Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Texas HTF Discord Server (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthEndXGF] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Gentlemen, in a true SHTF situation, runners are the only secure means of comms.

At best the comms avenues y'all are exploring should be limited to alert notifications and putting a preplanned 'response' into action. Anything using electronics can and will be compromised.
View Quote

this isn't intended to be anything but a way to alert TX arfcommers of anything emergency related.

i wouldn't suggest planning any details or doing anything in discord you wouldn't do elsewhere on the internet.

it's just a way to reach a bunch of us quickly if needed, a Texas bat-signal if you will

and maybe plan some dinners or something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SouthEndXGF:

this isn't intended to be anything but a way to alert TX arfcommers of anything emergency related.

i wouldn't suggest planning any details or doing anything in discord you wouldn't do elsewhere on the internet.

it's just a way to reach a bunch of us quickly if needed, a Texas bat-signal if you will

and maybe plan some dinners or something.
View Quote

Pm sent, thanks for setting it all up
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sent an IM last night.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
PM’d
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Oops I sent an email instead of a pm
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Sent a PM last night as well, nothing yet
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
tagscribe

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
@SouthEndXGF I've set up a Telegram channel.  Telegram is encrypted comms, and an app you can download on your apple/android device.  If anyone wants to get added, please IM me.  This is not meant to be in competition with discord/arfcom or anywhere else.  It's merely a secure channel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
@SouthEndXGF I've set up a Telegram channel.  Telegram is encrypted comms, and an app you can download on your apple/android device.  If anyone wants to get added, please IM me.  This is not meant to be in competition with discord/arfcom or anywhere else.  It's merely a secure channel.
View Quote

Everything I'm reading says that Telegram chats are NOT encrypted end to end, only the one-on-one texts messages are e2e encrypted.  Do I have bad info?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Everything I'm reading says that Telegram chats are NOT encrypted end to end, only the one-on-one texts messages are e2e encrypted.  Do I have bad info?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is correct.  In a group chat, the messages are encrypted, then decrypted on the server, then re-encrypted when sent back to the clients.  Only personal messages are encrypted end to end.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hondaciv] [#14]

That is correct.  In a group chat, the messages are encrypted, then decrypted on the server, then re-encrypted when sent back to the clients.  Only personal messages are encrypted end to end.
View All Quotes

edited to add:  I know why discord is a popular option and I don't disagree with the reasons.  Group chat, moderation, etc.  And I'd love a fully e2e solution, especially open source that includes group chat if one exists.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]

edited to add:  I know why discord is a popular option and I don't disagree with the reasons.  Group chat, moderation, etc.  And I'd love a fully e2e solution, especially open source that includes group chat if one exists.
View Quote

Signal is e2e for both single and group texts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Signal has group txts, but I don't see a way to make channels.  With channels you can have groups within channels.  Setup moderation.  Have polls, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#17]
You can kind of test drive Telegram if you like here:  https://t.me/joinchat/SzSiDf610VSdyz5g

It's the virgina lobby guys channel.  Posted here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/POLICY-CHANGE-FOR-ARFCOM-Please-Read-and-Comment/5-2412040/?page=27#i90388659
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Signal has group txts, but I don't see a way to make channels.  With channels you can have groups within channels.  Setup moderation.  Have polls, etc.
View Quote

I know nothing except what I've read about these things the past few weeks.

For me, Discord fits the bill for all the fun social crap.  If things take a really drastic turn, or if Discord kicks us off for some reason, then I'm going to want a more secure form of communication and won't be interested in fun stuff any longer.

Or, to look at it another way:

Taking a lot of time and effort to organize secure comms is all a waste if it's not really secure.  Discord isn't secure, but it is private, and it sure is simple and we've already got everything set up for us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#19]
DaTrueDave  etc

Ya'll keep talking about " SECURE " and "UNSECURE "as  some sort of impenetrable encrypted end to end chat system.  It's simply not.

In general nothing is secure.  PGP and SSL are pretty good end to end but its only as secure as the people you are talking to.

Nothing about what is going on here, right now, is secure So I dont understand the emphasis on 'secure' being posted on here in these various threads either and it makes it look suspect from the start.

If some of ya'll jump onto some server somewhere and it shows " secure connection ", while this may be decent to some extent, how do you know who is receiving the data on the end and what they will in turn do with that 'secure' chat?  The data sources are still traceable.

If nobody is discussing anything illegal, unethical or job-compromising nonsense, 'secure connections' are not relevant other than to protect passwords and login data interception.  Anyone discussing anything of that nature with anyone on the internet, 'secure' or not, may suffer the consequences.  Even if it's stupid comments on facebook, a LIKE or twitter or live streaming yourself doing something stupid, getting yourself fired, you don't have the free speech you believe you do, even if its 'secure'.  Someone WILL infiltrate it, copy it, paste it and you will be '''outed''' anyway.  As the nation becomes controlled by leftest communists, your free speech is going to be eliminated, restricted, curtailed and analyzed by your employer.

Everyone is being targeted by communist pieces of shit, to get them fired from their jobs. If you post political comments about specific things online, you are dumb. It's not worth it.

DONT POST STUPID SHIT ON THE INTERNET.  "SECURE" is not relevant.    Delete facebook, delete twitter, dont install parler, and do not participate in comment sections, THE END.  

Unless you are retired or financially independent.  You will be a target. Political persecutions of individuals are about to be a nationwide epidemic with the house/senate/whitehouse/DOJ under the control of communists.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
DaTrueDave  etc

Ya'll keep talking about " SECURE " and "UNSECURE "as  some sort of impenetrable encrypted end to end chat system.  It's simply not.

In general nothing is secure.  PGP and SSL are pretty good end to end but its only as secure as the people you are talking to.

Nothing about what is going on here, right now, is secure So I dont understand the emphasis on 'secure' being posted on here in these various threads either and it makes it look suspect from the start.

If some of ya'll jump onto some server somewhere and it shows " secure connection ", while this may be decent to some extent, how do you know who is receiving the data on the end and what they will in turn do with that 'secure' chat?  The data sources are still traceable.

If nobody is discussing anything illegal, unethical or job-compromising nonsense, 'secure connections' are not relevant other than to protect passwords and login data interception.  Anyone discussing anything of that nature with anyone on the internet, 'secure' or not, may suffer the consequences.  Even if it's stupid comments on facebook, a LIKE or twitter or live streaming yourself doing something stupid, getting yourself fired, you don't have the free speech you believe you do, even if its 'secure'.  Someone WILL infiltrate it, copy it, paste it and you will be '''outed''' anyway.  As the nation becomes controlled by leftest communists, your free speech is going to be eliminated, restricted, curtailed and analyzed by your employer.

Everyone is being targeted by communist pieces of shit, to get them fired from their jobs. If you post political comments about specific things online, you are dumb. It's not worth it.

DONT POST STUPID SHIT ON THE INTERNET.  "SECURE" is not relevant.    Delete facebook, delete twitter, dont install parler, and do not participate in comment sections, THE END.  

Unless you are retired or financially independent.  You will be a target. Political persecutions of individuals are about to be a nationwide epidemic with the house/senate/whitehouse/DOJ under the control of communists.

View Quote

Secure is relative.  We should all be clear about that.  There's also a really big difference between a service that bills itself as secure, and one that tells you it collects your information and identity and shares it with its partners.  I'm done giving away my information and activities for free.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of us really need that invite.  Time critical right now with arfcom getting nuked by the dns overlords.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
About to send a PM. Have to create a Discord since I don’t have one yet.

On the topic of what to use, I’d highly suggest Keybase. It’s a app that is used by a lot of the 3D printing people to design, improve designs, and show off builds.

Perks include:

1) Encryption. Yes it’s impossible to fully “secured.” However, as someone else said, you want to make yourself a hard of a target as possible. Don’t just make it easier for them. Obviously you’ll also have to worry about who is joining your groups wherever you are.

2) Can create a Team on Keybase for Texas Gun Owners for example. Then different channels under that for hangouts, bullshitting, showing off guns, raising the red flag when SHTF, etc.

3) You can set the messages to “explode” (disappear) after a set amount of time if you want to.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#23]
ANYWAYS... back on topic.

Has anyone received an invite? Is this still a thing or do we need someone else to fire this up?

@SouthEndXGF
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a temporary discord I set up until we can merge into this one: https://discord.gg/R6kCQX8Sud
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I got one, said it was expired. I logged in anyway, went through the 10 levels of hell to verify I wasn't a robot. I'm in, but no group.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#26]
pm'd
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#27]
If you guys don’t get a reply from south end send me your contact info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#28]
Ya'll don't have to do -anything- but open a browser window and go to usairc.org and click WEBCHAT. The resources are already there.

It asks for nothing but a nickname, and even that is auto-completed to a default.

No Email. No phone numbers, No nothing.

And frankly if you are not already using a VPN to mask your connection data you are crazy.  Or at least a PROXY.

Thats just as " secure " as anything else and my IP shows me in SWITZERLAND.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
PM'd
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Pm sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Southend, I'm interested, but the damn captcha isn't working right when I tried to email you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Drakich:
Southend, I'm interested, but the damn captcha isn't working right when I tried to email you.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Numenor:
Here is a temporary discord I set up until we can merge into this one: https://discord.gg/R6kCQX8Sud
View Quote

Says it's invalid or expired.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jordanmills:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jordanmills:

It shouldn't.  I just checked and it is set to infinite use, no time limit.

https://discord.gg/R6kCQX8Sud
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#37]
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#38]
DaTrueDave  etc

View Quote

Ugh...  You're right about some stuff, and dead wrong about other stuff.

You're right that technologically secure communications don't do anything to protect against social hacking.  It doesn't matter if you're using encryption that would take the NSA a million years to break when a baseball bat can beat the password out of you.  (That concept is immortalized in an XKCD comic:  https://xkcd.com/538/ )

But using a platform that is inherently secure (Signal/Telegram) is better than using a platform that has no security (IRC) or a platform that has security but on their terms because they want to read everything (WhatsApp).  The philosophy behind the platform is also important.  Is it a platform that wants to provide encrypted communication to everyone, or does it have an agenda?  Is it only for these guys, or those guys?

A time is rapidly approaching where it will be good to be able to communicate with end to end encryption.  Yes, that's only as secure as the people on the ends, but it's something.  Knowing that nobody is eavesdropping is a very good thing.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#39]

You're right that technologically secure communications don't do anything to protect against social hacking.  It doesn't matter if you're using encryption that would take the NSA a million years to break when a baseball bat can beat the password out of you.  (That concept is immortalized in an XKCD comic:  https://xkcd.com/538/ )

But using a platform that is inherently secure (Signal/Telegram) is better than using a platform that has no security (IRC) or a platform that has security but on their terms because they want to read everything (WhatsApp).  The philosophy behind the platform is also important.  Is it a platform that wants to provide encrypted communication to everyone, or does it have an agenda?  Is it only for these guys, or those guys?

A time is rapidly approaching where it will be good to be able to communicate with end to end encryption.  Yes, that's only as secure as the people on the ends, but it's something.  Knowing that nobody is eavesdropping is a very good thing.  
View All Quotes
DaTrueDave  etc

Correct, and unfortunately a lot of us were lax on getting comms setup already to do that.  So Discord imho is a temporary measure until we can get the secure stuff setup.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#40]
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#41]

View Quote

VS, what, here, that has NO security?  This is all public.  So something being secure or not, is not relevant.  Every post on here is public, so the sudden desire for something 'secure' does not make sense.  And, even if it is, now you are securely talking to the FBI?  Are you going to ask everyone for their ID before "access is granted " ?  And who would do that?

"nobody eavesdropping" is not possible.  Complacency is a bad idea. And being required to provide your phone number email address or 'verification' makes it possible to track you indefinately.

The suggestion of usairc.org requires none of that. And a simple VPN or Proxy conceals your location and identity as good as 'encryption' does and it's much easier to implement vs some convoluted time consuming verification thing being proposed here.

The resources of usairc are already available to everyone. click. Done.  No questions asked.

But, in any case, 'secure' or not, if you say or type something on there vs what you would on here in public, you are an imbecile.  ( you is a general term, not YOU )

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Correct, and unfortunately a lot of us were lax on getting comms setup already to do that.  So Discord imho is a temporary measure until we can get the secure stuff setup.
View Quote

I just setup a Keybase team for TX gun owners. I’m not sure if it’ll catch on but it’s worth a shot. Encrypted (Discord), don’t have to share phone numbers (Signal), and can set your messages to disappear (similar to Snapchat).

https://keybase.io/team/txgunowners
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FreedomForAll:

I just setup a Keybase team for TX gun owners. I’m not sure if it’ll catch on but it’s worth a shot. Encrypted (Discord), don’t have to share phone numbers (Signal), and can set your messages to disappear (similar to Snapchat).

https://keybase.io/team/txgunowners
View Quote

Screenshots of your " private comms" can end up on social media sites to " Turn you in ".  

Nothing dissapears.

Don't fall for this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#44]

VS, what, here, that has NO security?  This is all public.  So something being secure or not, is not relevant.  Every post on here is public, so the sudden desire for something 'secure' does not make sense.  And, even if it is, now you are securely talking to the FBI?  Are you going to ask everyone for their ID before "access is granted " ?  And who would do that?
View All Quotes

"This" just ended temporarily.  AR15.com doesn't exist for the moment.  Do you think these sorts of attacks won't continue?  Do you think there's zero possibility that these sort of attacks succeed in eliminating "this"?

"nobody eavesdropping" is not possible.
 Wrong.  

But, in any case, 'secure' or not, if you say or type something on there vs what you would on here in public, you are an imbecile.  ( you is a general term, not YOU )
 End to end encryption eliminates the eavesdropping, but I don't disagree with your sentiment.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#45]

It shouldn't.  I just checked and it is set to infinite use, no time limit.

https://discord.gg/R6kCQX8Sud
View Quote

I might have been unpersoned there.  Not sure why.  I haven't used it in months.  I'm seeing people online, but getting errors when loading channels.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#46]
keep in mind Discord isn't secure at all.  It's not even intended to be secure.  I would propose a Signal channel.
View Quote

Keep in mind Signal is purely chat; you'll go nuts if you try to have more than a dozen members in a single thread.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Keep in mind Signal is purely chat; you'll go nuts if you try to have more than a dozen members in a single thread.
View All Quotes
keep in mind Discord isn't secure at all.  It's not even intended to be secure.  I would propose a Signal channel.

Isn't it like any other text messaging app?  

I'll agree it becomes unwieldy with large groups, but it can still work if people are able to exercise a bit of restraint.  

It's not a social app, it's a communication app.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Suggest something better.  I’m all ears.  Something encrypted and open source.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I will get more invites out this evening. I usually am able to send them out every evening - my schedule is late due to my job.

Thanks for your patience.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#50]
So you have to get " permission " to join up ?

Ya'll are making it way more difficult and cumbersome than it needs to be.
Page / 3
Tacked Texas HTF Discord Server (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top