Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 12:40:02 AM EDT
Is it allowed? It seems to be allowed under state law but has anyone done it before?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I do everytime I go.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I did and as far as I know it is allowed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do everytime I go.
View Quote

Same here.  I can't remember when the law changed, but it is legal to carry in the parks now (all other applicable laws still apply).

I just carry in a little chest rig when I'm backpacking.  Concealed, yet easy to access, out of the way from your waist belt and gear.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
870 in the truck ok?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have carried concealed in BBNP as well.

Never had an issue, but also its always concealed.  I have a holster I custom  made to look like a small medical kit.   Made out of bright orange nylon with a sewed on patch on the front that I cut off a real medical kit that was basically passed its expiration date.     Its square in shape so that it fits a G29 with a small weapon light just right.

The holster goes through the belt on my internal frame pack.  and with a Velcro closure flap it is right there if you need it.    I have used it in Texas as well as Colorado for the past couple years.   I have even had folks on the trail comment how responsible it is to carry a medical kit so handy.   Thankfully I have never had anybody ask me for a bandaid from  it.

Prior to that I would use an in the waistband holster in Texas but would have sweat induced corrosion issues.  Plus the holster would just get nasty sweating into it day after day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
All national parks are legal, the buildings in the parks are a big no no.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it allowed? It seems to be allowed under state law but has anyone done it before?

Thanks
View Quote

Hard as it is to believe, Obama signed National Park Carry, which basically says carries rules are the same as the state you enter from.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried all through Yellowstone and Glacier National Park, as stated the park buildings are off limits and posted as such.

V
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
870 in the truck ok?
View Quote

Don't know why it wouldn't be, assuming that it isn't violating any other state/federal laws.

One thing though, if you're planning on being away from your truck for a day or two at a time while it's parked in a remote area, make sure all valuables are well hidden or not even in your truck in the first place.

I went on some the more remote hikes and my truck was unattended in the middle of nowhere for a few days at a time (right by the border, too).  Needless to say, it was always a relief to see that my windows weren't smashed out as I was returning.

Snapped this where I parked near a trail head:

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You can carry, but discharging a firearm in the park is still prohibited. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I was also told that firing a weapon was illegal in the BBNP, this was by a Ranger at Maverick Junction near Terlingua last March.  

I wouldn't leave anything of value in my vehicle inside the park or in Lajitas.

Hking
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Is cooking allowed? How can you cook eggs or food?

Mres are not on the menu
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sent you a PM OP
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is cooking allowed? How can you cook eggs or food?

Mres are not on the menu
View Quote

Camping stove or charcoal in one of their grills. They have a burn ban in place so no ground fires.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can carry, but discharging a firearm in the park is still prohibited. Go figure.
View Quote

That's just to keep people from turning it into a shooting range.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top