Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:57:52 PM EDT
A while back I thought I saw a thread regarding knife carry while concealed carrying a handgun.  After looking all the way back in the htf I never found it.  Being a jeans and t-shirt person I'm packing a 25 acp Beretta, but would add a decent blade if it is allowed.  Even better I hope that open carry passes so a mostly concealed 45 would be acceptable.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A while back I thought I saw a thread regarding knife carry while concealed carrying a handgun.  After looking all the way back in the htf I never found it.  Being a jeans and t-shirt person I'm packing a 25 acp Beretta, but would add a decent blade if it is allowed.  Even better I hope that open carry passes so a mostly concealed 45 would be acceptable.

Paladin
View Quote
Under 5.5 in is ok most places in TX.

The law is that you can carry a knife over 5.5 inches if you are also carrying a handgun and have a valid CHL.

You may end up getting arrested before things get figured out though.

It's not a fun process but an educational one.

If you're in Austin I know a good lawyer with experience with this if this binds you up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
A long the same lines, I believe there is a bill working its way through the Legislature to dump all the illegal knife laws.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Single edge 5.5" or less perfectly legal. I carry a ESEE 3 IWB opposite side of my handgun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The law is that you can carry a knife over 5.5 inches if you are also carrying a handgun and have a valid CHL.

If you're in Austin I know a good lawyer with experience with this if this binds you up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paladin

This.  The safe approach is to keep it under 5.5", but strictly speaking it is legal to carry an "illegal knife" with a CHL and a concealed handgun.

ETA:
Quoted:
A long the same lines, I believe there is a bill working its way through the Legislature to dump all the illegal knife laws.

I think that was HB3884, but it's still in committee.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Are switchblades legal without chl now?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are switchblades legal without chl now?
View Quote

Yes, switchblades are now treated like any other knife - legal for anyone to own or carry, but still subject to the restrictions on blade length and double edges.  

When they were prohibited, having a CHL did not make it legal to own or carry a switchblade, just like it is currently not legal to own or carry knuckles, large OC dispensors, tire deflation devices, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just like it is currently not legal to own or carry knuckles, large OC dispensors, tire deflation devices, etc.
View Quote

Tire deflation devices?? What is that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just like it is currently not legal to own or carry knuckles, large OC dispensors, tire deflation devices, etc.

Per 46.01(17)

(17)  "Tire deflation device" means a device, including a caltrop or spike strip, that, when driven over, impedes or stops the movement of a wheeled vehicle by puncturing one or more of the vehicle's tires.  The term does not include a traffic control device that:
(A)  is designed to puncture one or more of a vehicle's tires when driven over in a specific direction; and
(B)  has a clearly visible sign posted in close proximity to the traffic control device that prohibits entry or warns motor vehicle operators of the traffic control device.

It means it's illegal for me to buy stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/ASR-Tactical-Puncturing-Security-Devices/dp/B0038ZTGZ4
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Emerson knife with wave feature. It's a 4" blade single edged folder. Plenty large for self defense use. I also have a Microtech Combat Troodon single edged blade 4" long automatic out the front. I will say it's much more intimating to pop the blade out at someone, ha. However I think the Emerson is more practical overall. But hey why not carry both ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top