Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2017 4:28:29 PM EDT
What did you score in the shooting portion of your LTC class?

Be honest...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't remember what the scale was but I missed one because of a bad primer so I "missed" a shot. 

It wasnt that hard of a test... I kinda thought it was a joke. I kept thinking there has to be more then this?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect scores both times I've taken it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
253 last time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have been 251, but they marked it 248.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't remember what the scale was but I missed one because of a bad primer so I "missed" a shot. 

It wasnt that hard of a test... I kinda thought it was a joke. I kept thinking there has to be more then this?
View Quote
Even then, some of the others I took the class with scared the shit out of me... even at the stupid close distance..

And these were "country boys"...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Perfect score, up for retest this fall.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even then, some of the others I took the class with scared the shit out of me... even at the stupid close distance..

And these were "country boys"...
View Quote
The first time I took it there was a lady that all her shots were between center and bottom right. Some of the worst shooting I've seen in person and she passed.

Both times I've taken it the instructor has walked up behind me and said "Nice shooting."

I think the have more people come through that can't shoot than those that do, and I'm nothing special.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Chl target by Rusty Shackleford, on Flickr

Holy shit, i figured out flickr. Havent posted a pic since photobucket screwed us all.

Edit to add pistol used.
Springfield xd 4" 9mm
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Maximum points.   Ez pz.

I was afraid of being shot by the woman next to me.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
We were shooting in a open room... Lady on my right told me she had suffered some brain trauma, was a little slow processing things... I had to reach over and push her Daddy's 9mm something away a couple of times
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
253 last time.
View Quote
You shot extra shots or the knucklehead next to you add a few?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Should have been 251, but they marked it 248.
View Quote
50 shots x 5 points per shot.....

250. ??
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know my official score as when I took it, the instructor pulled targets and simply told us either pass/fail.  Said it was that way as a court case hinged on the final score of the carry test.  Its been a while (almost 10 years).  

Could be hersey/whatever, that's just what he told us.  (Bullet Trap Plano).

Also I shot major so all you 9mm fools need to deduct points!

Shooting portion is pretty easy.  But then again, its should weed out the functionally 'special' and let citizens (bad shots or no) exercise their rights.

Oregon (who honors like no one else's permits) had no test, I took the course one night in the local Police Chief's Garage.  It was more like a BS story swap (ok not that bad).  

Meh at least we have a test (even though most other states don't).  I think its about right where it needs to be.  Others may differ.  We should drink beer and discuss it. But mostly drink beer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You shot extra shots or the knucklehead next to you add a few?
View Quote
Guy next to me shot my target in the nutsack for 3 extra.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know my official score as when I took it, the instructor pulled targets and simply told us either pass/fail.  Said it was that way as a court case hinged on the final score of the carry test.  Its been a while (almost 10 years).  

View Quote
<----took my initial and renewal classes at the Bullet Trap and they did they same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

50 shots x 5 points per shot.....

250. ??
View Quote
Lady next to me shot a 3 zone on my target. Nobody believed me. Guess it should be 253 like RenX. 

She didn't pass though, so there's that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's bullshit.  ;)     I didn't grade targets, just counted holes until I got to 175, that's a pass.  State only cares if you pass/fail.  That's all I put on the paperwork I kept.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]
250/250 on both that I've taken. Both targets looked almost identical to the others posted above.

And I concur about the comments made about other qualifiers. Scary that for some it was their 1st time shooting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<----took my initial and renewal classes at the Bullet Trap and they did they same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've taken three shooting test, the original and two renewals, and that's the way all three went. No score, just pass or fail.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Median student score I see is around 225-230 on target and 22-23 on the written. 

Doesn't matter what they score, I tell them they can always do better. I'll shoot it every now and then and that's what I tell myself - that group could always be smaller.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
one big hole in the middle of the target
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
one big hole in the middle of the target
View Quote
I'll never forget the instructor telling me i needed to shoot faster. That eating the center out ment your to slow.

I just said "i disagree" and left it at that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Perfect score. 

The lady next to me almost shot her finger off
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#26]
249... I pulled my first shot high and left 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Perfect score with my full size USP45. I've only taken it once though, I expire in 2020 so I imagine I'll need to retake it then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what our instructor told us also.  He also advised not taking pictures of the target.  FWIW
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Perfect score on the shooting portion, missed one question on the written test.

I probably couldn't do it again (too rusty), but I was fairly active in IDPA at the time. After the first couple distances, I started pysching myself out because I had a chance at a perfect score...

Overall the shooting portion was a lot easier than I was expecting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also I shot major so all you 9mm fools need to deduct points!

Shooting portion is pretty easy.  But then again, its should weed out the functionally 'special' and let citizens (bad shots or no) exercise their rights.

Oregon (who honors like no one else's permits) had no test, I took the course one night in the local Police Chief's Garage.  It was more like a BS story swap (ok not that bad).  

Meh at least we have a test (even though most other states don't).  I think its about right where it needs to be.  Others may differ.  We should drink beer and discuss it. But mostly drink beer.
View Quote
+1

I think Texas really has a good balance. Anybody can buy a gun and keep it on their property, but if you want to carry it in public you need to prove you're not a complete retard that's going to accidentally shoot somebody else in the foot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#31]
247 Myself and the Wife shot 242.
i used my Ruger SR1911 and she used a G30
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is what our instructor told us also.  He also advised not taking pictures of the target.  FWIW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not true. How could your score ever matter?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I shot perfect last renewal that I had to. There was a lady in the class that shot better than her husband - it was the first time she handled a gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still have three of my targets. Go figure.

Over the years, a 247, 248 twice and a 249. I had the wind blow the target over just as I shot on two of those.
The instructor thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Perfect score with my full size USP45. I've only taken it once though, I expire in 2020 so I imagine I'll need to retake it then.
View Quote
You only had one chance for bragging rights, now you just renew online. Will be a whole $35 in less than a month.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Perfect score and won a 6 pack from the instructor.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Perfect score and won a 6 pack from the instructor.  
View Quote
Dam that would have been cool
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Perfect score.

But i was shooting my full size Colt 1991 at the time. The only other auto i owned at the time was on loan to my wife\gf. I was carrying a Ruger SP101 around at the time, but i didnt want a revolver only license. That was a stupid restriction back then.

People were struggling with thier subcompact 3" autos they had bought for the course.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Perfect score.

But i was shooting my full size Colt 1991 at the time. The only other auto i owned at the time was on loan to my wife\gf. I was carrying a Ruger SP101 around at the time, but i didnt want a revolver only license. That was a stupid restriction back then.

People were struggling with thier subcompact 3" autos they had bought for the course.
View Quote
Probably would have been better if we all said what pistol we used.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#40]
A Taurus PT 99, a PT 945, and a Glock 30.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]

1st with G26 (38x, 8-10, 3-9, 1-8 = 495-38x?) 2nd with 1937 Mauser Luger (35x, 11-10, 4-9 = 496-35x?).

RO went down the line before the last one showing the shooters how to manipulate their pistols.  He looked at the Luger and just said "you know how to use that?" I nodded and he continued on.  I remember he stood behind me for the first round to make sure I could hit the broad side of a barn.  Don't blame him as I imagine some new shooters arrive with grandpa's gun and no idea how to use it.

They were very kind to one woman and let her retake the shooting portion after a short training session.  She was a couple lanes over and I think she may have hit my neighbors target more than once.

I don't know why they have a shooting test when it's so easy for a terrible shooter to pass.  However, I also think citizens should be able to carry as long as they don't have a felony regardless of ability (hoping they practice but a right is a right).  I guess it was just a way to appease the libs when carry law got passed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was not clear.  Sorry as I am not much of a writer.  Anyway, the attorney at the seminar after the class said that if involved in a lawsuit being very accurate could bring up the question as to why one shot to kill rather that just shoot to wound nthe offender.  I am not a lawyer.  Just stating what they said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was not clear.  Sorry as I am not much of a writer.  Anyway, the attorney at the seminar after the class said that if involved in a lawsuit being very accurate could bring up the question as to why one shot to kill rather that just shoot to wound nthe offender.  I am not a lawyer.  Just stating what they said.
View Quote
Bunch of bs...

If deadly force is justified, deadly force is justified..
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lawer can make a case out of anything. Thats there job.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bunch of bs...

View Quote
In a trial I would agree.  In a lawsuit, not so much.  IMO
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bunch of bs...

I got mine in the first bunch in 1996 that was good for two years. When I renewed in 1998 we were told they no longer put the actual scores on your paperwork, just pass/fail. The instructor said it was because of the potential of someone shooting a low score being used against them in court.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, part of the castle doctrine says that if you were justified in the use of deadly force under the criminal laws, then you are immune from civil liability.

You were taught, trained and tested to shoot center mass.  If a legal precedent was made for shooting to wound the test would include shooting the hand, foot, knee, etc.  

But I'll tell you a secret, ANY time you shoot someone it is deadly force.  It matters not where on the body you shoot them.

Shooting a perfect score vs a 175 matters not.  I challenge anyone to find a case where the shooters score was used to prove that deadly force was not justified.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I got mine in the first bunch in 1996 that was good for two years. When I renewed in 1998 we were told they no longer put the actual scores on your paperwork, just pass/fail. The instructor said it was because of the potential of someone shooting a low score being used against them in court.
View Quote
That is not true either.  Once you reach a 175 you pass.  The score matters not.  Pass/Fail.  How could a "low score" be used against anyone?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is not true either.  Once you reach a 175 you pass.  The score matters not.  Pass/Fail.  How could a "low score" be used against anyone?
View Quote
It was explained as a lack of proficiency. However, you want to explain that. You know how LTC instructors are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top