Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 6:42:31 PM EDT
It’s been a while since I looked at TP&W’s hunting guide. I was looking at the air rifle regs and came across the section on birds. The only unprotected birds they list were English sparrows, European starlings, Eurasian collared doves and pigeons, then referred everything else to some federal protected bird act.

So grackles and crows are out? Why are they protected?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not entirely.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
There was some stuff about de-predicating crows...  but I think it got removed.

If I understand it correctly, we can no longer hunt crows for sport in Texas because we do not have a crow season.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was some stuff about de-predicating crows...  but I think it got removed.

If I understand it correctly, we can no longer hunt crows for sport in Texas because we do not have a crow season.
View Quote

Last I read, if you were a farmer and had crows hurting your crops you could ask your local game warden for a special permit.  Otherwise, you can't hunt them, which is a shame.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nearly all native birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. There are a few exceptions like the Brown Headed Cowbird that can be removed with a permit and some training. Feral pigeons are open season though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The crows and the grackles are the ones that bug me more than anything. We'll see some European starlings that come through, but the grackles will decent upon our yard 15 - 20, even more birds at a time, go into the dog pen and mop up on dog food. My one of my outside dogs is old, the other has brain damage and wasn't loved by his mother, they just sit there and watch. This is not a constant issue, but this is the time of year where they randomly show up.

The crows are just hell on our pecan trees in the fall. I'm not interested in having them around. We have a huge amount of cardinals, blue jays and mourning dove hanging around right now. I put out a little corn for them, just to help them out right now, guess who shows up to eat? The fucking crows.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with you about the crows and pecans. They and the squirrels eat all of them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with you about the crows and pecans. They and the squirrels eat all of them.
View Quote

Squirrels are considered a game animal, but where I am, it's essentially open season. Sept 1 - Aug 31. I'm thinking I want to try making stew.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top