FPNI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
NG plants must winterize.

FPNI

Not only winterize, but not have the Feds tell the Railroad Commission they could not increase natural gas transmission. Pedo Joe and the Ho’s war on fossil fuel will only make things a lot worse.

Wind turbine/windmills and solar can go down to easily during bad weather. Texas doesn’t get cold weather with snow and ice storms that last more than one or two days, not over a week.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would help and probably be the most effective.  I'd say go back to parasitic pumps too.  I'd rather have 50K+ MW of LFTRs spread around though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

very informative video
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]
El Paso is not part of ERCOT.  They had very few problems last week because the grid they're on was prepared.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
El Paso is not part of ERCOT.  They had very few problems last week because the grid they're on was prepared.
View Quote

El Paso is part of the Western grid, so they could have power from plants outside the affected area. Since there are plants on the Western grid that are in heavy snow freezing area like Montana and Wyoming they have tougher winterizing standards.

But from an interview I heard over the weekend ERCOT did not even do a winterizing inspection.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

El Paso is part of the Western grid, so they could have power from plants outside the affected area. Since there are plants on the Western grid that are in heavy snow freezing area like Montana and Wyoming they have tougher winterizing standards.

But from an interview I heard over the weekend ERCOT did not even do a winterizing inspection.
View Quote

I heard the same...pitiful!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

*six months later*

"What happened, all the /gas/ turbines are overheating and shedding load!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

LOL

99% of article is why New England lost power in 1989, basically because of gas pressure issues. Then he concludes says "Wind power did this to Texas."
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Every single person in Texas should be required to have a generator and 10,000 rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, but are y'all willing to pay for the winterizing via increased utility cost or more in taxes?

Having been in NTX for 20 years this storm was the first time I've seen it this cold, this long.  Our grid is more designed to handle heat waves and hurricanes.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just curious, but are y'all willing to pay for the winterizing via increased utility cost or more in taxes?

Having been in NTX for 20 years this storm was the first time I've seen it this cold, this long.  Our grid is more designed to handle heat waves and hurricanes.

Semper Fi
View Quote

People will as long as they think someone else is going to pay for it. It does seem that the basic stuff may have not been done to help out but we will really never know the full story.  All I know is the reason they said this storm was a record breaker was because it’s never happened before and I will most likely be long gone before it ever happens again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Texas lost a nuke plant due to a bad sensor, several thermal plants because they froze, and a bunch of gas plants because the pipelines and wells froze. Natural gas turbine plants don't freeze like oil coal nuclear that require water for cooling
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Texas prioritizes natural gas to go to residential customers and then businesses then the power plants.

They had plenty of time to winterize the natural gas pipeline since 2011 when it happened and they studied it and they audited it and nothing was done.

almost all of the plants that had remediation needed after 2011 had done it or were due to be reinspected after after fixes early this year. Almost all had fixed their issues from what I read
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My county borders Louisiana and , along with several others, is NOT a part of ERCOT. I'm going to find out what the deal is. We never lost power due to issues other than a fallen tree.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My county borders Louisiana and , along with several others, is NOT a part of ERCOT. I'm going to find out what the deal is. We never lost power due to issues other than a fallen tree.
View Quote

Yeah. El Paso is hooked up to Western. The entire north/eastern border hooks up to the eastern grid.

Neither of those lost power. Eastern came close to rolling blackouts tho due to their own ice storm demands.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Well if "they" (us tax payers) can subsidize green energy.  Then they can help pay for the winterization.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is that if some minor winterizing had been done, it would have cost nearly nothing and would have limited us to the rolling blackouts that we initially were expecting.  15 minutes without power every 3 hours.

I'm willing to pay under a dollar more for my power each year to keep people from dying in freak winter storms.

Instead, we have corporations that tried so save a buck, that neglected seasonal preps, and now the state and individuals have billions of dollars of repairs to do.  You thought your homeowners insurance went up after the black mold issue?  Wait until you see how it increases over the next few years!

You're going to be paying much more for this disaster (in many other ways) than it would have cost in increased power costs if they had winterized.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Texas prioritizes natural gas to go to residential customers and then businesses then the power plants.

They had plenty of time to winterize the natural gas pipeline since 2011 when it happened and they studied it and they audited it and nothing was done.

almost all of the plants that had remediation needed after 2011 had done it or were due to be reinspected after after fixes early this year. Almost all had fixed their issues from what I read
View Quote

The priority is not well thought out, if the power plants cause the grid to shut down businesses can not open/operate and homes are without power. At least if you had a priority for businesses to shut down major gas users the businesses could plan better than people in their homes.

At least with a ice/snow storm or even a hurricane you have a couple days to get prepared, especially industry and power generation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top