Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2021 12:44:41 PM EDT
This is a preliminary post.  This is not the real deal yet.  This is to gauge interest.

This about a private class pretty much for Texas HTF, family, and I guess close friends.  You would be responsible for those you are bringing, coordinating the payments etc.

The Knights of Wonder had a recent breakfast.  At that breakfast we discussed training opportunities.  Those in attendance suggested Tiger Valley was probably the most favored option, at least that is what I Think I heard.

I Have now spoken with TJ at Tiger Valley.  My request to him, and we are not done figuring it out, this is the very beginning stage, but.....
1. Level 1 carbine class
2. Schedule it out to my suggested date of March 26&27 or there about
  (it is cooler, it is after spring break, it is before easter, it gives time to schedule and pay off)
3. Potentially allow 2 or 3 installments with a deadline to get on the roster
4. If this is a success, follow the same format for a Level 1 Pistol Class next, probably in the fall of 2022
5. Class minimum is 4, maximum is probably not going to obtained unless this is far more wildly successful than I imagine.

So think about this.

Would you be willing to commit 2 days for some GREAT training at Tiger Valley, scheduled far in advance, with the ability to pay in installments so it doesn't bring the pain all at once?

Would you be willing to adhere to your commitment after you start making installments(obvious REAL emergencies aside?)  I hate to include this but I would hate to start off with 8 people and at go time 6 have cancelled and we need minimum or 4 people to make the class.

Tentatively the class would be in the $400-450 range.  There would be a deadline to pay in full in order to meet make the roster.  

TJ seemed very receptive to the basic premise.  The finer points listed within have to be ironed out.   I will be working on that after I get some feedback.

Link to Tiger Valley Website
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I for sure would be interested.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
And sorry, not sorry for responding to Lug's blast text. You're welcome for my response.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And sorry, not sorry for responding to Lug's blast text. You're welcome for my response.
View Quote
OK so we have one drunk person in.....

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Two days, $450, for a level 1 class is too much in my opinion.

Maybe a progressive class that escalates and builds on previously taught concepts. Start level 1, but expand into intermediate and advanced concepts if the team is ready. By the start of the 2nd day we should be rappelling from rooftops, shooting from moving vehicles, and dodging live fire like Neo.

But yeah, for serious, 2 days of beginner stuff is a no from me.  Maybe 1 day carbine, one day pistol with an opportunity to do some combination shooting at the end. But again, escalate the instruction as the class learns.

Now maybe I'm way off on what I think level 1/beginner means. Maybe TJ can put together an agenda with instruction topics so we really know what to expect.

Those of you that participated in the classes at b tactical a few years back should be familiar.  Tank started with very basic instruction to get everybody warmed up and learned where everyone's skill level was at. Once everyone got settled in the instruction ramped up and things got more challenging.

ETA not a knock on what's been proposed. Just want it be beneficial and worthwhile. With today's ammo situation, 2 days of blasting is not what it used to be. $450 is a lot of money to some of us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m interested

But I’m also a poor college student. I’ll have to see

If I for sure have a good paying internship next summer I’m down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two days, $450, for a level 1 class is too much in my opinion.

Maybe a progressive class that escalates and builds on previously taught concepts. Start level 1, but expand into intermediate and advanced concepts if the team is ready. By the start of the 2nd day we should be rappelling from rooftops, shooting from moving vehicles, and dodging live fire like Neo.

But yeah, for serious, 2 days of beginner stuff is a no from me.  Maybe 1 day carbine, one day pistol with an opportunity to do some combination shooting at the end. But again, escalate the instruction as the class learns.

Now maybe I'm way off on what I think level 1/beginner means. Maybe TJ can put together an agenda with instruction topics so we really know what to expect.

Those of you that participated in the classes at b tactical a few years back should be familiar.  Tank started with very basic instruction to get everybody warmed up and learned where everyone's skill level was at. Once everyone got settled in the instruction ramped up and things got more challenging.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Balls being busted..................................CHECK
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I took several classes--both rifles and handguns--from TV.  So I'd skip level 1, for now.  
 I do think it's a good idea for members who don't have formal training, yet.
View Quote
The level 1 class is apparently not for everyone.  I certainly understand.  I think it will fit the bill for a lot of people, including myself.  Even though it won't be the first carbine class I have attended.  

Never been there, but by all accounts their training is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as they don't have any hog shaped targets you should be fine
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
1200rds of ammo is worth more than the class... ouch these days.  

I'm a maybe, even have Hilton points so staying in Waco wouldn't cost more on top or have to make the drive 2x a day as scooting down 35W/35 ain't no picnic
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested in this, even though i have already done level 2 carbine at TV.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/2czrhbk-8.jpg

"It was right here!!!!"
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"It was right here!!!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/2czrhbk-8.jpg

"It was right here!!!!"

It was till it wasn't, damnit. [img]/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif" />
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm in. I have taken almost every class offered at TV. I usually take Carbine I once a year to keep myself tuned up. TJ quickly assesses the level that class is at and adapts for higher or lower skill sets.
View Quote

Pretty much this. If he sees you can move onto more advanced stuff you will. I wouldn’t mind taking carbine 1 again. Last time was middle of summer. So a cooler weather class would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Interested.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't suppose you could see if we could do it with 22lr instead?

that much 223 and 45 isn't going to be replaceable right now. and mechanics are the same I think either way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't suppose you could see if we could do it with 22lr instead?

that much 223 and 45 isn't going to be replaceable right now. and mechanics are the same I think either way.
View Quote
I am sorry.  This is no affront to anyone.  I don't see easy ways around the situation.  We live in a suck world right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in because I always need training, but like JoeMal said, it would be great if some pistol could be incorporated. I suck at long guns and short guns equally.  I can sell a cow or goat between now and then to pay for ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm in because I always need training, but like JoeMal said, it would be great if some pistol could be incorporated. I suck at long guns and short guns equally.  I can sell a cow or goat between now and then to pay for ammo.
View Quote
The description I posted says 200 rounds of pistol.  If you ask me not bad for a carbine dedicated class.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd love to, but would either have to reschedule drill or give up working a gun show, and w/ ammo @ $.50/rnd, pistol & rifle, we're talking $1100 before gas and ramen.  I posted I'm interested, but then scrolled down to the ammo requirements - very doubtful I could swing that by spring.

Would be a lot of fun, and helpful, but btwn giving up income to go & $1100 in fees & ammo, I don't see it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
@Lug1 did you ask TJ about some night shooting after the class?
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Lug1 did you ask TJ about some night shooting after the class?
View Quote
I did not.  But we are not done talking.  I wrote and email outlining these points above.  I expect him to get back with me.  I will bring it up in future talks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife and I would attend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Consider me 90% in with a +1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I voted maybe. I should be at level 87 now but haven’t shot much the last few years. I miss the open shoots at TV.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am sorry.  This is no affront to anyone.  I don't see easy ways around the situation.  We live in a suck world right now.
View Quote

no I agree, it won't get better. figured it couldn't hurt to ask. as 3 bricks of 22 would be easier to live with than that much 223 and 45.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#32]
As with most classes the round count is a best case scenario, as in every student is spun up and a killer/shooter.
Most times it’s several hundred rounds lower based off my experience.

Everyone wants to be a gunfighter until it’s time to learn to be a gunfighter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm interested
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Interested but have a baby due mid-March.  So the wife unit will probably say no

Shot at TV several times.  See avatar <<<<
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm interested

But I'm also a poor college student. I'll have to see

If I for sure have a good paying internship next summer I'm down.
View Quote
Hey kid can you make the round count? I might sponsor you
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes +1 she and I attended a few years back and had a good time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey kid can you make the round count? I might sponsor you
View Quote

I still need a 5.56 AR upper, I am planning on building one but I can only buy gun stuff slowly and budget it out. Past year has been focused on handgun stuff for LTC and all that.

so unless I buy a lot of expensive Grendel ammo I definitely wont make round count. I think I have about 350rnds of 6.5G steel case plus like 700 rounds of brass cased grendel stuff.

I have been slowly acquiring parts for a 5.56 upper. I have a BCG.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I still need a 5.56 AR upper, I am planning on building one but I can only buy gun stuff slowly and budget it out. Past year has been focused on handgun stuff for LTC and all that.

so unless I buy a lot of expensive Grendel ammo I definitely wont make round count. I think I have about 350rnds of 6.5G steel case plus like 700 rounds of brass cased grendel stuff.

I have been slowly acquiring parts for a 5.56 upper. I have a BCG.

View Quote
Bro,

I can bring you a gun, upper, etc.  

You gotta come with some boolits.

ETA:  Optic and magpul sling on gun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I might be interested,  never done a training class before.  Been wanting to do a basic carbine class and more importantly would like to attend a good stop the bleed/first aid class as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bro,

I can bring you a gun, upper, etc.  

You gotta come with some boolits.

ETA:  Optic and magpul sling on gun.
View Quote

I have a spare rifle with optic etc you can use also. Put the ammo together and we can fill in the rest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Definitely interested.

Figure ~$1300 for ammo, $450 for class, $200 for a hotel, plus pants, kneepads, belt, mag holders, appropriate pistol holster.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Can you tent camp at Tiger Valley?   I was thinking that was a possibility.  

And/or maybe some people will split a room?  

just ideas.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can you tent camp at Tiger Valley?   I was thinking that was a possibility.  

And/or maybe some people will split a room?  

just ideas.
View Quote

Last time I checked you can tent camp there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Yep, that much rifle ammo can be had for about $800. The cost of the course is the cheap part.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like the nearest Holiday Inn (Waco Northwest, shows preferred on Tiger Valley site) is ~$140 to ~$200 a night depending on room/beds.

Camping could be doable as well, not sure how much of that equipment I have left though; the wifes last trip to Africa she left a lot of that stuff there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Last time we stayed in Mexia. Was a bit cheaper than the Waco hotels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys are very kind

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1200rds of ammo is worth more than the class... ouch these days.  

I'm a maybe, even have Hilton points so staying in Waco wouldn't cost more on top or have to make the drive 2x a day as scooting down 35W/35 ain't no picnic
View Quote

I honestly dont see a class needing 1200 rounds. I have taken alot of classes and never sent that many rounds downrange and some classes were 14+ hour days.

Hell, I've got a 3day class coming up that just needs 500r/550p.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top