Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2021 2:28:27 PM EDT
Dove season is almost upon us, trouble is I can't seem to find any. I have access to two 160 acre fields of milo, no Dove to be seen. My trusty water hole hunting spots also bird free. We have had a good year, plenty of rain, great growth in Dove habitat, just no birds.

Even the fields planted with sunflowers are Dove free. Friend in Nebraska says they are covered up... Maybe a col front to push them down.

For what it's worth, I am south of Wichita Falls...
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve Ben seeing lots of big, healthy white wing here in Liberty Hill. I’ll be hunting in Milan County though. Hopefully it’s as healthy a flock out that way this year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm wondering what the freeze did to the overall numbers.  Not going to be a good year from what I've seen flying around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Doves really took a hit from that freeze, roosting in trees vs the quail roosting on the ground/the thornier the better.  In Collin County I walked a local creek when it was below 10 degrees in February, 2 breeding pair of doves had pecked through the frozen over creek to get water or warmth, 3 were frozen dead on the ice and the 4th wasn't looking very good.  Lots of dead birds about.

Hking
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There’s plenty in Kyle but my lease in Seguin wasn’t cut on Saturday…Hope its been harvested by Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Not looking good in southern Grayson county either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
We hunted this morning about a half hour west of Abilene. It wasn't a bad morning. Most of us got 8-10 birds. Not constantly flying in big numbers but had several huge groups of them fly over.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
About 15 of us in Clifton.  No one got even a single bird.  Saw maybe 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who wants a "Hunt buddy" in Central Texas, L.M.K.  I'll supply all the Shells, Shiner & put my "Bird boy" to work cleaning them all for us ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Travis Co. shot 4 times got 3 birds.  Saw a few more but that was it.  Headed back out in about an hour.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]
In Seguin north of I-10, Geronimo really. No huge flocks but I got 6 total. All Mourning dove.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually hunt in West.  Its been hit or miss over the years.  Also the farming year to year changes the hunts.  We had some great cold front hunts there in the late season.  I am going to try Bosque County near Meridian tomorrow if work quits screwing with my fun.  The ranch planted sunflowers and mowed a couple weeks ago.  In the past the birds have been sporadic there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty slow here in Dallas County so far. Dropped a few mourning dove this morning 9/3. Birds roost after about 9am in this heat.

Looking forward to a possible cold front later in the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
A few around in Edwards county,  nothing like in years past though. Looks like a cold front  is our best bet to get some pushed south..
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Was outside with Chainsaw this morning doing my Lumberjack impersonation...

[Apocalypes Now]  Smell That?   That's Sawdust!!  Nothing Else Smells Like that!!   [/Apocalypse Now]

Anyway in the breaks between the roar of the chainsaw, I heard a number of shotgun blasts in the not to distant background (I'm out by Hutto - Round Rock) so I hope some of you "Got Sum" today!!

I still have those fnckers in sitting my trees in the mornings - Their Coos mocking for they know I am constrained by my "Civilization", but I'm pretty sure the HOA would go Absolutely Banana's if I started each day in my Cul-De-Sac with a few salvos of #8's each morning ...

Hope the Hunting Was Good.  

If anyone wants a hunt buddy - I've got plenty of Shells & Shiner!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was outside with Chainsaw this morning doing my Lumberjack impersonation...

[Apocalypes Now]  Smell That?   That's Sawdust!!  Nothing Else Smells Like that!! https://c.tenor.com/DUP0oqGlH4IAAAAM/apocalypse-now-robert-duvall.gif   [/Apocalypse Now]

Anyway in the breaks between the roar of the chainsaw, it heard a number of shotgun blasts in the not to distant background (I'm out by Hutto - Round Rock) so I hope some of you "Got Sum" today!!

I still have those fnckers in sitting my trees in the mornings - Their Coos mocking for they know I am constrained by my "Civilization", but I'm pretty sure the HOA would go Absolutely Banana's if I started each day in my Cul-De-Sac with a few salvos of #8's each morning ...

Hope the Hunting Was Good.  

If anyone wants a hunt buddy - I've got plenty of Shells & Shiner!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Pellet guns are relatively quiet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Down in Concan for a long weekend and we spent one afternoon shooting white wings in Uvalde.  Tons of birds flying.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Still no birds here.  Sometimes you see a flock fly by, but none stay.

Quietest September I have ever seen here. No shots anywhere...
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Still no birds here.  Sometimes you see a flock fly by, but none stay.

Quietest September I have ever seen here. No shots anywhere...
View Quote

Cold front coming in Tuesday sometime. Maybe that will help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I went out to a friend's property outside of Poth Friday afternoon and another friends property outside of Jourdanton Saturday for morning/evening hunts.  Between 4 people we got a whopping total of 23 birds.

This is year 3 in a row of slim pickings at both places that used to be decent spots.    Not sure if food sources changed with fewer farms in the areas or the weather or what.  We used to see flocks flying through,  now it's only 2 or 3 at the most at a time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went out to a friend's property outside of Poth Friday afternoon and another friends property outside of Jourdanton Saturday for morning/evening hunts.  Between 4 people we got a whopping total of 23 birds.

This is year 3 in a row of slim pickings at both places that used to be decent spots.    Not sure if food sources changed with fewer farms in the areas or the weather or what.  We used to see flocks flying through,  now it's only 2 or 3 at the most at a time.
View Quote

That's pretty much it these days for southern Grayson county. Just about every field I used to hunt on now has a housing development under construction on it. I have a small tank on our place and I have two small zones I can shoot through without the danger of splattering a house.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know nothing about nothing but I think that Effed up freeze we had this year pushed em down to Argentina already

I'm in the middle of Milam county and only see 2-3 at a time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Dove hunting has sucked so far this year. I shot 5 shells the first weekend and got a single bird. Went out Sunday morning and didn't even see a bird.

I'm hunting the public land fields outside of Rockwall. All the fields were either sorghum or soy been. They should be attracting birds but there just aren't any around.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
We are slaying them in San Angelo. Saturday evening of opening weekend I limited in an hour and a half. I got COVID after that and was shut down for a couple weeks.

People that went hunting at our place while I was sick limited the first time they went. The next day they went to the same place and didn’t really see much.

We went yesterday and had lots of shooting, just not enough hunters to keep the birds bouncing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top