Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not enough on pure financial grounds to make the expense worth the hassle.

I know you can do it, but I haven't really looked into it. I'm more interested in just storing the energy in batteries, and drawing those down during spikes (using automation). For prolonged outages, I can run my house on a 3kW generator during the winter, and use propane or kerosene for heat (cheaply). I consider A/C during a prolonged outage in the summer (especially for the whole fuckin' house) kind of a luxury, and won't bother designing for it.
View Quote

You may not even need batteries, if peak time happens to coincide with peak sunlight.

Do you happen to have a 1 minute graph of electric consumption rate over time of day?  Along with rate over time of day?  The finest data i can get is 1 day and not every detailed.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup. Those people shouldn't be buying their electricity the way I do. And most don't - Griddy has all of 29,000 customers in the entire state. There are ~7.3M households in Texas, and Lord knows how many commercial customers. This isn't really affecting 99% of them. The 1% are just being really loud about it, aided by an advertiser-driven media that relies on raw traffic for income.

Nerding out on basic utilities isn't something normal or sane people do.

But for those of us who enjoy experimenting with that sort of thing (because we're sick in the head), I'm going to be REALLY pissed off if somebody in elected office tries to save me from myself. They need to fuck right off. I'm not a victim. I don't need their help, and I'm not asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2/20: $0.63 <-- Everybody complains when the price is high, nobody celebrates and/or banks the savings when it's nearly fuckin' free. Except me, apparently.

Meh, dude, you are smart and capable....you do it right...

But others don't want to recognize that not everyone gots time for dat. Like me. I stick with Energy Ogre, let them pick my fixed cost plan, and take care of the bullshit. People who choose not to understand what they are getting into with the Griddy thing, don't really get much sympathy from me...
Yup. Those people shouldn't be buying their electricity the way I do. And most don't - Griddy has all of 29,000 customers in the entire state. There are ~7.3M households in Texas, and Lord knows how many commercial customers. This isn't really affecting 99% of them. The 1% are just being really loud about it, aided by an advertiser-driven media that relies on raw traffic for income.

Nerding out on basic utilities isn't something normal or sane people do.

But for those of us who enjoy experimenting with that sort of thing (because we're sick in the head), I'm going to be REALLY pissed off if somebody in elected office tries to save me from myself. They need to fuck right off. I'm not a victim. I don't need their help, and I'm not asking.

The more I think about it, the more these handful of bitches who racked up 10k dollar bills strike me as MJ grow operations.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/583C0703-89AE-439D-9B46-E2BE9C7FAC04-1833359.png

I knew exactly what I was signing up for, I know exactly what I've agreed to, and I know what the risks are. Normal grownup stuff. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, if you can't be bothered to setup home automation to take advantage of the dips, while avoiding the peaks, and you really can't tolerate extreme volatility, then you should be on a fixed rate contract - and let somebody else (the smart people at your REP) handle it all for you.

And I was more than prepared for it. This doesn't faze me. Barely blipped my radar.

BTW, as I'm typing this, the rate is -$0.019. It was -$0.032 about an hour ago. Not a typo - the wholesale price is negative.
View Quote

Thank you for being a grownup. I'm not being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2/20: $0.63 <-- Everybody complains when the price is high, nobody celebrates and/or banks the savings when it's nearly fuckin' free. Except me, apparently.
View Quote

I guess there was a ray of hope in this debacle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You can have more than one meter at a property.  But you will need a service or breaker panle and have it inspected. I have three meters here but all on but energy
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, it was fun while it lasted.
View All Quotes

Poor bastards got scapegoated.   How about ercots board and the generators resigning for voting to raise the wholesale rate 9 times the previous rate?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably not enough on pure financial grounds to make the expense worth the hassle.

I know you can do it, but I haven't really looked into it. I'm more interested in just storing the energy in batteries, and drawing those down during spikes (using automation). For prolonged outages, I can run my house on a 3kW generator during the winter, and use propane or kerosene for heat (cheaply). I consider A/C during a prolonged outage in the summer (especially for the whole fuckin' house) kind of a luxury, and won't bother designing for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm really kinda curious what you could have made by running a generator and pushing some power back in.

What does griddy's agreement say concerning net metering?

Net metering in Texas is on again off again.  Last time I looked into it the would only pay you the wholesale rate back but ercot and the t&d companies wanted to be paid regardless of which direction the power is flowing.   So there is no benefit to the home owner

There were, for a time, commercial contracts with t&d companies and generators for commercial customers to come off the grid dirng peak time.  But those were only about reducing grid constraint load, the customers weren't paid for exporting power.    CA had a generous net metering program but I haven't looked into it in a while to see if it still activebut it would give you an idea of those programs cN operatefor residential.  But Texas` program was not great and really depended on the t&d company.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Meh, dude, you are smart and capable....you do it right...

But others don't want to recognize that not everyone gots time for dat. Like me. I stick with Energy Ogre, let them pick my fixed cost plan, and take care of the bullshit. People who choose not to understand what they are getting into with the Griddy thing, don't really get much sympathy from me...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/03/01/brazos-electric-files-for-bankruptcy-after-winter-storm-cannot-and-will-not-pass-ercot-prices-to-consumers/

WACO, Texas (KBTX) - Brazos Electric Power Cooperative has filed for bankruptcy in a Houston federal court, citing assets and liabilities between $1 billion and $10 billion. Monday’s filing begins a financial restructuring process for the co-op.

Brazos Electric is the wholesale power supplier for its 16 member-owner distribution cooperatives and one municipal system, including the Brazos Valley’s Mid-South Synergy – Navasota and Navasota Valley Electric Franklin. See the full member list here.

Brazos Electric cites the severe winter storms as the impetus for the filing: “Before the severe cold weather… Brazos Electric was in all respects a financially robust, stable company… As a result of the catastrophic failures due to the storm, Brazos Electric was presented with excessively high invoices by ERCOT for collateral and for purported cost of electric service, payment of which was required within days.” The press release goes on to state that it “cannot and will not foist this catastrophic financial event” on power consumers.

View Quote

I'm of two minds about it.  Curious to know what "excessively high invoices" mean.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ERCOT billed them $9,000/MWh for days, when it was normally around $250, give or take. They didn't have that kind of scratch in reserve, and couldn't pay their bill (I want to say that ERCOT expects payment from an REP in 72 hours).

It should also be noted (it's my understanding, anyway) that the PUC ordered ERCOT to hike the price to the statutory max, regardless of what it was actually trading at. The whole thing is kinda fucked.

It's why Griddy went away. They couldn't pay their ERCOT bill. Griddy only makes $10/mo from each customer, and simply passes what ERCOT charges straight through to the customer, and automatically charges whatever card they have on file. Well...over half their customers flat out called their banks and put stops on the transactions, because they couldn't afford to pay $500+ a day, and they were getting wiped out.

ERCOT is short something like $2B, last I heard. A lot of REPs straight up can't pay it, and (since most of their customers are on flat rate contracts), they can't just immediately pass it through to their customers. Nobody was expecting the price to be that high, for that long. It's never happened before. Not like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/03/01/brazos-electric-files-for-bankruptcy-after-winter-storm-cannot-and-will-not-pass-ercot-prices-to-consumers/

WACO, Texas (KBTX) - Brazos Electric Power Cooperative has filed for bankruptcy in a Houston federal court, citing assets and liabilities between $1 billion and $10 billion. Monday's filing begins a financial restructuring process for the co-op.

Brazos Electric is the wholesale power supplier for its 16 member-owner distribution cooperatives and one municipal system, including the Brazos Valley's Mid-South Synergy  Navasota and Navasota Valley Electric Franklin. See the full member list here.

Brazos Electric cites the severe winter storms as the impetus for the filing: "Before the severe cold weather Brazos Electric was in all respects a financially robust, stable company As a result of the catastrophic failures due to the storm, Brazos Electric was presented with excessively high invoices by ERCOT for collateral and for purported cost of electric service, payment of which was required within days." The press release goes on to state that it "cannot and will not foist this catastrophic financial event" on power consumers.

I'm of two minds about it.  Curious to know what "excessively high invoices" mean.

ERCOT billed them $9,000/MWh for days, when it was normally around $250, give or take. They didn't have that kind of scratch in reserve, and couldn't pay their bill (I want to say that ERCOT expects payment from an REP in 72 hours).

It should also be noted (it's my understanding, anyway) that the PUC ordered ERCOT to hike the price to the statutory max, regardless of what it was actually trading at. The whole thing is kinda fucked.

It's why Griddy went away. They couldn't pay their ERCOT bill. Griddy only makes $10/mo from each customer, and simply passes what ERCOT charges straight through to the customer, and automatically charges whatever card they have on file. Well...over half their customers flat out called their banks and put stops on the transactions, because they couldn't afford to pay $500+ a day, and they were getting wiped out.

ERCOT is short something like $2B, last I heard. A lot of REPs straight up can't pay it, and (since most of their customers are on flat rate contracts), they can't just immediately pass it through to their customers. Nobody was expecting the price to be that high, for that long. It's never happened before. Not like this.

Yep some reps will go bankrupt, I had it happen to me a few years ago.  The REPS are supposed to be using futures contracts to hedge their exposure.....

I understand the market thinking behind hiking the rate but practically speaking that was stupid.  Very few people had the ability to curtail their usage regardless of the rate hikes and with so many on fixed rate plans there was no incentive to do so.  In short it was an effort in futility.  

The only way that rate hike makes sense is if the REPS who were exposed could have disconnected customers to reduce usage.    Technically speaking it possible with a smart meter, but logistically it would be difficult and the legalities would be highly suspect.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Not us or my neighbors. We have SHECO and never lost power or even had a surge.  Also, my neighbors and I aren't fucken morons using a stupid app and the world's cheapest energy provider possible using real-time rates versus futures on a commodity.  If I have to pay for another moron bailout, I'm fucken retiring and will quit paying income taxes and SSI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top