Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2021 4:38:56 PM EDT
Governor Abbott signed HB 1927 today!

ETA: Since I posted this from IPhone  as soon as I got the alert, while riding in the car, I couldn’t make a lot message.

I want to thank all of you that made the calls to your reps to help get HB 1927 passed and signed. When CC was introduced in this session my original goal was if we could get it through committee and a vote on the House floor I would have been happy. But because of your calling, the strong support from GOA, and those of us at the Capitol, HB 1927 got voted off the House floor with strong bipartisan support, and bringing the Republican Party together (only one Republican voted NO).

When Patrick said he did not have the votes for CC in the Senate, it was your calls, emails, letters that got us to the point of having all 18 Republicans in the Senate support HB 1927, this included 3 Republicans that were not real strong 2A supporters.

Beside all of y’all that made calls, we also need to thank Speaker Phelan, Matt Schaefer, James White, and of course Governor Abbott.

Of course the real thanks goes out to GOA lead by Racheal Malone and Felisha Bull that provided the leadership to get HB 1927 to Governor Abbott’s desk along with making this session a clean sweep of passing pro-gun bills and stopping all the anti-gun bills.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news!

Now, let’s get to work against the new ATF rules.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1927

Snowflakes can sleep tonight!
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1927

Snowflakes can sleep tonight!
View Quote

????????
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
BUMP!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?

THERE WILL BE SHOOTOUTS EVERYWHERE!!!

BLOOD IN THE STREETS, LITERALLY!!!

And September 1st will come and go, nothing will happen, people will continue on with life.

This is a great thing and a good middle finger to every gun control group out there.

Congratulations to everyone who helped make this happen. I went to the state of affairs Senate hearing back in January 2020, was planning on going to every meeting until COVID shut it down. I'm glad people got it done despite the roadblocks in place.

I will be keeping my LTC anyways. Fun fact, my license still says CHL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Great work everybody!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The Media is whipped up a frenzy over this huge nothing burger...

If more than twenty other states can do it without degenerating into Somalia or worse, I'm pretty sure Texans can handle this easily!

BIGGER_HAMMER

P.S. - I thought I read that Gov Abbott was signing the bill on Thursday at 11?

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
This session's bills were a fantastic accomplishment by all who were involved - attending hearings, writing and emailing your reps, getting your friends involved, and sharing information and advice here.

It truly was the clean sweep of pro-gun bills this year, when going into this session much less the November election, it was unsure if any pro-gun bills of consequence would be passed, or even if instead some grabbing bills might make it at least out of a chamber.  

This shows you what good pro-gun organizations, with an active member base, can do to impact events.

To have the second largest state in population in the country go to Constitutional Carry, in spite of the gun-grabbing nonsense pushed by the media and President Depends, is an accomplishment that changes the gun control narrative and trajectory of the country.

Well done to all, and congratulations.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#9]
These was pleasing news yesterday. I know I caught shit for asking why he was delaying..that other thread taught me a few things about Texas law and somethings about some Texas HTF's members.

Good news indeed.

Good work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all who helped make this possible! It wouldn't have happened without the hard work put in!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I must say, I admit I was wrong.

I had NO reason to believe this would get passed.  

Good job. It's about time and sad that we were on the bottom of the list of many other states before TX.

--However all of you must remember the FEDERAL CRIME of going within 1000 feet of a school with a handgun unlicensed is a crime.  Just go get the Goddamn LTC and then toss it in the trash if you want to.  At least you have it as protection from this outrageous federal law.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
--However all of you must remember the FEDERAL CRIME of going within 1000 feet of a school with a handgun unlicensed is a crime.  Just go get the Goddamn LTC and then toss it in the trash if you want to.  At least you have it as protection from this outrageous federal law.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many people have been prosecuted for unlicensed carry within 1000 feet of a school, when they were otherwise legally carrying without a license in states where unlicensed carry is legal?
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good job. It's about time and sad that we were on the bottom of the list of many other states before TX.

--However all of you must remember the FEDERAL CRIME of going within 1000 feet of a school with a handgun firearm unlicensed is a crime.  Just go get the Goddamn LTC and then toss it in the trash if you want to.  At least you have it as protection from this outrageous federal law.

View Quote

Firearm not handgun.

I am going to guess this law is violated a million or more times PER DAY in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Need a spiking the ball in the endzone emote! This will have to do.

And high eighty fives!

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Firearm not handgun.

I am going to guess this law is violated a million or more times PER DAY in Texas.
View Quote

Correct, which is even more egregious.  But I believe standard interpretation is handguns since almost nobody licenses shotguns and rifles for carrying except the usual suspect-states.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many people have been prosecuted for unlicensed carry within 1000 feet of a school, when they were otherwise legally carrying without a license in states where unlicensed carry is legal?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure its low, however it would likely only become an issue if you shot someone 100 feet from a school, didn't have a LTC your handgun in Texas and you were in a county where the Judges and lawyers running the county hate cops, hate guns and hate people who carry them in general.  Then add in bonus if your attacker is a different race...

is it worth it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
since almost nobody licenses shotguns and rifles for carrying except the usual suspect-states.
View Quote

Exactly.

So every Texan with a truck gun is breaking the law when they pass within 1000 feet of a school as is everyone carrying a handgun under MPA. With more felony violations coming Sept 1!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most likely not many.  I always assumed it was used to help stack charges or a extra tool to jam someone up when they didn’t have anything else on you.  It was also just a PR law to make moms think there kids were magically safer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most likely not many.  I always assumed it was used to help stack charges or a extra tool to jam someone up when they didn’t have anything else on you.  It was also just a PR law to make moms think there kids were magically safer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a rhetorical question, I already knew the number was rather small.  This page lists a grand total of 47 prosecutions for violating 18 USC 922(q)(2)(A) for the whole country, from 2008-2017.  Less than 5 per year, and I guarantee none of those were where the GFSZ violation was the primary charge.  In short, while I'd be glad to see the GFSZ law be repealed, it's not something an unlicensed person really needs to really worry about.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Firearm not handgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

--However all of you must remember the FEDERAL CRIME of going within 1000 feet of a school with a handgun firearm unlicensed is a crime.  Just go get the Goddamn LTC and then toss it in the trash if you want to.  At least you have it as protection from this outrageous federal law.

Firearm not handgun.

If you read ‘school protection act’ there are a ton of exceptions. Like if you live next to a school. One I never got an answer is, is it a 1000 feet from the school building or 1000 feet from the school grounds.

This another fucked up law that Klingon, Pedo Joe and Hitlery dreamed up with no thought.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you read ‘school protection act’ there are a ton of exceptions. Like if you live next to a school. One I never got an answer is, is it a 1000 feet from the school building or 1000 feet from the school grounds.

View Quote

There are very few exceptions. Sure you are exempt in your home, that ends at your driveway.

Just think how many times you pass within 1000 school in your car in a regular day. About 10 for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Honestly, that this got done with all the more pressing issues and done this way?  I’m shocked.  I’d have laughed in your face if you told me this would happen in February; because why would you bust your nuts that way for people who were going to be pissy and unhappy no matter what you did?

At least half that prediction was right.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are very few exceptions. Sure you are exempt in your home, that ends at your driveway.

Just think how many times you pass within 1000 school in your car in a regular day. About 10 for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth is the GFSZ is just another bad law. This session Vicki Goodwin put out a bill make it illegal to carry any gun within 500 feet of any protest. After I testified against the that it was so poorly crafted that you could not walk down the street in front of the Texas Capitol if there was any sort of protest going on. She withdrew the bill.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#24]
If there is one wish I could have granted, it would be that we stopped with the “all or nothing” bills and started putting the camel’s nose into the other tent, so to speak.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Truth is the GFSZ is just another bad law. This session Vicki Goodwin put out a bill make it illegal to carry any gun within 500 feet of any protest. After I testified against the that it was so poorly crafted that you could not walk down the street in front of the Texas Capitol if there was any sort of protest going on. She withdrew the bill.
View Quote

Should have offered another bill, no mass murder of the police during a BLM protest.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In short, while I'd be glad to see the GFSZ law be repealed, it's not something an unlicensed person really needs to really worry about.
View Quote

Until you use deadly force within 1000 feet of a school.  ( unlicensed )

Avoiding being #48 should be everyone's goal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top