Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2021 2:10:21 PM EDT
For years our leaders have always tried to design "one size fits all" legislation and this from ,what I have seen, generally results in a less than optimum solution. I heartily applaud this Congress for passing CC. There are however very different attitudes about guns, cars, food etc. when visiting densely populated areas vs. the "rural" areas. My reason for posting this is to try and help MY Sheriff to help HIS Deputies deal with the changes coming on Sept. 1st, 2021 and possibly many other Sheriffs in the same position

It seems to me that a bit of preemptive training for his Deputies is in order. I'm sure the large counties like Dallas and Harris will have some type of a crash course for their Deputies that are legal guidelines and procedures etc. to help the guys in the field deal with the new environment. In the case of a poor rural county I suspect that may very well NOT be the case. I get along great with our Sheriff and he listens to me as I'm not one to mince words and I truly try and help him when I can.

In our county we have a small radio station that will give Him air time if he asked for it to speak directly to the citizens here. We have two newspapers that will publish him if he asks. I'm asking here for any input from LE about whether or not I should approach him with my idea (ideas) to "prepare" his Deputies AND the general public for the new changes coming. I never mean to waste his time and He may very well in fact have already considered this. Just looking for ANY way to slow the burn expected by all the anti-gunners so that we in Texas don't become what they feared we would.

As usual Ya'll can tell me to shut up I won't cry.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am willing to bet that agency will be like most  and review all changes before September every 2 years
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like a decent idea.

https://texas.gunowners.org/1927faq/

The above is a good summary of the new law.  Have a look over it maybe pick from it what you think are the most important aspects.

If I was doing it, I'd want the cops to know that it's now legal to carry without a permit (you'd think they would all know, but you'd be wrong).  And that a holster is not required if it's concealed.  

For citizens, I'd want them to know about the convictions that don't keep you from buying a gun but do keep you from CCing.  What places they can carry and what signs are notice that they should not carry.  

And some aspect of use of force laws - basically that a firearm is deadly force, and can't be used in force situations - arguments, even simple fist fights with a similar sized / capable person (different if granny is being hit by a big guy than two big guys fighting and one decides to pull out a gun).  Only in situations where imminent threat of death or great bodily harm or the use / threat of use of another deadly weapon.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like a decent idea.

https://texas.gunowners.org/1927faq/

The above is a good summary of the new law.  Have a look over it maybe pick from it what you think are the most important aspects.

If I was doing it, I'd want the cops to know that it's now legal to carry without a permit (you'd think they would all know, but you'd be wrong).  And that a holster is not required if it's concealed.  

For citizens, I'd want them to know about the convictions that don't keep you from buying a gun but do keep you from CCing.  What places they can carry and what signs are notice that they should not carry.  

And some aspect of use of force laws - basically that a firearm is deadly force, and can't be used in force situations - arguments, even simple fist fights with a similar sized / capable person (different if granny is being hit by a big guy than two big guys fighting and one decides to pull out a gun).  Only in situations where imminent threat of death or great bodily harm or the use / threat of use of another deadly weapon.
View Quote

I'm trying to get a grip on how the "karens" of the world might act out here when/if they see an open carry. I'm wondering if the LE know about the holster issue. I'm wondering about a lot of things that it just seems would be so easy to educate everyone BEFORE a circumstance were to arise. Many $$$$ may go from "us" to attorneys proving your innocence due to an ill informed officer. Many man hours may be wasted having LE investigate something that is perfectly legal. We do NOT have the money (our citizens OR our LE) to do battle in court day after day after day over issues related to a simple lack of information.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm trying to get a grip on how the "karens" of the world might act out here when/if they see an open carry. I'm wondering if the LE know about the holster issue. I'm wondering about a lot of things that it just seems would be so easy to educate everyone BEFORE a circumstance were to arise. Many $$$$ may go from "us" to attorneys proving your innocence due to an ill informed officer. Many man hours may be wasted having LE investigate something that is perfectly legal. We do NOT have the money (our citizens OR our LE) to do battle in court day after day after day over issues related to a simple lack of information.
View Quote

There's already open carry, so the only difference may be more of it.  That said, since 2016 I don't think I've seen anyone open carrying besides the guys who did so at the Capitol during the CC hearings.

If cops don't know about the holster issue then that's something they should be trained on - no holster needed for concealed carry is my reading of it, just for open.  If you use the pants for your holster you deserve to be called "Ole No Balls" though.

Other cops just being told that CC is now law so no permit is required, there's not a lot different for them compared to LTC.

More issues I'd guess on the citizen side.  May be people who carry places they are not supposed to as they don't look for signs.   And as I said, use of force rules.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's already open carry, so the only difference may be more of it.  That said, since 2016 I don't think I've seen anyone open carrying besides the guys who did so at the Capitol during the CC hearings.

If cops don't know about the holster issue then that's something they should be trained on - no holster needed for concealed carry is my reading of it, just for open.  If you use the pants for your holster you deserve to be called "Ole No Balls" though.

Other cops just being told that CC is now law so no permit is required, there's not a lot different for them compared to LTC.

More issues I'd guess on the citizen side.  May be people who carry places they are not supposed to as they don't look for signs.   And as I said, use of force rules.
View Quote

I'm probably the LAST guy to offer suggestions on anything but I just hope we don't have one or more "high profile" issues that could have been avoided.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was in a hardware store in Kerrville last week and the guy ahead of me in the checkout line was open carrying. So maybe not in the major metro areas but out in the country its more popular (concealed or open).
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It is hard to imagine a Sheriff that does not get legal brief from the County DA on new/changed laws.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Just so you know OP, we have to do State and Federal Law updates classes and It's mandatory through TCOLE.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is hard to imagine a Sheriff that does not get legal brief from the County DA on new/changed laws.
View Quote

I'm sure you're correct but I was mainly worried about getting the info out to the citizens.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just so you know OP, we have to do State and Federal Law updates classes and It's mandatory through TCOLE.

View Quote

I'm not worried about LE but more so the citizens and their possible reactions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Most people really aren’t bothered or notice. I open carry a lot, or just throw a light shirt over my OWB carry gun, no body saws anything. Only people who look are other gun people.

Open carry has been around 6 years now so not a big deal. Only one Constitutional Carry makes a difference to is LE when you get pulled over, and you tell them you are armed.

A question for the LEO’s on here, have you ever arrested someone for unlawful carry that they weren’t doing something else real stupid or committing another crime?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Every LE agency does a Legislative Update with each new cycle of laws. It's required by state law.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got off the phone with our Sheriff and I'm pleased to report that he liked my idea. He had wondered HOW to help the citizens here adapt to the "new" environment and thought the newspaper/radio station was a great free way to get the info out to the community without waiting for an "after the fact" response to the issue. Thanks to Ya'll that responded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top