Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 8:43:02 PM EDT
Wanna get some thoughts from some locals.... Whatcha think of this guy?  I'm guessing a few of ya know he's running for governor, right?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
And just like that, another purse swinging thread.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
He's got a political site now, at least... https://prather2022.com/
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Abbott has a shit load of money raised, but he has pissed off a lot of donors with all the COVID B.S. He would have been better off to open up the state like Desantis did in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Who?  I'm not that old, surely... *wanders off to yell at cloud*
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who?  I'm not that old, surely... *wanders off to yell at cloud*
View Quote

I'm with you.  I had to google the name.  Evidently he's one of those new "influencer" dudes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Prather
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Protest vote?  Please show me where a protest vote aimed at a Republican did anything but help the Left?

Some of y’all need to grow up.  Adulthood sometimes mean you have to accept 80% percent to avoid getting 0%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
He seems like a patriot, i used to watch his little FB podcasts, he now has a show on GlennBeck and is on a couple different shows there too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm trying to think where I saw him, probably on facebook, didn't hold my attention long enough to watch it.

Being a good standup guy is one thing, but what's his practical experience? I think we've established that the government is it's own beast.

What's he do for living? What is he bringing to the table?

I'm not saying he needs to be a lawyer or a former state senator, but I want someone who's done something other than being in entertainment. It does no good to put a good man into politics who is going to be eaten alive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Universal Basic Woodchippers or GTFO
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm trying to think where I saw him, probably on facebook, didn't hold my attention long enough to watch it.

Being a good standup guy is one thing, but what's his practical experience? I think we've established that the government is it's own beast.

What's he do for living? What is he bringing to the table?

I'm not saying he needs to be a lawyer or a former state senator, but I want someone who's done something other than being in entertainment. It does no good to put a good man into politics who is going to be eaten alive.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Adulthood sometimes mean you have to accept 80% percent to avoid getting 0%.
View Quote

We should also stop expecting 80%, but getting 0% because we keep re-electing RINOs. For decades, we have been voting for republicans that give us nothing. The choice has been voting for a democrat with a D next to their name, or a democrat with an R next to their name.

I’m ready for a populist party now.

And I’m sure there will be plenty of people that say, “we can’t win anything outside the Republican Party, 3rd parties never work, reeeee”. We act like such abused spouses that think they can’t survive without their abuser.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.... The choice has been voting for a democrat with a D next to their name, or a democrat with an R next to their name.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

.... The choice has been voting for a democrat with a D next to their name, or a democrat with an R next to their name.  

Simply not true.
Are there Republicans that aren't as conservative as you or I? Absolutely. But you and I aren't the electorate.
And its funny, but this same conversation occurs on the left. They don't think that "mainstream Dems" are liberal enough.

I’m ready for a populist party now.

Good luck with that.

And I’m sure there will be plenty of people that say, “we can’t win anything outside the Republican Party, 3rd parties never work, reeeee”.

Tell us the last time a "3rd party" did work.
I'll tell you when third party candidates may have swung the election in a direction that candidate didn't want.....Ralph Nader and Ross Perot. No Ralph Nader in 2000 and Al Gore would have won Florida and the Presidency. Perot had 19% of the votes in 1992, not all of which would have gone to Bush, but if they did....no Bill Clinton in 1992.

We act like such abused spouses that think they can’t survive without their abuser.  

Not understanding the realities of politics IS a lot like not understanding domestic abuse.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't disagree with what Tom said.
 The fact of the matter is we--the masses--are just the steppingstones for politicians to achieve their aspirations.  The ones that care about the people????  They, either, won't last long in DC or can't get anything done in DC.
View Quote

Agreed (with you and him, and it's pretty rare that I agree with him).

However, there are different parts of "the masses" and there's often no reason for the educated portion of the masses to abandon their principals and just vote with the sheep in their party.

Unless you're in a swing state (we're not.  yet.) and you feel the need to vote to support some larger strategy, voting for a third party is NOT a waste.  Even if it isn't a vote for the winnner, even if it's for a candidate that gets single digit percentages, it sends a message.  

Even though our system is rigged to support two big parties, politics is NEVER binary.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are there Republicans that aren't as conservative as you or I? Absolutely. But you and I aren't the electorate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Are there Republicans that aren't as conservative as you or I? Absolutely. But you and I aren't the electorate

It really has nothing to do with “conservative” anymore. Trump expanded his base because he was a person that did what they said they would do and he was a fighter. Most of these “strong conservatives“ are nothing more than cowards seeking to enrich themself.

Quoted:
Tell us the last time a "3rd party" did work.

The Republican Party. The democrat party. Granted it takes a lot of political frustration to happen. An example of that would be like when a candidate increases their votes in reelection by 19%, gets the elections stolen from him, and the elected people of his own party stab him in the back, even when the overwhelming majority of voters in that party want them to fight for that candidate.

Quoted:
Not understanding the realities of politics IS a lot like not understanding domestic abuse.

Okay, let’s use the example of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. E.g. voting for republicans for 40 years and wondering why they never do the things they promise even when they control all 3 branches of government.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
.....Okay, let’s use the example of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. E.g. voting for republicans for 40 years and wondering why they never do the things they promise even when they control all 3 branches of government.
View Quote

Maybe you should stop long enough to think why candidates make promises to get elected.
And maybe just maybe, electing Republicans prevented the Democrats from passing legislation.

If you don't think a Republican Senate was valuable the last four years have someone explain it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe you should stop long enough to think why candidates make promises to get elected.

And maybe just maybe, electing Republicans prevented the Democrats from passing legislation.

If you don't think a Republican Senate was valuable the last four years have someone explain it.
View Quote

We had all 3 branches of government from 2017-2018. Did we get our border wall? Did we get Obamacare repealed? Did we get the HPA, or national reciprocity? Did we get any repeal of regulation legislatively?

I don’t vote for republicans just so they can slow down the democrats, I want them to reverse the last 100 years of damage they have done to the constitution.

Maybe you are happy with the table scraps they give, but I’m not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We had all 3 branches of government from 2017-2018. Did we get our border wall? Did we get Obamacare repealed? Did we get the HPA, or national reciprocity? Did we get any repeal of regulation legislatively?

I don’t vote for republicans just so they can slow down the democrats, I want them to reverse the last 100 years of damage they have done to the constitution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys really don't understand politics. It is like poker, not ever hand you are dealt is a good hand, but you still need to play out the hand you were dealt.

You know what fucked up 2017-2018? Many Republicans believed the Russian hoax, especially Paul Rynn and other GOPe crowd, many of which retired going into the 2018 election.

The house back then passed both a version of the HPA and National Reciprocity, it was John Cornyn that killed both going into the Senate after the Las Vegas shooting. Still had to vote for Cornyn this last election, why? because Hager would have been a lot worse.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The house back then passed both a version of the HPA and National Reciprocity, it was John Cornyn that killed both going into the Senate after the Las Vegas shooting. Still had to vote for Cornyn this last election, why? because Hager would have been a lot worse.
View Quote

This mentality is why we have the Republican Party that have. For decades we have kept saving “the R is better than the D” but in reality many times the are the exact same. We have not been willing to pay the price to get rid of them, which is we letting the seat go for one term.

I’m not asking for a candidate that I agree with 100%. I’ll take 80-90%, but on core issues I don’t compromise. I will no longer vote for the lesser of 2 evils, I’m not voting for evil at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We had all 3 branches of government from 2017-2018.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had all 3 branches of government from 2017-2018.

All three huh? I think you need to go to a FEMA reeducation camp. Dude, the judiciary isn't elected, but appointed at the federal level. Judges appointed by Republican Presidents don't always mirror Republican values (and the same with Democrats). Trump found that out pretty quick.

Did we get our border wall? Did we get Obamacare repealed? Did we get the HPA, or national reciprocity? Did we get any repeal of regulation legislatively?

Anyone that thinks Trumps campaign promises would come true hasn't paid attention to any politician, ever.

I don’t vote for republicans just so they can slow down the democrats,

Good for you. You should only vote for those who can deliver on their campaign promises........do you have a list?

I want them to reverse the last 100 years of damage they have done to the constitution.

Good grief. How old are you?
Apparently not old enough to remember when the Democrats were considered conservative and Republicans were the liberals.......

I'm not happy. I wasn't happy when Trump was the nominee in 2016. He's a phony conservative, a liberal and a windbag.
I've written it before, but it's choosing the lesser of two evils. I'll vote to elect the nitwit who I think will do the least harm to the values I hold.

Expecting the candidate you idolize to actually deliver on his campaign promises?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...The house back then passed both a version of the HPA and National Reciprocity, it was John Cornyn that killed both going into the Senate after the Las Vegas shooting.

View Quote

The House has never passed any version of the HPA. It's died in committee for something like eight years in a row.
HPA never got out of committee, much less a vote of the full House.

Same with any bill for national reciprocity.....Trump didn't like it.
John Cornyn is a Senator and has nothing to do with House business......he introduced the SAME BILL IN THE Senate. It didn't make the 60 votes required and failed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Kinky Friedman ring a bell?  Remember the singer, writer, comedian the Dems ran against Abbott?
I'm not so sure this isn't just a publicity stunt. It will make the primaries fun but that's about all it will be. There is at least one other republican declared but I doubt he gets much traction. Whatever happens, the last thing this state needs is a Democratic governor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I would agree politics sometimes is like poker, but I'm not sure if everyone on the R side is playing to win. Sometimes they act like it's easier to play the victim and blame everyone else, sometimes I think their strategy is to die of old age in office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top