Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2021 7:18:05 AM EDT
Apparently, everyone's rates are going up. Are you using a broker? Are they getting you decent rates? Mind sharing their contact info?

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
When home values go up, so do insurance rates.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My tips on insurance, every 2-4 years ask your broker you shop your policy. Texas has had quite a few big claims on both homes and vehicles due to Harvey, the freeze, latest hail storms.

Put together with your agent what you need as minimum level of insurance, have them shop that so you can compare apples to apples not apples to oranges
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, i get that. I just went through this 10 months ago and upped all the values across the board. now, they barely increased coverage and its going up by another 500 bucks. that in itself wouldn't be an issue but my broker is being a total dick so he has to go. im looking for a recommendation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My tips on insurance, every 2-4 years ask your broker you shop your policy. Texas has had quite a few big claims on both homes and vehicles due to Harvey, the freeze, latest hail storms.

Put together with your agent what you need as minimum level of insurance, have them shop that so you can compare apples to apples not apples to oranges
View Quote

im on board. i guess i should have just said i need a new broker.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your HOME is still valued (by the insurance company) at the policy cap.  

However as the COST of MATERIALS & LABOR to repair - rebuild your house after a major loss soars, then your insurance rates have to rise to match or your policy amount would be insufficient.

Have a fire / tornado / "incident" and only get 2/3rds of your home rebuilt? ...   Yeah you'd be raging on TV that Insurance Company "X" somehow "ripped you off" because they didn't gladly pay "more" than your policy amounts ...  So Rates Rise to Match the Cost to Rebuild.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sit down have a talk with your broker first, many times when you keep paying the premium they think you are happy. Most broker/agents sell for other companies even if they are say a Nationwide Agent.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your HOME is still valued (by the insurance company) at the policy cap.  

However as the COST of MATERIALS & LABOR to repair - rebuild your house after a major loss soars, then your insurance rates have to rise to match or your policy amount would be insufficient.

Have a fire / tornado / "incident" and only get 2/3rds of your home rebuilt? ...   Yeah you'd be raging on TV that Insurance Company "X" somehow "ripped you off" because they didn't gladly pay "more" than your policy amounts ...  So Rates Rise to Match the Cost to Rebuild.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

yep, i get this. My point to them was that i JUST went through this 10 months ago and my TV certainly didnt go up in value. Replacement  value of the house was set high already to account for exactly what you are describing because I told them that I wanted to do it. The replacement value of the structure didnt go up at all because it was JUST adjusted. So if thats the case, why is my policy being lumped in with everyone that was undervalued? This is what I'm trying to get an answer to and "well, we had a freeze" during which I didn't fil a claim is not good enough answer. Thus, looking for a new broker.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sit down have a talk with your broker first, many times when you keep paying the premium they think you are happy. Most broker/agents sell for other companies even if they are say a Nationwide Agent.
View Quote

I did. Their answer was equivalent to "because it is" which is why I want to find a new broker.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  But unfortunately they're going up even faster than that.  Increases in costs for claims due to things like weather damages and property crime are adding to the increases.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did. Their answer was equivalent to "because it is" which is why I want to find a new broker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not doing their job, I understand that some companies had huge losses but not all do, it depends on their customer base.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
i have SafeCo (subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) insurance through Parker Insurance Agency.  They're really nice people and I like SafeCo. I have 1% deductible on everything.  I've had 2 hail damage claims in the last 5 years and have never had an issue getting an inspection and cutting a check. Their inspectors are pretty thorough, I got new roof, gutters, and fence. I'm about to have them check for hail damage again, but since i'm not seeing any leaks right now, i'll wait till the end of the season to give them a call.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
sent you an IM OP.  My son works at Goosehead Insurance.  They are independent and can shop rates at a lot of major companies.  Saved me 400 bucks.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to insure based on the replacement costs.  

We've been happy with USAA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top