Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 3:30:42 PM EDT
Here is a website to look up legislation this session. You can look up what bills are moving, which are stalled in committee and who are sponsors/co-sponsors

https://capitol.texas.gov/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link, and it's now in my active favorites dropdown.  You know, however?...I just have less and less faith in the representative process anymore.  I'm not done trying, but it's basically like Kabuki theater anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the link, and it's now in my active favorites dropdown.  You know, however?...I just have less and less faith in the representative process anymore.  I'm not done trying, but it's basically like Kabuki theater anymore.
View Quote

When WE QUIT then THEY WIN...

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As a lawyer who deals directly with that process frequently, at least in Texas, your participation matters.  It isn’t like they teach you in high school civics even in Texas, where you just cast your vote and move on.  It’s money and power and knowing people to spin how what you are doing isn’t a money/power grab when it is.  Texas still comes closest to that high school ethic though.

Not everybody on your “side” is a friend.  And a few people casting votes against all you believe are your allies.

But your participation is absolutely important. It is the lifeblood of our Texas politicians.  Voting is the smallest step on that chain.  Letting your representatives know your opinion is next up; but understand they only use that as a rough guide for what they can get away with.  Draw clear lines on what you won’t accept.  Next up is the schmoozing and the glad handling and raising money - that’s where real decisions get made and it’s shitty horrible work.  But the people who do it make the decisions the people who just vote live with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top