Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 3:40:59 AM EDT
If your job involves driving on the roads in the a.m., please be careful guys.

I have to drive out towards Hamilton Pool today. I'm probably not going until later in the morning. I don't do ice.

1/28/14: holy crap! 80 wrecks in Austin since 5 this morning!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
even if you had studded tires, it's the other idiot (usually w/4WD) that thinks he can drive,,,,
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not going anywhere yet.  My car door has a sheet of 1/4'' ice sealing it shut.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
even if you had studded tires, it's the other idiot (usually w/4WD) that thinks he can drive,,,,
View Quote

Some dude hauling a trailer "flew" by me at a whopping 35 miles an hour on my way into work this morning. My boss made fun of me when I asked if we were still having our 8 am operations meeting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Was flying into San Antonio last night...got about halfway and said to hell with this and went to Dallas. Looks nasty down there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Took an hour to make a normally 10 min drive. Saw many people spin out behind me, went across a few bridges sideways myself, went off the road at least once. Roads suck out there. If you are like me and HAVE to make it in to work, leave early and go slow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Uh, yeah, I'm working from home today.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Was nice traffic in Houston this morning.

Glad they shut down the city for 40* and a few sprinkles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was nice traffic in Houston this morning.

Glad they shut down the city for 40* and a few sprinkles.
View Quote

I was supposed to fly to Houston at lunch today and pickup up a connecting flight to Panama City, Florida.

Southwest canceled both flights last night. Dallas is cold but perfectly clear. What's wrong in Houston?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]
What's wrong in Houston?

Nothing as far as I can tell. I turned my windshield wipers on and grabbed a jacket just in case, but that is about it. Much ado about nothing so far. It is Ice Storm Rita as far as I can tell (Rita was supposed to be Houston's Katrina and ended up doing absolutely nothing).
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Its sleeting with a little snow mixed in with it in The Woodlands now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's wrong in Houston?

Nothing as far as I can tell. I turned my windshield wipers on and grabbed a jacket just in case, but that is about it. Much ado about nothing so far. It is Ice Storm Rita as far as I can tell (Rita was supposed to be Houston's Katrina and ended up doing absolutely nothing).
View Quote

Rita was bad, depending on where you lived.
12 billion damage, 113 deaths in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong in Houston?

True, but in regards to Houston, it was nothing. After Katrina, Rita was hyped up to send Houston back to the bottom of the ocean. The entire city evacuated, only to return to clear blue skies and a couple leaves fluttering around.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True, but in regards to Houston, it was nothing. After Katrina, Rita was hyped up to send Houston back to the bottom of the ocean. The entire city evacuated, only to return to clear blue skies and a couple leaves fluttering around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong in Houston?

You are right, I remember hearing about the traffic getting out of there. Could have been bad (for Houston) if it came in a little further west.
Our schools were out today, and my job let me off. Weather is cold, had a little ice, but not near as bad as forecasted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Rita was the practice evac for Ike.

Many lessons were learned (walling off the freeways and not letting people exit = vehicles running out of fuel and blocking the highways)...

Stock Up - (keep your tank full), be ready for a long wait to get out of town and start early are good Hurricane evacuation lessons taught.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Roads cleared p about noon. I ran one quick errand and then was back in the house for the rest of the afternoon. Fine by me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top