Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2014 10:30:18 PM EDT
Patient Zero. Just came from Africa and is showing symptoms of Ebola.

Great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Patient Zero. Just came from Africa and is showing symptoms of Ebola.

Great.
View Quote

This was in a movie once...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ten o'clock news just confirmed Ebola.  Some of my friends do service related work in that hospital.  This is not good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ten o'clock news just confirmed Ebola.  Some of my friends do service related work in that hospital.  This is not good.
View Quote
Which news?  Fox 4 is stating they are testing for Ebola, but there had been no confirmation yet.  That was the lead in at 10.

EDIT: Just googled, all the major news outlets are stating they are testing for Ebola.  Ebola has NOT been confirmed positive yet.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which news?  Fox 4 is stating they are testing for Ebola, but there had been no confirmation yet.  That was the lead in at 10.  

EDIT: Just googled, all the major news outlets are stating they are testing for Ebola.  Ebola has NOT been confirmed positive yet.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure which network I was watching but it was plainly stated.  Bubble headed blonde news babe that I have never seen or heard of before may have jumped to a conclusion without all the facts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Luckily Ebola does not transfer through the air.  Hopefully it is an isolated incident
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Luckily Ebola does not transfer through the air.  Hopefully it is an isolated incident
View Quote

Ever been in a Whataburger or CiCi's bathroom?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Why does it keep popping up here?

There was the air marshal they took to Houston, now this.

Why not Florida, NY, CA, NJ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife works at Presby Dallas. I've had to quarantine myself the last few nights when she has come home.

The individual came into the ER  Sunday evening and AFAIK it has  not been confirmed yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My wife works at Presby Dallas. I've had to quarantine myself the last few nights when she has come home.

The individual came into the ER  Sunday evening and AFAIK it has  not been confirmed yet.
View Quote

Thanks for the info...........keep us posted please.
I trust your source much more than the media.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You couldn't pay me to eat at CiCi pizza.  Never been in a whataburger restroom and I pray that day never comes
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Male pt had just traveled from Liberia.  Had not experienced symptoms on his flight.  Fever and stomach pain if I heard right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Test results should be in today; however they have not said anything at the hospital yet.

Apparently the CDC is sending a team to Presby in case the results come back positive. Maybe they know something that hasn't been released yet; maybe they're just being cautious.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
seems fitting as i hear clips of this shit on "the ticket".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Test results should be in today; however they have not said anything at the hospital yet.

Apparently the CDC is sending a team to Presby in case the results come back positive. Maybe they know something that hasn't been released yet; maybe they're just being cautious.

View Quote
Yea the first test.  The missionary doctor from Ft Worth did not test positive on the first test.  It was the follow up test that caught his.  You got 21 days there about to convert positive.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
He has tested positive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Fox reporting CDC is going to report a positive Ebola at Presby.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep, positive case of Ebola per CDC. First one in the United States.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
ARE YOU SHITTING ME??

He's been here since the 20th and started symptoms on the 24th but didn't get checked in until the 28th?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Strain id'ed as Ebola Zaire.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
So what happens next?

Hose them down with liquid nitrogen and air drop them back in W. Africa?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
They need to slap a quarantine around the infected zone. If you go in, you don't get to come out until you've been monitored for a month. Only then should you be allowed back into the USA.

10 days on US soil... Scary. And no idea how many he came in contact with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
They should have closed flights from there months  ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Sigh.  I work for MD Anderson and people in my dept. were somewhat freaking out over this earlier today.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Just think about Zero's apt building or where ever he may live??  Do those people around know whats up.  Have they been collected tested etc.?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
NBC5 just reported that there are no direct flights from Africa to DFW airport. If that's true, then then infected patient passed through another airport.

It bothers me that the CDC declined to state the flight info.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Let's not forget this is a relatively weak virus as far as carrier to victim transmission goes. It doesn't pose as much as a health risk in the US where everyone is educated enough to understand the importance of hygiene and the spread of disease.

Bodily fluid exchange or surface contact with close to immediate contact with your body fluid is required. Wash your hands often, limit exposure to others, and keep your hands out of your mouth.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Let's not forget this is a relatively weak virus as far as carrier to victim transmission goes. It doesn't pose as much as a health risk in the US where everyone is educated enough to understand the importance of hygiene and the spread of disease.

Bodily fluid exchange or surface contact with close to immediate contact with your body fluid is required. Wash your hands often, limit exposure to others, and keep your hands out of your mouth.

Stay safe.

View Quote

My wife is a pediatric surgical nurse. She has been exposed to other stuff like Hepatitus from a bone saw flinging stuff. This really worries me. She has kids come through in a very wide spectrum of hygiene and often gets notified of possible exposures.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It doesn't pose as much as a health risk in the US where everyone is educated enough to understand the importance of hygiene and the spread of disease.
View Quote

You must be new to the US or live under a rock.

I don't think I've ever left a bathroom in the US where some ding dong didn't shit and leave without hand-washing.

I open the doors at work with a paper towel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
There go my travel plans.  Aint no way Im going anywhere near DFW airport.  Its like visiting a 3rd country regardless.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
At least it being in north Texas, we won't be hearing for it for months on end.

We got what, two weeks tops???

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Could get interesting if 2-3 more cases spout up in DFW.  Probably not though, its not like we have a lot of foreigners here or something.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should have closed flights from there months decades ago.
View Quote

fify

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always wondered about mosquitoes and AIDS...now what about EBOLA?

And if they cant spread the diseases....why aren't we studying the hell out of the mosquito?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It bothers me that the CDC declined to state the flight info.
View Quote

They are clearly not prepared to handle an outbreak. No surprise, they were not prepared to handle it in Africa either, and now it is a problem.

It seems the only plan they have is to tell folks if you do not have Ebola in 21 days, you probably did not come into contact with the patient.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Three Dallas Fire Rescue Paramedics are now under quarantine for Ebola, called "Reverse Quarantine" where they are sent into seclusion.

The ambulance used is now hot and has been sent to Dallas Fire Rescue's training facility for quarantine. The ambulance was used for 48 hours after carrying the Ebola patient. The patients carried in the ambulance after Leebola Harvey Oswald, are now under watch too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Three Dallas Fire Rescue Paramedics are now under quarantine for Ebola, called "Reverse Quarantine" where they are sent into seclusion.

The ambulance used is now hot and has been sent to Dallas Fire Rescue's training facility for quarantine. The ambulance was used for 48 hours after carrying the Ebola patient. The patients carried in the ambulance after Leebola Harvey Oswald, are now under watch too.
View Quote
Ambulance should have been disinfected after the patient was transported.  Was it?  Those Dallas FD guys, sucks to be them, prayers sent.  Use common sense some of this stuff should be worried about some not.  That guy should have never been able to leave that hospital the first time.  That is the kinda stuff that scares me.  Who is the idiot that oh you are sick and just came from Liberia, ehhhhh you can go home.  Every pt was come into contact the last month that has stomach ache, fever, diarrhea, etc, I have been asking do you travel have you taken any trips lately.  It blows me freaking away this person wasn't screened properly the first time.  

I think they are in high gear as to finding the exposures right now.  And they will probably get it shut down if they can account for Leebola's whereabouts.  He was more than likely not contagious til he exhibited symptoms.  But this not transmittable through air crap is really kinda bogus.  You get ebola spit droplets in your eye and you are a candidate.  What happens when Leebola sneezes on you?  The Doctor from Ft Worth that got it said 6ft is the minimum safety zone without protective equipment.  I'll take his word over CDC.  

EDIT watching Zach Thompson on fox 4.  They better be isolating ALL the direct exposures of family members right now.  The people around the non symptomatic family, nah they aren't exposures.  But this brings me to my point..the economic impact.  Lets say there are only 20 people who are direct exposures.  That is 20 lost workers of productivity in North Texas.  Imagine another case pops up or two before they get quarantined and all those secondary exposures.  This could be some serious economic impact if this grows.  Right now its minimal to none.  I truly hope they are being extremely aggressive in getting these people isolated during the incubation period.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Mayor Mike Rawlings of Dallas talking on the news.  "It's ok, we got this, hard to catch, DERP, DERP, DERP, uh I used to play football, uh DERP DERP"

Absolutely clueless, how did he get elected?  Dallas is such a struggling city just circling the drain.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Meh. Between public sanitation, much less relative medical ignorance of the general population, and very strict body substance isolation/universal precautions policy in healthcare, I won't be giving it much thought beyond checking up on it every couple weeks.

We're so used to 'contact' meaning 'in the same room exposed to airborne droplets' because of airborne viruses being the only ones to really travel. Contact here means direct, with bodily fluids, so I'm predicting it stops with this one guy. That is until the next traveler sneaks in infected.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Meh. Between public sanitation, much less relative medical ignorance of the general population, and very strict body substance isolation/universal precautions policy in healthcare, I won't be giving it much thought beyond checking up on it every couple weeks.

We're so used to 'contact' meaning 'in the same room exposed to airborne droplets' because of airborne viruses being the only ones to really travel. Contact here means direct, with bodily fluids, so I'm predicting it stops with this one guy. That is until the next traveler sneaks in infected.
View Quote
I think you are highly optimistic.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#45]
So what's the minimum level of protection against this stuff?  Dupont Tyvek full coveralls, gloves, face shield?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They need to slap a quarantine around the infected zone. If you go in, you don't get to come out until you've been monitored for a month. Only then should you be allowed back into the USA.

10 days on US soil... Scary. And no idea how many he came in contact with.
View Quote

The United States is like a barn full of hay, and a person infected with Ebola is like a flaming arrow.  I hope we can stomp out this fire, but we really need to keep additional flaming arrows out of the barn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Now they have a second patient, a relative of the first Ebola patient.

Apparently they went to Northpark while sick and rode DART Trains in North Dallas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Now they have a second patient, a relative of the first Ebola patient.

Apparently they went to Northpark while sick and rode DART Trains in North Dallas.
View Quote
Which if symptomless, should amount to nothing.  If they snotted, spat, or shit on anything others touch, well..... then cue the Ron Paul .gif.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Gonna stay south of I30 for a few weeks.

I think I've got about 40 gallons of concentrated peroxide sanitizers that I can dilute and spray by mist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top