Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2021 5:15:38 PM EDT
I think this fit better here than "reloading" so here goes.

My gun club dropped a big pile of money in order to prevent rounds clearing the berm on the 200 yd line, so they increased it by 20 feet. I could be off on the numbers but I'm going off memory. I went out there yesterday(first time to shoot in seven months due to range remodeling)and another member who almost lives out there told me they are getting impacts within a couple feet of the new height. Not being a 200 yd shooter I'm unaware of how this is happening but i believe it has to do with ricocheting rounds.

Why I'm asking here is that I've seen y'all posting target pics and I've seen what looks like railroad ties moving forward from the hot line and this is where my main interest lies. That, it looks like there are individual lanes sectioned off with berms.

Final straw: I went out to test my loads in a 2.25" barreled sp101 but we are no longer allowed to use target stands(the club's or our own), so I had to fire my rounds at 25 yds. A new handload in a new to me pistol with a short barrel at this distance with a DAO weapon.

At least I got primers to read later when I get time to relax.

What I'd like is pics and or information about how your range/club keeps safe and keeps the fun factor alive? I may be dreaming but I'd hoped we could get a run/gun event back at my club.

Mods feel free to move wherever you feel is best or trash it if it seems nonsensical/unclear. I just had to make an attempt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a tough challenge to design something that isn't horrible.  It takes a surprisingly small angle to go over a berm really for rifles.  When a local range in Garland was having a problem, I did the math to see that just a tiny miss over the berm could clear the large hill behind it, it was pretty surprising.  So the overhead covers have to be really low if they are close to the shooter.  As they get closer to the target, they can approach the height of the berm at the bottom.  But then height needs to be more.  Some I have seen were not necessarily heavy for stopping bullets, but things like lighter wood or sheet mild steel, enough to knock a bullet out of its flight path and make it tumble, keeping within a smaller impact area.  However, that looks worse since they get holes

I don't know if the NRA or NSSA range-construction books might have more info.

Anyways, i thought I had video from Haltom City range but I deleted from YT and can't find it.  That was all bullseye and plate shooting from fixed positions, but at least standing or prone.  Some places I have seen were bench-only to control the muzzle angles.  I don't think I have seen a run and gun match at a range with these devices, besides indoor IPSC which is a different thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately can't really speak to design, but can say, a lot of issues people have with rounds going where they shouldn't is people who either don't know how to zero an optic, or people going to zero an optic that is criminally off.

I've seen some crazy things with people zeroing an optic in a 100 yard indoor range. Baffles the mind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve always shot the berm for starters on beginning scope sightin but that’s a nono now.

I guess I can take my A3M1 AUG out and shoot the crap out of one of the target stands while trying to get on paper since that’s how it must be done.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It sucks that a few jackasses, or ignorants, can make the rest of us look bad and get restrictions like overhead boards and target rules.

I always have sympathy for range or gun shop staff who can get described as "range nazis" for being strict about range rules.  We as individuals get annoyed at minimum and freaked out (and post on Arfcom) about getting swept at a range.  But for the staff that shit happens Multiple Times A Day.  It's no wonder they don't have a sense of humor about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at the ceiling in any indoor range, all shot to shit. People can’t shoot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
What is the safety drop zone of your ranger? Our range is over one mile deep.  The berms are 35 feet high with nothing in the impact zone.  Lots of factors involved keeping rounds on facility
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
200 yds and I’m thinking 20 ft berm. We did have an easement past that but Harris County said they’re taking it and will give us a few bucks.

Another member I spoke with said the berm is still getting hit within a few feet from the top.

I’m glad there won’t be any membership blowback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top