BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 7:34:43 PM EDT
Anything Changed in last 5 years? I have to go Monday

Making note to self to not carry knife.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Just remember I'm innocent until I'm proven guilty.  It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring something wifi. Maybe something to eat too, last time our group was held until about 3pm with no lunch break.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just remember I'm innocent until I'm proven guilty.  It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

View Quote

Will need pics to determine guilt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bring something wifi. Maybe something to eat too, last time our group was held until about 3pm with no lunch break.
View Quote

Thanks.

Ipad
Protein bars.
Thermos
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
5 years ago there were two courthouses. Remember the new one is the mosque at 75@Bloomdale.

And the wifi sucks. Arfcom is filtered so bookmark JRS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
5 years ago there were two courthouses. Remember the new one is the mosque at 75@Bloomdale.

And the wifi sucks. Arfcom is filtered so bookmark JRS.
View Quote

Thank you, sir.
I do remember being in some annex building or some shit back then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check on the rules about that first...  Last time I was called in Travis County,,,  No cell phones allowed, no laptops, tablets, etc.  Even books and newspapers verbotten...  Also no  food or beverages permitted in the courtroom.

And yeah, they locked us all up and wouldn't let anyone go until the entire jury had been seated...  Only to have the defendant's attorney and the prosecutor come to a last minute plea bargain deal...  meaning the whole exercise was pointless...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check on the rules about that first...  Last time I was called in Travis County,,,  No cell phones allowed, no laptops, tablets, etc.  Even books and newspapers verbotten...  Also no  food or beverages permitted in the courtroom.

And yeah, they locked us all up and wouldn't let anyone go until the entire jury had been seated...  Only to have the defendant's attorney and the prosecutor come to a last minute plea bargain deal...  meaning the whole exercise was pointless...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll be sitting in a central jury room doing nothing. If he's selected then yes, there will be some rules regarding phones, etc in the actual courtroom. It kind of makes sense that you want a juror to at least appear to be awake rather than playing Candy Crush on their iphone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He'll be sitting in a central jury room doing nothing. If he's selected then yes, there will be some rules regarding phones, etc in the actual courtroom. It kind of makes sense that you want a juror to at least appear to be awake rather than playing Candy Crush on their iphone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I remember last time.
Sitting in a room waiting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do it differently in that county then...  in Travis County, at least a couple years ago last time I was called they made all the people called for the jury pool sit in the court room throughout pretty much the whole jury selection process.  There were a couple times when they made us leave the room while the attorneys and the judge had conversations they didn't want the potential jurors to hear.  It sounds like the way Colin County does it sucks a lot less for the jury pool...

To add insult to injury in Travis County there is no parking provided for jurors...  you have to park blocks away in pay garages and the cheapest ones are $11.  You don't get reimbursed.  If you aren't selected for the jury they pay $6.  That obviously doesn't even cover parking...  and then they have the audacity to ask everyone to donate their $6 to some legal fund.  F that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Which shirt?
Infidel or ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which shirt?
Infidel or ARFCOM?
View Quote

I know you're joking but...There should be a dress code on the notification. The judges are pretty serious about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know you're joking but...There should be a dress code on the notification. The judges are pretty serious about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shirt?
Infidel or ARFCOM?

In your defense,
This is ARFCOM, you couldn't safely assume I wouldn't show up like the cover of Tactical Attire Quarterly.
I'm sure it's been done.
I plan green slacks, black low quarters, black belt and blue dress shirt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#14]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which shirt?
Infidel or ARFCOM?
View Quote

Get a judge dredd shirt
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shirt?
Infidel or ARFCOM?

I know they put the dress code on the summons in Travis county.  And yes, they are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#17]
One neck beard  100 % legit
One dude with semi neck beard

Both young duffussessess
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Jury duty sucks, but I do thank you for doing your civic duty
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
It's fun to see the excuses people try to use in order to not be selected for the jury once you're in the courtroom.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They let me go around 1230. DUI case.
They picked 6 (both neckbeards were chosen!!!!)

I am glad I didn't make it on because I'm off tomorrow.

I served on a rape case in college so I sort of know the deal.
It taught me one thing.
If I'm arrested, I'm asking for a bench trial if the facts are at all in my favor.
There are some real dummies on juries.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It taught me one thing.
If I'm arrested, I'm asking for a bench trial if the facts are at all in my favor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It taught me one thing.

They say that juries are made up of people who are too stupid to get out of it...

I personally think that may be unfair...

I think some might be just people who are so lazy they'll do anything to get out of a day or two of work...

Just kidding...  Thanks to all the people who do it for the right reason.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only an idiot would go to jury trial in Collin County.  Even if the facts aren't in your favor, a judge is far more likely to be lenient than a jury.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Only an idiot would go to jury trial in Collin County.  Even if the facts aren't in your favor, a judge is far more likely to be lenient than a jury.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will remember that
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got my jury summons from Dallas County today.  As a civil servant and widowed with no children....I'll probably get a low number and picked for the jury.

I hope this one is interesting.

mm
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I hated it in Tarrant Co.
I got called all the time.

No way it is random.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No way it is random.
View Quote

I think so many no-accounts just blow it off that if you actually respond to the summons they keep calling you over and over again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think so many no-accounts just blow it off that if you actually respond to the summons they keep calling you over and over again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way it is random.

I'm in the same camp.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got my jury summons from Dallas County today.  As a civil servant and widowed with no children....I'll probably get a low number and picked for the jury.

I hope this one is interesting.

mm
View Quote

"Oh lookee!!!. The great jerk off case of 1953"
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Annnnnd I'll be serving Collin Co next Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Annnnnd I'll be serving Collin Co next Thursday.
View Quote

Get there a little early so you beat the line for security check.
Eat before you get there.
Wifi sucks, as stated.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife will be there Monday.  I laughed at her when I saw summons.  Now I probably will get called next month.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't quite figured Grayson county out yet. Seems like I get called about every three years, then another one 18 months later then repeat the three year cycle.  I have been picked and served as jury foreman the last two times I was called.  Sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top