Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am SW Houston
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Cypress here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ages ago we used to have a sorta-regular Tuesday night dinner. Maybe it's time to restart that.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ages ago we used to have a sorta-regular Tuesday night dinner. Maybe it's time to restart that.

View Quote

NW Houston.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
some of    are on Signal    and have created a few chat groups

the ham group met up last Sunday to discuss communication and get some programing done

we all need to network -  and create  help groups

https://youtu.be/3eC4Hp4MNBA - talks about signal

currently I am aware of 3 houston based signal groups

Ham coms

Net coms

Hiking

If your on here  PM me your signal contact info and i can add you to those groups

ps  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/127?s=1&r=17

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
It's technically legal to use FRS radios without a license for sending short data bursts for station-to-station text communication.  Not super useful in most cases though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Cypress area.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

We restarted Houston Home Town Meetings in Houston in 2019, but then Corona smashed into it all.  

Bars & Restaurants (the usual meeting places) have been FUBAR'ed, not to mention Masks & Social Distancing factors too...

With the large 'Spike' in Houston COVID numbers, Harris County is 'rolling back' and more places (Bars & Restaurants specifically) are under restrictions / shut down, which makes a place to meet up difficult.

BIGGER_HAMMER

EDITED to add - Ellington Field area (S. Houston)

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe we need to designate someone to keep cellphone/info so when SHTF he can arrange via text some sort of communication between members in Houston and surrounding areas?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe we need to designate someone to keep cellphone/info so when SHTF he can arrange via text some sort of communication between members in Houston and surrounding areas?
View Quote

I'd be interested after I meet some of you.  I'm not the one to hold the list though.  Might want to have regional subdivisions too.  I'd be south or SE Houston.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Just as an FYI ....

Brazoria County is not under the same guidelines as Harris / ft bend //  etc
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Magnolia.

PM so I'll see it. Very seldom go to HT forum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
some of    are on Signal    and have created a few chat groups

the ham group met up last Sunday to discuss communication and get some programing done

we all need to network -  and create  help groups

https://youtu.be/3eC4Hp4MNBA - talks about signal

currently I am aware of 3 houston based signal groups

Ham coms

Net coms

Hiking

If your on here  PM me your signal contact info and i can add you to those groups

ps  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/127?s=1&r=17

View Quote

What area is the ham group?

I'm trying to setup a mobile icom 2720h that I got from my dad when he passed.
Basically had to remove the unit from his truck and had to leave behind the cables and stuff.
I know nothing about ham though. I need a separation  cable , antenna, and coax. I made a post in gd about where to get this stuff and checked a couple of sites recommended but idk what the hell im looking at.

Also have a icom ht w32a that I've been trying to learn. But both batteries are crap and I need to buy new ones. For now I just have the charging cord to power it up.

I want to get licensed along with wife and 12yo son.

Id like to get it all setup to where we can be able to contact one another if shit goes south.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The ham group mainly has people in the greater Houston area
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#16]
see if this link works - it does for me

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjSg6zi9pjuAhVI0FkKHb3tDYgQFjAEegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icomamerica.com%2Fen%2Fdownloads%2FDownloadDocument.aspx%3FDocument%3D7&usg=AOvVaw0h4lMeA7l6Zn636kX-_eQc

this is what I googled =  icom 2720h service manual

www.icomamerica.com › DownloadDocument
PDF
you for making your IC-2720H your radio of choice, and hope you agree ... struction manual contains important operating instructions for ... 12 MAINTENANCE .
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We restarted Houston Home Town Meetings in Houston in 2019, but then Corona smashed into it all.  

Bars & Restaurants (the usual meeting places) have been FUBAR'ed, not to mention Masks & Social Distancing factors too...

With the large 'Spike' in Houston COVID numbers, Harris County is 'rolling back' and more places (Bars & Restaurants specifically) are under restrictions / shut down, which makes a place to meet up difficult.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

I wonder if we can just do BBQs & such, and forgo trying to dance around doomer restrictions?  Not necessarily at peoples' houses, of course.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

When there's more than a dozen folks, we absolutely need to look into making a phone/text/etc tree
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wonder if we can just do BBQs & such, and forgo trying to dance around doomer restrictions?  Not necessarily at peoples' houses, of course.
View Quote

Hmm if only there was member here that would put on a BBQ
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for feedback guys.  I’m actually in the mountains of East TN but my job will have me in Houston every other week for next few years (in theory).  Will be nice to meet some of you guys in the 50% chance that things get jiggy when I’m away from home.  

Couple questions for you guys

- is it straight suicide to ride an adv bike to work down town there? (1250gsa)

- any ideas for caching a get home back so I don’t have to fly with it every week?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for feedback guys.  I’m actually in the mountains of East TN but my job will have me in Houston every other week for next few years (in theory).  Will be nice to meet some of you guys in the 50% chance that things get jiggy when I’m away from home.  

Couple questions for you guys

- is it straight suicide to ride an adv bike to work down town there? (1250gsa)

- any ideas for caching a get home back so I don’t have to fly with it every week?
View Quote

That distance on a bike every couple weeks?  That sounds extremely hazardous.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
you couldn't pay me enough to ride a bike in Houston.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I was riding from Clearlake to Cypress & back 5 days a week ...

Had to stop because so many Terrible drivers were actively trying to help my awful "EX" cash out a Million Dollar Life Policy on me.

I'm NEVER going to die first, (just so I can treat her to some Champaign that I've filtered through my Kidneys)

If you ride on ONE major highway, perhaps you could use the HOV Lane on your bike, which would keep you away from most of the traffic backups & some of the terrible drivers.

Multiple Highways ...  Forget about it!

What Nictra said is pretty spot on - Houston Sucks for riding in - around town.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
bummer, thanks.   not that distance every week lol.  i just meant parking my bike in houston and riding it from airport to hotel to work.  sounds like i should stick with rental car.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Montgomery county here and am willing to Meetup up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a little bit of a commute, but one hell of a spot!

Bonus - Sleep Over in the Pole Barn in January...

@wolfjflywheel
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Basically had to remove the unit from his truck and had to leave behind the cables and stuff.
I know nothing about ham though. I need a separation  cable , antenna, and coax. I made a post in gd about where to get this stuff and checked a couple of sites recommended but idk what the hell im looking at.

Also have a icom ht w32a that I've been trying to learn. But both batteries are crap and I need to buy new ones. For now I just have the charging cord to power it up.

Id like to get it all setup to where we can be able to contact one another if shit goes south.

View Quote

@Codyboy what part of town are you in?  I have spare parts and all if you need basic help hooking up.  

GRMS might be better if you're looking to keep your family licensed and operate legally outside of an emergency.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in Liberty County / East of HTX.  I have taken Aaron Franklin's Masterclass on BBQ twice and can cook some really good food. I'm up for a meet and I have room for a dozen or so at the table.  I was a competition BBQ cook prior to the classes and two of my staff/team won Houston grand champ.  Also, I like AR15s.
I don't do sides.  Just brisket for now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
NW county area near Jersey Village.

Just met a few local folks (apparently some of the hiking group).
They got me on signal.
Email is best on here, I don't check IM often.

@xdmickey, nictra, codaboy

I'm near you guys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can help you with the basics. In the past I've run CB base station and mobile radios for years. Used to have a ham tech license as well.
Still have all the equipment.  Email me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm interested.

Highland Village.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#33]
What info is needed for Signal?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What info is needed for Signal?
Thanks
View Quote

Phone number.  It's basically an instant message app that isn't controlled by Google and can't be read easily by non-recipients.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I am located on the west side in Houston.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am located on the west side in Houston.
View Quote

A lot of us are north or south, I think; PM me if you know of any good hiking, camping, or meeting/restaurant spots out there, since I want to find more "intermediate" locations for meets
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can help you with the basics. In the past I've run CB base station and mobile radios for years. Used to have a ham tech license as well.
Still have all the equipment.  Email me.
View Quote
You wanna do a little impromptu class mayhap? I haven't done anything with Ham since I was in the Guard and a guy in my unit was a Ham nut. Had all kinds of goodies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Signal sounds like suck.  They want tracking on your phone before it will let you use it on a computer.  Remember how that worked out for parler?

And what about people who don't have a phone that they let it run on?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Signal sounds like suck.  They want tracking on your phone before it will let you use it on a computer.  Remember how that worked out for parler?

And what about people who don't have a phone that they let it run on?
View Quote

I don't trust signal. I don't have a better solution that's free however.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#40]
https://signal.org/en/
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#41]
@gettingstarted
PM me your signal contact info and i can add you to those groups
View Quote
I used to be in Houston and my wife and I plan to return in a few years once .fed releases me. I'll shoot you a pm

@jlukem
I don't trust signal. I don't have a better solution that's free however.
View Quote
what are your concerns about signal? I'm pretty confident that .gov can't read it if that's your concern. If you're worried about the servers getting taken out I suppose that's possible
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm hosting an APC Ruck/Hike/Walk/Sit gathering at Tom Bass Park in south Houston this weekend at 10am-1pm, meeting at a Mediterranean place afterward for lunch.  Any chance you'll be able to come by?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Houston-Crew-Meet-and-Ruck-This-Saturday-1-23-/8-651521/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top