Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2021 1:16:26 AM EDT
https://www.click2houston.com/video/local-news/2021/06/25 Shots Fired

some "enterprising yutes" decided to steal the Catalytic Converters off a mans Pick Up truck in Houston when - thing got ...  INTERESTING!!

Yet Another Reason you should ALWAYS Carry!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Better off making sure you hit them and they die. They will be back on the street before the officers finish the paperwork thanks to Boss Ogg and the Beto judges. If you wound them, the Beto judges will make sure they sue you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Passed a Toyota sedan this morning on Hwy 6, missing catalytic converter, exhaust aft of the converter nose down grinding on the roadway, doing 20 with the hazards on.

Need to make it so those recycling outfits have to get photo ID and thumbprint. Heck if they're recycling more than two hold the money for 30 days or something.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Passed a Toyota sedan this morning on Hwy 6, missing catalytic converter, exhaust aft of the converter nose down grinding on the roadway, doing 20 with the hazards on.

Need to make it so those recycling outfits have to get photo ID and thumbprint. Heck if they're recycling more than two hold the money for 30 days or something.  
View Quote

I had suggested requiring any money over $20 other than aluminum cans be direct deposited into a checking/savings account. The person would have their money as fast as Pay Pal or Zelle. That with with an ID you would cut down on places that fund these assholes.

There were a couple of the usual suspects screaming, 'My Freedom, My Freedom'. Well then you are helping support the converter, copper, A/C thieves.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those recyclers aren't dumb. They know where it comes from. Problem is you can't prove any culpability on their part and they know that. To get popped for theft by possession you have to prove they knew it was stolen. Which almost all but impossible most instances.

It's a mess.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hang the thieves. Photo ID and a video recording of the purchase of the catalytic converters just like the liberals are wanting for firearms and ammunition purchases.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those recyclers aren't dumb. They know where it comes from. Problem is you can't prove any culpability on their part and they know that. To get popped for theft by possession you have to prove they knew it was stolen. Which almost all but impossible most instances.

It's a mess.
View Quote

This.

Thieves know the likely hood of any actual "punishment" by the law (in Harris County at least) is highly unlikely, even if they get caught.

They worry more about "owners" than "officers" ...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
One dead and one in custody.

Cop catches thieves in the act of stealing converter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One dead and one in custody.

Cop catches thieves in the act of stealing converter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
OUT - FRACKKING - STANDING !!!!!  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could make it illegal for anyone other than a few "vetted" recyclers to accept catalytic converters - maybe even have a "no-fly list" of people who have sold stolen converters in the past.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Could make it illegal for anyone other than a few "vetted" recyclers to accept catalytic converters - maybe even have a "no-fly list" of people who have sold stolen converters in the past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn’t just converters, you have meth heads striping copper wiring out of building. There was a church out by Bastrop so meth heads destroyed the building stealing the copper wiring out of the building, the A/C units and appliances.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Read the Houston and Harris County ordinances for purchasing scrap metal or cat. c.'s.  All sorts of paper work and ID's required.  Thumb prints, pictures, hold on the purchased merchandise, etc.   The local ordinances were far more onerous than state law.  So, the state has just passed a new law that kinda sorta mirrors the ordinances passed by some of the larger cities/counties.

If one was inclinded to buy stolen cat c.'s, one would be well served to have been doing it in another county.  Sure, steal them in Houston, but fence them/sell them in another city/county.    

Same with cutting them up/processing them for recoverable metals.  Again, do it in another city/county with less onerous regulations.   Rural property outside Harris County is ideal.   Far easier to dispose of the nasty parts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thieves can avoid the Texas scrap yards and sell to New Jersey recyclers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thieves can avoid the Texas scrap yards and sell to New Jersey recyclers.
View Quote

Too much paper trail, between serial number, having to send them, not being paid cash.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I got mine stolen a month and a half ago. When I made the police report, they said the thefts were really bad this past year because the value of the metals inside them (rhodium, palladium and platinum) have gone way up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 So, the state has just passed a new law that kinda sorta mirrors the ordinances passed by some of the larger cities/counties.
View Quote

Too bad it doesn't go into effect until September 1.

A Fort Worth resident was shot by a catalytic converter thief July 9.  Fortunately it seems the victim is okay and the police were able to track down the thief.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/man-shot-after-catalytic-converter-theft-in-fort-worth-police/2677378/
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#17]
About four years ago I hauled off a bunch of scrap from my farm and I had to get a photo ID salvage card. Looked kinda like a DL with the information on it. And every time I hauled stuff off they had to see the card.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I work in the Medical center in Houston and we are having a huge issue with these guys. They are getting into our garages and parking lots and making off with these catalytic converters. It has everyone pretty worked up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I work in the Medical center in Houston and we are having a huge issue with these guys. They are getting into our garages and parking lots and making off with these catalytic converters. It has everyone pretty worked up.
View Quote

Sounds like the Medical Center needs more armed security guards and cameras.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me guess, the Amish are at it again?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Read the Houston and Harris County ordinances for purchasing scrap metal or cat. c.'s.  All sorts of paper work and ID's required.  Thumb prints, pictures, hold on the purchased merchandise, etc.   The local ordinances were far more onerous than state law.  So, the state has just passed a new law that kinda sorta mirrors the ordinances passed by some of the larger cities/counties.

If one was inclinded to buy stolen cat c.'s, one would be well served to have been doing it in another county.  Sure, steal them in Houston, but fence them/sell them in another city/county.    

Same with cutting them up/processing them for recoverable metals.  Again, do it in another city/county with less onerous regulations.   Rural property outside Harris County is ideal.   Far easier to dispose of the nasty parts.
View Quote

Have you read what you posted?
Sounds like you are in the business yourself and/or familiar with people that do this.  Thanks for informing us about how the state laws work and the detailed instructions about how to go about avoiding detection and getting caught.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Son's Tundra got hit the other day at the park N ride. He had put a 'yota bash plate(he's 2wd)and while it prevented the theiving they cut it anyway out of spite!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Son's Tundra got hit the other day at the park N ride. He had put a 'yota bash plate(he's 2wd)and while it prevented the theiving they cut it anyway out of spite!
View Quote

Sorry to hear this. Forgive the dumb question, but what is a bash plate? Is that like a skid plate underneath? Reason I ask is because I installed 1/4” thick aluminum Valhalla Shield skid plates on mine to hopefully deter them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My truck is a diesel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear this. Forgive the dumb question, but what is a bash plate? Is that like a skid plate underneath? Reason I ask is because I installed 1/4” thick aluminum Valhalla Shield skid plates on mine to hopefully deter them.
View Quote

Yes - just a slang term for skid plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top