Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 8:45:38 AM EDT
Have a friend wanting to get his CHL;  is it still set up that if you qualify with an auto you can carry auto or revolver but if you go through with a revolver your CHL is restricted to revolver only?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a friend wanting to get his CHL;  is it still set up that if you qualify with an auto you can carry auto or revolver but if you go through with a revolver your CHL is restricted to revolver only?
View Quote

No, that distinction was removed.  Qualify with any handgun .32 or larger and carry either.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, that distinction was removed.  Qualify with any handgun .32 or larger and carry either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that part of the September changes?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
So the new CHLs don't have SA or NSA on them at all?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it went into effect prior to September.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So the new CHLs don't have SA or NSA on them at all?
View Quote

The new CHL 100s have no space to indicate revolver or semi auto, so DPS has no way of knowing what you qualified with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My CHL issued less than a month ago has SA in the corner.
My wife's new CHL which arrived in the mail today has the SA in the corner.

Believe what you want.
Both of us took the class in October.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My renewal came in not too long ago and it has:

Category:SA

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
So it looks like the Software that generates the license has not been updated.

The law changed though and that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Believe what you want.
View Quote

The CHL 100 does not indicate whether you shot with a revolver or semi auto.  Believe what you want.  ;)

Perhaps they all read SA now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The CHL 100 does not indicate whether you shot with a revolver or semi auto.  Believe what you want.  ;)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe what you want.

My understanding is that they will all simply be marked SA for the time being. If that is the permanent solution or simply a stop-gap until that datum can actually be removed from the license, I have no idea.

What is important is that what you qualify with no longer impacts what you can carry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The term qualify needs to be used very loosely when applied to a Texas CHL.

Randomly hit paper is a better description.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wha'ts really scary is that a couple of the folks in my class (way back when) had trouble with range qualification

One guy in my last renewal class (also way back when) had to borrow one of the instructors pistols because his dirty POS kept having malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wha'ts really scary is that a couple of the folks in my class (way back when) had trouble with range qualification

One guy in my last renewal class (also way back when) had to borrow one of the instructors pistols because his dirty POS kept having malfunctions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is scary...having gone through the process several months ago, I was surprised just how poorly some people were shooting.  The very nice, older man in the lane next to me seemed to have a Parkinson's tremor going on.  He was struggling to keep in on paper at 15 feet, and I think he failed by one shot - so they let him "re-shoot" his one shot a 9 feet.  I guess they'll do almost anything to get a paying customer to pass.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Believe what you want.
View Quote

The license itself will read "Category: SA" regardless of what you qualified with. I qualified with my favorite revolver after the rule change and mine reads SA.

txinvestigator is correct though, the CHL 100 form does NOT include a query for qualifying handgun type because after the change is does not matter.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CHL-100.pdf
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It really is scary...having gone through the process several months ago, I was surprised just how poorly some people were shooting.  The very nice, older man in the lane next to me seemed to have a Parkinson's tremor going on.  He was struggling to keep in on paper at 15 feet, and I think he failed by one shot - so they let him "re-shoot" his one shot a 9 feet.  I guess they'll do almost anything to get a paying customer to pass.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't shoot at 15 feet.  Maybe 15 yards?  

And it is not lawful to allow a one shot make up for a fail.  He must reshoot the test in its entirety.   I have failed folks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The qualification has more to do with safety than making hits. At least if the instrctor is worth a shit. People are more likely to accidentally shoot their dicks off than actually fail the qualification. They have to be watched like a hawk and constantly reminded of the basic rules of safety.

As far as hits on target... A blind monkey should be able to qualify.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Since the qualification process is a joke, I'd wish they'd allow 22s since I'm cheap.  They don't pay the instructors enough to have to deal with some of these folks.  Is it acceptable practice for instructors to load/rack the slide for shooters?  I ask becasue I know a person that was too weak to manipulate a GLOCK so they received "assistance" in order to qualify for SA but then was given a revolver to terrorize folks with.  Sadly, this person was never taught how to lower the hammer without firing a round.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since the qualification process is a joke, I'd wish they'd allow 22s since I'm cheap.  They don't pay the instructors enough to have to deal with some of these folks.  Is it acceptable practice for instructors to load/rack the slide for shooters?  I ask becasue I know a person that was too weak to manipulate a GLOCK so they received "assistance" in order to qualify for SA but then was given a revolver to terrorize folks with.  Sadly, this person was never taught how to lower the hammer without firing a round.
View Quote

There is no requirement for an applicant to be able to load magazines or work the slide.  

How did the applicant you describe terrorize people?  On what gun would the person did to lower the hammer?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is no requirement for an applicant to be able to load magazines or work the slide.  

How did the applicant you describe terrorize people?  On what gun would the person did to lower the hammer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Giving a 5 year old a loaded gun on a playground was on par to this situation but it involved an irresponsible adult being given a loaded revolver and a license to carry.  The enabler realized his mistake when he came home to find a cocked gun pointed at him.  Can't fix stupid.

There are many foolish people (with the right intentions) willing to provide another person a weapon and giving them the false confidence to carry.  I hope most instructors would never allow themselves to be a party to this idiocy.  I feel about the same way giving an irresponsible person one of these less (than) lethal weapons without explaining use/consequences.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Giving a 5 year old a loaded gun on a playground was on par to this situation but it involved an irresponsible adult being given a loaded revolver and a license to carry.  The enabler realized his mistake when he came home to find a cocked gun pointed at him.  Can't fix stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

what?  

There are many foolish people (with the right intentions) willing to provide another person a weapon and giving them the false confidence to carry.  I hope most instructors would never allow themselves to be a party to this idiocy.  I feel about the same way giving an irresponsible person one of these less (than) lethal weapons without explaining use/consequences.

What do you mean "provide another person a weapon"?  

I am afraid I have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 what?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what?  

Guy buys his weak daughter a revolver, CHL instructor loans them a GLOCK to qualify with (while helping load/manipulate slide) then lets her have carry gun she is unqualified and unable to use.  Hilarity ensues and he realizes his mistake.

There are many guys that try to talk non-shooters into getting CHLs which is a huge disservice.  I'm convinced the majority of people in the CHL classes I've attended tend to think having a gun to pull/point/scare is more important than being proficient.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
^Hmmm.  Perhaps having to get a license to legally carry a pistol is just silly to begin with?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top