA: I am a tard for not noticing OP's shipment went by UPS - not USPS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We'll probably never know.

USPS doesn't want any bad press about the integrity of its employees.
View Quote

No, neither does UPS or FedEx.  They'll cover it up and quietly fire someone if they have to in order to keep out of the press.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
You are lucky.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there a market to transport rare / expensive firearms?

I have lots of airline miles and free weekends...
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Great news ??
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You are lucky.
View Quote

No Joke!

O.P. needs to run out & buy some Lottery Tickets Right Away while he still have such luck!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you may be on to something.

I have have an HK94/MP5-N and a HK93/33K with TSC Machine in Virginia right now that are probably in the $18K range value-wise once they are done between the German host guns, the German parts kits, and the TSC labor price-tag.  (Not to mention probably two years of my time to get them done)

Between this experience with USP and the AUG, a recent experience with USPS registered mail and a German HK21E barrel (which took 2+ weeks to go from VA. to TX.), and Fedex no longer accepting firearms for shipment for all practical purposes I am contemplating flying to Virginia, picking them up in person once they are done and taking them back on the plane with me locked in a pelican case along with a GPS luggage tracker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have have an HK94/MP5-N and a HK93/33K with TSC Machine in Virginia right now that are probably in the $18K range value-wise once they are done between the German host guns, the German parts kits, and the TSC labor price-tag.  (Not to mention probably two years of my time to get them done)

Between this experience with USP and the AUG, a recent experience with USPS registered mail and a German HK21E barrel (which took 2+ weeks to go from VA. to TX.), and Fedex no longer accepting firearms for shipment for all practical purposes I am contemplating flying to Virginia, picking them up in person once they are done and taking them back on the plane with me locked in a pelican case along with a GPS luggage tracker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

since I retired, I would be a courier just for lunch!!

flying is not that much more then shipping with insurance
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#37]
A side trip to the ATF office, perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm....   how does one become a 'common carrier' for the purposes of doing such a thing?

Standard public plane transport (as a third party) would be problematic.  Private plane, doable.  But probably too expensive for all but the most pricey examples.

My plan would be to have a combination lockable container mounted to bed of truck.  Have shipper place firearm inside container.  Lock it, and then phone the recipient with the code.

...  or something like that.  Would need to talk to a lawyer i guess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Between this experience with UPS and the AUG, a recent experience with USPS registered mail and a German HK21E barrel (which took 2+ weeks to go from VA. to TX.), and FedEx no longer accepting firearms for shipment, for all practical purposes, I am contemplating flying to Virginia, picking them up in person once they are done and taking them back on the plane with me locked in a Pelican case along with a GPS luggage tracker.
View Quote

You want to send me up there to recover and transport those for you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#40]
They probably were expecting a pretty gun to steal and then looked inside.

Glad it arrived!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]
UPS Sucks Donkey Balls.

UPS claims their driver "delivered" my package from Palmetto State Armory to an address that does NOT exist.   (Typo in the address - two numbers were transposed).

So how the hell the UPS driver "Delivered to the Front Porch" of an address that does NOT exist is a mystery.

Better Call Scoobie Doo to get to the bottom of it...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They probably were expecting a pretty gun to steal and then looked inside.
View Quote

You and my wife appear to have similar taste from a design aesthetic standpoint.

Her first comment went I brought it home was "that is one ugly gun....."   My response was "how can you not love the AUG from the original Die Hard?"

I am going to get it set up to run with my AUG MG Sear later today so I can channel my inner Karl next weekend.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You and my wife appear to have similar taste from a design aesthetic standpoint.

Her first comment went I brought it home was "that is one ugly gun....."   My response was "how can you not love the AUG from the original Die Hard?"

I am going to get it set up to run with my AUG MG Sear later today so I can channel my inner Karl next weekend.
View Quote

Steyr has certainly made some funky firearms over the years.  I've got two Steyr rifles but they are 100+ years older.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannlicher_M1895

Still odd though...  straight pull bolt in 8x56R

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3567/DH_AUG_3-2097133.jpg
View Quote

Those are an acquired taste and beautiful guns to have as a collector, especially in multiples.  But an ordinary guy would pass on it, especially at that price.

Too bad you can't get a trigger pack for a PS90 or you'd be going all SG1 on us!

(BTW, I do enjoy seeing your growing collection branching out)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top