Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 12:30:55 PM EDT
Models are showing a mid to upper Texas, Corpus to Galveston,  landfall late Friday with the possibility of a Cat1 hurricane as a possibility.  If you are along the coast, even the upper Texas and Louisiana coastline, you need to watch this one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Note to self: Beer run on Thursday.

Looks like LOTS of rain coming.
I am up by Pt.Arthur,we will get the
wrap around this time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it will push all these dam screw bugs out of here
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thursday is my daughters move in day at Corpus Christi A & M.

Hell, they are right across the road from the bay.

I thought it might be a cold day in Hell for a Cougar Highs guys daughter to go to a A & M system school but  looks like a wet day in South Texas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought it might be a cold day in Hell for a Cougar Highs guys daughter to go to a A & M system school but  looks like a wet day in South Texas.
View Quote
I went there for 2 years. It was a good school with lots to do. She will have fun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Port A now, maybe going home early.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guess you won't be heading down there: @TEXASROOTERSBROTHER

TAMU-CC Code Blue: Tropical Depression Harvey is headed toward the Gulf Coast. As the safety of our students, faculty and staff is our top priority, we are announcing the closure and evacuation of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi starting at noon on Thursday, August 24, through Saturday, August 26.

Resident students must leave by 7 a.m. on Thursday, and will receive additional information. Campus will be closed for re-entry starting at noon on Thursday. All events scheduled between noon Thursday and Saturday are cancelled. Move-in events are postponed until further notice. Non-essential faculty and staff need to prepare their individual workspaces by noon Thursday. Additional instructions will come from the IT department.

We urge you to use caution in your travel plans. We will continue to monitor the storm and will provide another update Thursday morning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have lived through a bunch of cat 1s. This one looks like rain may the biggest issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TAMU-CC Code Blue: Tropical Depression Harvey is headed toward the Gulf Coast. As the safety of our students, faculty and staff is our top priority, we are announcing the closure and evacuation of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi starting at noon on Thursday, August 24, through Saturday, August 26.

Resident students must leave by 7 a.m. on Thursday, and will receive additional information. Campus will be closed for re-entry starting at noon on Thursday. All events scheduled between noon Thursday and Saturday are cancelled. Move-in events are postponed until further notice. Non-essential faculty and staff need to prepare their individual workspaces by noon Thursday. Additional instructions will come from the IT department.

We urge you to use caution in your travel plans. We will continue to monitor the storm and will provide another update Thursday morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, you actually posted this before she told me.
I am just a support unit it seems.

I was working late in a cotton gin last night and my mind is kind of fried.  The prospect of two or three weeks of sixteen hour days scares me a little. Ike was much worse than Alicia and Carla was worse yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in Port A now, maybe going home early.
View Quote
Surf's up bro!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If anyone is interested, the link below is to the Texas Emergency Operations Center sitreps and weather briefs. 

Daily sitreps, FEMA weather briefings, and hurricane sitreps.

Looks like it's gonna stall and rain...and rain...and rain....

Stay Woke!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested, the link below is to the Texas Emergency Operations Center sitreps and weather briefs. 

Daily sitreps, FEMA weather briefings, and hurricane sitreps.

Looks like it's gonna stall and rain...and rain...and rain....

Stay Woke!
View Quote
My 21 year old daughter lives in CC.  Wife is on the road working and is going to swing by, get daughter and the dog, and head back to Ft Worth.  Daughter is going to drive her brand new car.  She lives on the third floor so flooding is not a concern for us, just the car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 21 year old daughter lives in CC.  Wife is on the road working and is going to swing by, get daughter and the dog, and head back to Ft Worth.  Daughter is going to drive her brand new car.  She lives on the third floor so flooding is not a concern for us, just the car.
View Quote
Sounds like a plan. I saw a projection of 3' & 4' surge along most of the coast from Galveston to South Padre. They're also looking at 20+" of rain in the Goliad area...and that's gotta drain off somehow. 

Un-assing the area seems like a prudent move. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This one looks like rain may the biggest issue.
View Quote
Two feet of it, according to some models.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I live on the south side of corpus but at least I'm not a Bluff Rat.  I don't really want to try out my home owners ins, lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live on the south side of corpus but at least I'm not a Bluff Rat.  I don't really want to try out my home owners ins, lol.
View Quote
You have a flood policy, don't you? Regular homeowners policy usually doesn't cover flood damage. 

Just a heads up if you weren't aware. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You have a flood policy, don't you? Regular homeowners policy usually doesn't cover flood damage. 

Just a heads up if you weren't aware. 
View Quote
Yeah, I have flood and wind storm.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
South side here too. We live in a 2nd floor apartment off staples and Saratoga so I'm not worried about flooding but we also have a three month old and I don't wanna sit in an apartment with no A/C for days on end.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in corpus near the Malls. We're gonna hunker down. Flooding will be our biggest issue, specially if Harvey stalls once it makes landfall. Wife was at HEB at Moore Plaza at 6am loading up for the long haul. FYI, the Isles were plentiful at that location..
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I was just watching Click2Houston but they haven't interviewed Quanell X yet so I'm not sure how to prepare. Without his words of wisdom we're all gonna DIE!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in corpus near the Malls. We're gonna hunker down. Flooding will be our biggest issue, specially if Harvey stalls once it makes landfall. Wife was at HEB at Moore Plaza at 6am loading up for the long haul. FYI, the Isles were plentiful at that location..
View Quote
I am South side I am staying unless it gets nuts greater than cat3.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got a text from the wife. Up to Cat 3 now..???
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just got a text from the wife. Up to Cat 3 now..???
View Quote
I am looking and it hasnt even been upgraded to a cat 1 what I am seeing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am looking and it hasnt even been upgraded to a cat 1 what I am seeing.
View Quote
I think she's hearing things,...Again. lol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope she's right... expected to go cat 3 within a few hours.

This getting serious
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Forecast as a Cat3 at landfall now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably a good idea to head to Austin...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Look like it tracking toward San Antonio now....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Nature plays The Best game of Chess..!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#29]
South side of Corpus here... I'm getting out of town for a few days and talking ALL the guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
South side of Corpus here... I'm getting out of town for a few days and talking ALL the guns.
View Quote
Same here. Leaving tonight or very early tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was just watching Click2Houston but they haven't interviewed Quanell X yet so I'm not sure how to prepare. Without his words of wisdom we're all gonna DIE!!!!!!
View Quote
Yeah, just leave your doors unlocked when you evacuate so everyone doesn't have to work so hard while you're gone.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Prepare crudely lettered signs to hold up for the cameras, saying "HEP US".

ETA- Poor cashier at Academy was pulling her hair out and people are driving like idiots, more than normal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Yesterday they seem to make a big deal about the 1 million people that are new to texas since 2008 and havent been thru one of these yet. Then at 10pm it was 1.8 million. At noon today it was 3 million.

Anyone else notice this in the weather talk? Never has the amount of new people in the state been brought up or the numbers just growing on there own. Looking for 10million on the nightly news.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yesterday they seem to make a big deal about the 1 million people that are new to texas since 2008 and havent been thru one of these yet. Then at 10pm it was 1.8 million. At noon today it was 3 million.

Anyone else notice this in the weather talk? Never has the amount of new people in the state been brought up or the numbers just growing on there own. Looking for 10million on the nightly news.
View Quote
The storm's intensity has steadily been increasing...which means it will impact a greater area...and more people. 

The frightening part being, we haven'd had a major hurricane hit the US in 12 years. 2005 was before 2008, so there are a bunch of people who have no historical frame of reference for what to expect.

They're the geniuses who are planning to hunker down and have a hurricane party on the barrier islands. There are a butt-load of them...and a lot will die. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep. I was in Baton Rouge for Katrina and Gustav. I moved to Houston area 2 years ago. I'm realizing a lot of folks over here don't take these things very serious. I had many family members in New Orleans and Mississippi. New Orleans is a fishbowl with a ton of canals that had levee failure.

Texas coastline isn't anything like Louisiana but it still has drainage issues and a lot of rivers and lakes. You don't realize how quick the water or tidal surge can rise till it's too late.

I'm in Katy and if we get the rainfall they say, it could be reason to evacuate. I'm a little too close to the Addicks reservoir for comfort.

Stay safe and don't take any chances.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#38]
A guy I know was posting pics on Facebook of the bread aisle in Walmart in Hallettsville at lunch today.

Stripped bare.

75 miles inland.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#39]
FML, this doesn't look good, I'm in Port Lavaca.  Already got the notice from work to not go in Friday night.  Was gonna hunker down but if it's greater than a Cat 1, might drive outta here Friday.
Sister offered me to stay with her in Houston but I'm not sure if that a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Wife is freaking out our first hurricane and I am out of town. I was supposed to fly back to Houston Saturday, we just bumped the flight up to tomorrow afternoon. I have a feeling I wont make it home before it gets crazy.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Wonder if I should go neck beard all the generators up here now to resale down there next week?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
South side here too. We live in a 2nd floor apartment off staples and Saratoga so I'm not worried about flooding but we also have a three month old and I don't wanna sit in an apartment with no A/C for days on end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be concerned for you car.  ;)

And my daughter is in the same area as you.  Well, she was....She is in Austin tonight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hope you can get out tonight.. I worry traffic will be a nightmare tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This.

There are a couple members posting in the GD thread that are going to get people killed if they follow the advice.  pc, I don't know if you heard it, but after Katrina, in Waveland, people were saying "Camille killed a lot of people during this storm".

They meant that most people knew Camille was a Cat 5 and since Katrina wasn't, they would ride it out.  Every storm is different, but going by just the recon numbers, I'd be bailing out  of anywhere close to the Gulf or a bay or tributary that feeds into the Gulf.
View Quote
I remember hearing that analogy. Made sense then, makes sense now, only it's gonna be Ike that gets them kilt this go around. 

I'm with you. I'd bail out of the affected area in a heartbeat. My shit is insured and I can always get more shit. My life is another matter. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wife is freaking out our first hurricane and I am out of town. I was supposed to fly back to Houston Saturday, we just bumped the flight up to tomorrow afternoon. I have a feeling I wont make it home before it gets crazy.  
View Quote
The winds are due to begin hitting the coast tomorrow morning about 8AM. You won't be flying into Houston on Saturday. 

Incidentally, I heard on the news that a lot of the airlines are letting people switch flights, go standby, etc. at no extra cost due to the storm. Might be worth a call. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in Katy if anyone further south needs a place to hunker down for a night or two, I've got 2 full spare bedrooms.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, anyone that thinks they can just up and go right before shoyld google hurricane rita traffic. I remember it jammed up to dallas. People pitched tents on I45 up here near conroe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#49]
does anyone know what Houston traffic is like now?  I'm about bail out of here around midnight.  It'll be a 2.5 hr drive normally from where I'm at to Houston.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
does anyone know what Houston traffic is like now?  I'm about bail out of here around midnight.  It'll be a 2.5 hr drive normally from where I'm at to Houston.
View Quote
It's surprisingly not bad at all right now. Just saw that it's 24 mins from 99 (Grand Pkwy) to I-45. Ill take that any day of the week.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top