Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2014 7:32:15 AM EDT
Hey all,  I'm going to leave CT for a few days in April to head down to AUSTIN with my brother for the MOTO GP race on the 13th at the Circuit of the Americas.  

I'll be in town between the 10th and 14th, so what else can you guys recommend for me to do while down there?
Also, where should I stay?  I'll probably be buying my Flight/Hotel/Car Rental this weekend.

Also, we're seriously considering moving down there, so doing/seeing things to further influence that are welcome.  This'll be my first time further west than NY  Can't wait!

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of things do you like to do?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay near downtown and head out to 6th Street like everybody else.  I'll be there, had a blast last year for MotoGP weekend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
where in CT? I could use some pizza. Use to live in east haven

ETA: go to salk lick
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother and I are in our mid-20's if that helps steer the ideas.
Into cars, bikes, guns, sports, food, women, etc.  Where can i see a good rodeo? haha....
But I'd also like to see some historical stuff, see any sights in the area, and just have a good, chill time.

Also, how's the IT and Medical scene down in TX?  Those are the fields we're in currently up here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
where in CT? I could use some pizza. Use to live in east haven

ETA: go to salk lick
View Quote

I work in New Haven.  Live down in FFLD county.  
Had some Pepe's the other week
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Into cars, bikes, guns, sports, food, women, etc.  Where can i see a good rodeo? haha....
But I'd also like to see some historical stuff, see any sights in the area, and just have a good, chill time.

Also, how's the IT and Medical scene down in TX?  Those are the fields we're in currently up here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an indoor kart track on the north side.  There are plenty of fun and scenic roads in the area if you feel like taking the rental out for a drive.  Plenty of gun stores and at least two indoor ranges plus several outdoor ranges.  For historical stuff the capitol complex is always interesting to explore.

As far as I know the IT and medical scene is pretty good in all of the major TX cities.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a good time! Always wanted to do some karting.

Bump for my ideas!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hey all,  I'm going to leave CT for a few days in April to head down to AUSTIN with my brother for the MOTO GP race on the 13th at the Circuit of the Americas.  
I'll be in town between the 10th and 14th, so what else can you guys recommend for me to do while down there?

Also, where should I stay?  I'll probably be buying my Flight/Hotel/Car Rental this weekend.
Also, we're seriously considering moving down there, so doing/seeing things to further influence that are welcome.  This'll be my first time further west than NY  Can't wait!
View Quote

Wow, how deprived you are! ( I'm from CT NY )  I moved out of that Crap-hole back in 2001 down here Hr south of Austin.
I will be at motoGP too.  Since the race came here/COTA, me/wife go to the F1 and MotoGP races every year.  
To DO I have no idea. I dont go to Austin unless I am going to GT Distributors  ( cop-shop-gun-store ) or the COTA racetrack.
If you are looking to move here, do not buy a house in Travis County, or in Austin Proper.  Taxes are crazy.  Look in BUDA, or KYLE.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The STI Multigun Championship is at Best of the West in Liberty Hill that weekend.  You could go check out some of the action.

Also, the MS150 is that weekend, so Austin is going to be a traffic nightmare on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a bar, any bar, go to 6th.  Starting at the freeway and going west the bars start cheap and mostly college crowd and move towards nicer bars.

Enjoy the race.  I don't know if I'll be able to make it this year
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I will be going all 3 days and will stay as far as I can from 6th street.  Nothing but idiotic undergrads.  East 6th is better just not too east
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I will be going all 3 days and will stay as far as I can from 6th street.  Nothing but idiotic undergrads.  East 6th is better just not too east
View Quote

We do the same.  Use SH130 from SATX as nobody else does.  Smooth sailing.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 85mph almost the entire way!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody around here can afford to use SH130, it's just too damned expensive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
It's worth the expense.  Dont have to wait in traffic.

I have TXTAGS so its not as pricey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's worth the expense.  Dont have to wait in traffic.

I have TXTAGS so its not as pricey.
View Quote

This! I was down for MotoGP last year and the traffic off of Hwy was horrible!

As far as the business fields Austin is a huge IT hub with companies like Dell and so forth based there. You should be able to land something good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top