BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2015 10:55:47 AM EDT
part of the law states holster, belt or shoulder

I read further down that it requires a retention strap,

Yes OR No??

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The law just requires a shoulder or belt holster. Retention is not specified. However, one is a fool if they open carry and don't use a level 2 or greater holster in public.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think a pancake,or belt slide would be fine.

I ordered a G&G shoulder holster,for winter concealed carry.
They are back ordered.............everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

with or with out a retention strap?? I am trying to find the law
I swear it states a retention holster..

TxDps FAQ says it doesn't mention a type of holster beyond belt or shoulder..

anyone have the law I can read??
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not read the law. My head would be on a swivel,if i opened carried in the city.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Final version has no retention requirement. Only mention of retention is to add instruction to the LTC training.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have not read the law. My head would be on a swivel,if i opened carried in the city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I AGREE, just stated to a trainer that the law says retention holster..he said I'm an idiot..
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
While not the law for the individual having the trainer speak of it I feel is a great thing.

One thing I hope they teach as well is if you are making the switch, practice, practice, practice.

I came from an OC state and when I started I didn't have a retention holster, when I made the switch it was very different at first.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I AGREE, just stated to a trainer that the law says retention holster..he said I'm an idiot..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it just has to be a shoulder holster or attached to a belt in some fashion. It does not have to be a level 2 holster.

According to Leander Police Dept.

What kind of holster am I required to use and how can I carry it?

The law indicates that openly carried handguns must be carried "in a shoulder or belt holster" that is "on or about the person." The law does not define what a "shoulder or belt holster" is.

Since an open carried weapon must either be carried in a shoulder holster or a belt holster, will there be a set standard that constitutes what is considered a shoulder or belt holster?

Currently there is no standard that constitutes what is a shoulder or belt holster. We ask that common sense and good judgment be employed when carrying a handgun openly.

Will a "drop down" or "drop leg" holster, attached to a belt, be considered a proper open carry holster?

Yes, as long as it is still mounted to your belt which is the requirement in the law.

Can a paddle holster be used in open carry or does it have to be attached to a belt?

The law specifies a shoulder or belt holster.  A paddle holster should meet this requirement if it is worn clipped to a belt.

Is a "retention holster" required?

It is not required, but it is recommended.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Will a "drop down" or "drop leg" holster, attached to a belt, be considered a proper open carry holster?

Yes, as long as it is still mounted to your belt which is the requirement in the law.

Can a paddle holster be used in open carry or does it have to be attached to a belt?

The law specifies a shoulder or belt holster.  A paddle holster should meet this requirement if it is worn clipped to a belt.
]
View Quote

Those are interesting, thanks!

I wouldn't have considered the drop down attached to a belt is still "belt mounted" and that a paddle must be worn with a belt to be within the law.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Article in the Killeen Daily Hearald this morning quoting the Killeen Chief of Police that a "Drop Leg Holster" does not meet the requirement of being a belt holster.  Think we are going to be in for some very interesting learning curves and too much interpretation between LE Agencies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law two years ago i think said level 2 retention. But was not in this bill.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wouldn't have considered the drop down attached to a belt is still "belt mounted" and that a paddle must be worn with a belt to be within the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

The paddle attaches to the belt, law does not say needs to attached by loops. Most IWB holsters don't use full loops.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Article in the Killeen Daily Hearald this morning quoting the Killeen Chief of Police that a "Drop Leg Holster" does not meet the requirement of being a belt holster.  Think we are going to be in for some very interesting learning curves and too much interpretation between LE Agencies.
View Quote

I don't see how it doesn't. As LPD says, there's no legal definition of a belt holster and a drop leg DOES use the belt.

ETA : I don't see why anyone would be using a drop leg anyway, I don't see a lot of people going out in armor
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wonder what they'd do with an old western rig where the drop leg holster is attached to the belt?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't see how it doesn't. As LPD says, there's no legal definition of a belt holster and a drop leg DOES use the belt.

ETA : I don't see why anyone would be using a drop leg anyway, I don't see a lot of people going out in armor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice to have if you're driving/riding.  Why do LE use them?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a cop, but I would assume they have drop legs on when they also have their vests on which would make it harder to draw from a normal/high ride belt holster.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Retention was specifically not mentioned in the final law that passed, so that is up to your own discretion.  

The Houston Police Chief and the Harris County DA at a November public forum both confirmed that a drop leg holster meets their definition of a belt holster.  Obviously that applies in Harris County, other counties may vary.    

HK Ag

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
this is what I read and am referring to,   mea culpa..

Individuals currently licensed will not be required to attend additional training.  Training curriculum for new applicants will be updated to reflect the new training requirements related to the use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns.  The new curriculum will be required for all classes beginning January 1, 2016.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I would think it would be best to carry at LEAST level 2. I do have a Kydex OWB holster that I use on my War Belt. I would prefer to just OWB carry with a shirt on top, and disregard
any thoughts about accidently printing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would think it would be best to carry at LEAST level 2. I do have a Kydex OWB holster that I use on my War Belt. I would prefer to just OWB carry with a shirt on top, and disregard
any thoughts about accidently printing.
View Quote

Printing has never been against the law
Now with OC it's obviously not an issue

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just waiting on the first news report of an OCer getting his/her gun snatched out of a holster. Instead of a purse snatching, it'll be a gun snatching. SNATCH AND RUN!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Google "Texas house bill 910".    Read it yourself.  Nothing about retention.  Carry in a shitty fobus paddle if you like.  

If I were to open carry I would wear at minimum a level 2 holster.  And the Blackhawk Serpa is not really a level 2, despite their marketing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, Google "Texas house bill 910".    Read it yourself.  Nothing about retention.  Carry in a shitty fobus paddle if you like.  

If I were to open carry I would wear at minimum a level 2 holster.  And the Blackhawk Serpa is not really a level 2, despite their marketing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, that's what I'll use the one time I OC (on the first ) until I find something better.

Quoted:

Because they sometimes have armor and almost always have tons of shit cluttering their belt
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

well, this will be fun..
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#26]
and in all the other states OC is legal you hear about this happening how often ? If it was a problem it would have been ALL OVER the news from the ANTI's  

Quoted:
I'm just waiting on the first news report of an OCer getting his/her gun snatched out of a holster. Instead of a purse snatching, it'll be a gun snatching. SNATCH AND RUN!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Eh, that's what I'll use the one time I OC (on the first ) until I find something better.

Because they sometimes have armor and almost always have tons of shit cluttering their belt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree. The only reason to wear a drop leg holster is to give you enough clearance around the body armor. I only wear mine when I running a warrant with armor on. Otherwise, I'm wearing a standard belt holster (I work in plainclothes). Drop leg holsters work for their intended purpose but they aren't something you want to wear for a long time, in my opinion. They can get kind of uncomfortable and they get in the way. Also, the make it hard to protect your gun if someone does try to snatch it. Weapon retention training is based upon securing the holster in place and the drop leg allows the suspect to yank it around your leg. They look cool, though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd imagine most of us have enough fat to equal the armor cops wear.  Most LE I encounter wear belt holsters but the tactical units I see tend to accessorize drop leg with their cargo pants.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agree. The only reason to wear a drop leg holster is to give you enough clearance around the body armor. I only wear mine when I running a warrant with armor on. Otherwise, I'm wearing a standard belt holster (I work in plainclothes). Drop leg holsters work for their intended purpose but they aren't something you want to wear for a long time, in my opinion. They can get kind of uncomfortable and they get in the way. Also, the make it hard to protect your gun if someone does try to snatch it. Weapon retention training is based upon securing the holster in place and the drop leg allows the suspect to yank it around your leg. They look cool, though.
View Quote

Drop leg is nice to wear if you're driving in a car since they don't get tied up in the seat belt.  I'd imagine running in one would be a pain.  Have you ever attached your's to the plate carrier?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
and in all the other states OC is legal you hear about this happening how often ? If it was a problem it would have been ALL OVER the news from the ANTI's  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking on a national level but on a local level. It's a matter of time until we hear stories locally about gun grabs. Don't know where you are in Texas but it's a matter of time here in the Houston area. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm not going to be naive about it and say it won't ever happen. A retention holster will give you that extra second to figure out what is happening and retain your weapon by whatever means. Idiots have tried to gun grab police officers from behind. What makes you think it won't happen to OCers?
I've seen paddle holsters pulled out of pants as well. Belt holsters with retention all the way for me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd imagine most of us have enough fat to equal the armor cops wear.  Most LE I encounter wear belt holsters but the tactical units I see tend to accessorize drop leg with their cargo pants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then leaning over to try and reach your weapon in the drop leg may be a bit of a stretch.

Quoted:

Pretty much exactly what I've seen with LEO. All belt holsters unless part of a tactical unit or running training in armor out at the local range. There was a huge LEO shoot at Best of the West a few months ago. Cops from all over the state were here. Never seen so many civilians in drop leg holsters and cargo pants in one place
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good set of love handles is just as good at retention as a level 2 holster...
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#33]
So because its not wide spread anywhere else its going to happen in Huston makes sense.

Quoted:

I'm not talking on a national level but on a local level. It's a matter of time until we hear stories locally about gun grabs. Don't know where you are in Texas but it's a matter of time here in the Houston area. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm not going to be naive about it and say it won't ever happen. A retention holster will give you that extra second to figure out what is happening and retain your weapon by whatever means. Idiots have tried to gun grab police officers from behind. What makes you think it won't happen to OCers?
I've seen paddle holsters pulled out of pants as well. Belt holsters with retention all the way for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Drop leg is nice to wear if you're driving in a car since they don't get tied up in the seat belt.  I'd imagine running in one would be a pain.  Have you ever attached your's to the plate carrier?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I have enough stuff on their already and I've never been comfortable with the draw. I've got nearly 30 years of muscle memory reaching for a gun on my hip (or that general area). To be honest, I've only recently started wearing the drop leg and only because someone got a wild hair and issued it to us. I run mine with only one strap and pretty high up so it's snug and fairly close to my hip.

Regarding a retention holster I always hear people arguing against it for OC because they never hear about a gun grab on an open carrier. That seems like a poor reason to not take a little precaution. Something like a Safariland ALS belt holster has a very unobtrusive retention system and it doesn't slow your draw down at all. It just seems like sensible precaution. In nearly 30 years of policing I've only had one serious attempt to grab my gun and I was damn glad that I had sufficient retention to buy my time to get my hands on the gun. Just because there are few recorded attempts at gun grabs on OC'ers doesn't mean it can't or won't happen to you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I've survived several gun snatch attempts over the years. One was such a knock-down  fight that at one point all my weight was being supported by the holster and gun. (Yes, he picked my UP by the gun.  I'm 6'3")  Safariland for the win, it held the gun even after it was broken.

I HATE thigh holsters.  They are made specifically to hit things. Bash them into the car door, bash them into a glass display case, bash them into the head of some 5-year old, snag them in a hurricane fence, the list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've survived several gun snatch attempts over the years. One was such a knock-down  fight that at one point all my weight was being supported by the holster and gun. (Yes, he picked my UP by the gun.  I'm 6'3")  Safariland for the win, it held the gun even after it was broken.

I HATE thigh holsters.  They are made specifically to hit things. Bash them into the car door, bash them into a glass display case, bash them into the head of some 5-year old, snag them in a hurricane fence, the list goes on and on.
View Quote

I've got 2 paddle holsters for 2 different guns. Both are extremely tight to go in my waistband. They have a hook that acts as a barb to make it very hard to remove from waistband. Trying to pull one of these from me, the waistband, belt or holster would break before the paddle would come out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would never wear a thigh holster for every day carry as a patrol officer or any other capacity. Like I said, I only have one now because I was issued the thing and I have used twice now when serving warrants. My EDC is a Raven Concealment Phantom holster worn concealed. I support OC but I won't do it. I did for awhile as a young Detective and I came to hate it. You become the center of attention which is not a good thing in my book.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
How tight does the ALS hold the gun to your body (conceal under a t-shirt)?

Quoted:
My EDC is a Raven Concealment Phantom holster worn concealed.
View Quote

I plan on switching from IWB to carrying OWB in my Raven with my shirt over it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
My EDC is a Raven Concealment Phantom holster worn concealed.

I carried the ALS for awhile before I switched to the Raven. It wasn't bad but the Raven and similar pancake style holsters are tighter to the body. It's going to depend on the size of the gun and whether or not you wear a Shmedium t-shirt or not.

This is the holster I was talking about:

Safariland 6378

It also comes with a belt slide attachment if you don't like the paddle. I never tried it, the paddle is very snug to your belt. For the price it's worth trying out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#40]
No retention required, but no way in hell I would OC w/o some level of retention. I know retention features are not the end all be all in regards to someone attempting to remove your firearm, as situational awareness is key, but it's another easy layer of protection.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I've always carried in some sort of retention holster, just in a day of going about your business it is easy to bend over to reach something and drop your gun if in a cheap Uncle Mike's type holster. And much more comfortable to carry all day with a good holster and belt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top