Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2021 12:17:59 AM EDT
Hey folks...  The CEO and I are almost off for another long weekend, heading to Lake Mineral Wells SP.  We're going to do some biking and kayaking in the park, but it might be hot enough to drive us into town.  I've driven through a ton of times, but have never stopped for anything more than fuel.

Anything to see or any place to eat that's a must not miss?

Thanks,
B
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can escape from the private prison there. Everyone else did.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Yes, I know it is closed now. I played a role in it's closing.
View Quote

I've  already seen that place.  It's right next to the SP.  Part of the old Fort Walters facility.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to go to Mineral Wells every year to race at the helipad, but now that is becoming yet another housing development, so I have no reason to go back.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure you're already staying at our best attraction.  

My wife and daughters like to hit the Market, I'll grab a drink at Coffee and Cocktails (downtown 281 & 180).......yeah, I think that's about it.  there's rumors of a couple breweries

Wife mentions stopping by Crazy Water, and obviously you can check out the Baker from the street.  Dairy Mart and Jesse's are local greasey spoons.  Jimmy's for breakfast, but it will be packed if you go after 8am.

Eye for an Eye Guns...is about it.

I've got some brush hogging you can do if you get really bored.

Also: Hickey's Dairy Queen on 281 North is still old school family owned and has all 200 Blizzard flavors and toppings.

@The_Dog
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to go to Mineral Wells every year to race at the helipad, but now that is becoming yet another housing development, so I have no reason to go back.
View Quote

I ran SCCA autocross for many years.  That was one of our spots.  There is an old petrified wood gas station that’s cool.

Garner country store.  It’s the home of 42!  Dominoes game
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My wife and daughters like to hit the Market, I'll grab a drink at Coffee and Cocktails (downtown 281 & 180).......yeah, I think that's about it.  there's rumors of a couple breweries

Wife mentions stopping by Crazy Water, and obviously you can check out the Baker from the street.  Dairy Mart and Jesse's are local greasey spoons.  Jimmy's for breakfast, but it will be packed if you go after 8am.

Also: Hickey's Dairy Queen on 281 North is still old school family owned and has all 200 Blizzard flavors and toppings.

@The_Dog
View Quote

Appreciate it.  Got here mid afternoon yesterday.  We did our bike ride this morning up at the northern end.   Gonna do some kayaking later.  Resting in the shade at the moment.   I've got some work to quickly crank out.  

We'll stroll into town tomorrow.    Kind of enjoying how quiet it is at the moment.   Most folks have cleared out.

Hard pass on the brush hogging.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a Pawn shop down town that is crazy huge and has all kinds of shit in it.  Most is shit but still cool.  Other than that MW is one of those towns where people just don't escape life to see more.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a Pawn shop down town that is crazy huge and has all kinds of shit in it.  Most is shit but still cool.  Other than that MW is one of those towns where people just don't escape life to see more.  

View Quote

This right here.
I had a meeting last year with their city manager and head of economic development to discuss a business I have in the works. It would have been 45 new jobs, all above the median income for the city and county. The economic development guy said 'this is not a business the people of Mineral Wells would support.' I.e. not another thrift (junk) store or bail bond joint, if the open businesses along the main drag are any indication of what business the People of Mineral Wells do support.

Fort Wolters is interesting and depressing to wander about in, and the State Park is pretty nice. The Baker hotel was surely quite a place back in the day, but there is a revolving door of 'developers' planning to bring it back when all it really needs is a televised demolition.

All together a depressing place outside of the park.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@The_Dog
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This right here.
I had a meeting last year with their city manager and head of economic development to discuss a business I have in the works. It would have been 45 new jobs, all above the median income for the city and county. The economic development guy said 'this is not a business the people of Mineral Wells would support.' I.e. not another thrift (junk) store or bail bond joint, if the open businesses along the main drag are any indication of what business the People of Mineral Wells do support.

Fort Wolters is interesting and depressing to wander about in, and the State Park is pretty nice. The Baker hotel was surely quite a place back in the day, but there is a revolving door of 'developers' planning to bring it back when all it really needs is a televised demolition.

All together a depressing place outside of the park.
View Quote

Ok, you can’t drop the mic on that one. What k8nd of business are you running that is so bad they don’t want it? Mosque? Christian Science reading room? An anything is if you’re brave enough store? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
We wandered around Fort Wolters after lunch at the old DQ (great lunch btw).  I'm kind of a military history fan, so driving around and seeing some of the old structures and stuff is fun for me.  When we did the bike ride yesterday, the trail took us right past the old munition bunkers on the NE side of the property.  It was also interesting to see the Range Impact Area signs at the park border.  That does look like quite a shooting range that the National Guard has there.  I'm curious about how much use it gets...  anyone know?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top