Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 9:47:40 PM EDT
Location will be the Tom Bass park complex in south Houston/north Pearland.  We will step off from the parking lot just south of the Tom Bass II fishing pond, at 10AM, and hike through the three parks for a total of as many as 7 miles (this can be cut roughly in half if desired, though).  We'll catch lunch nearby at Dimassi's Mediterranean buffet, afterward.

Tom Bass II: https://goo.gl/maps/M9o5bVodBCYwMESW8
Dimassi's: https://goo.gl/maps/nSbdxSzodKtt1e5VA
APC Info: https://www.americanpioneercorps.org/about

The goal of this outing is for folks to do their American Pioneer Corps qualification hike, so we will endeavor for a 3mph pace for six miles, with a 35lb pack.  Not mandatory, of course; any level of participation is welcome.  The opportunity to meet and bullshit with like-minded folks for a few hours is the other purpose.  Since our route starts at the middle of the loop and doubles-back twice, attendees that aren't interested in the ruck portion can hang back at the rally point & still catch us in passing a couple times, or even meet us for lunch around 1:00PM.

We have confirmed attendees coming from as far as an hour away; if you are actually serious about organizing locally or getting to know your fellow Arfcommers, a lengthy commute is not an excuse.  It's a big city, and there are few of us actually meeting at this early stage; we have to start at least showing up if we want to grow this into something really cool.  Once we get a larger following we can break into regional groups for greater convenience, but for now please tolerate this minor burden, and find a way to work it into your schedule.  There are far worse things in this world than losing an extra hour of your week to meet some good folks; it doesn't even register as a sacrifice.  If you'd like, post up your general location so we can try to arrange some carpools.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Email sent
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm planning on showing up. I'll be in the substandard group bringing up the rear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m in
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Last call, guys; I'll see y'all at 10am on the morrow, at the Tom Bass II parking lot just south of the pond.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Is that the biggest pond on the map?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that the biggest pond on the map?
View Quote

Same question, but I’d assume yes.

Also looks like parking lots on the SW and SE side??? I’m guessing we’ll be able to spot each other...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Stepping off, now; heading west
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Great turnout on this somewhat gloomy day, it was good meeting all of you!

Be sure to check back on the HTF in the coming days, since we'll be posting up the next meet for next weekend (and/or the one after)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top