Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2013 5:54:49 PM EDT
And what's a general ball-park damage for an attorney crafted/customized document?  Would like to make it so the immediate family can inherit and so my brother and father can also legally utilize cans in the trust etc.

Thanks,
-Jim
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
NFA Trust - Who are the respected local guys?
And what's a general ball-park damage for an attorney crafted/customized document? Would like to make it so the immediate family can inherit and so my brother and father can also legally utilize cans in the trust etc.

Thanks,
-Jim
View Quote

Chris Bass in Dallas
Sean Cody in Houston
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Houston but used Christopher Bass in Dallas. Everything was done via correspondence. I paid about $300. When you inquire with different people, also check to see how much charge (or lack thereof) to make amendments.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips.  What kinds of events/needs might necessitate an amendment?  

Someone mentioned e-filing in another thread.  Is that a dealer thing or something I need to do?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips.  What kinds of events/needs might necessitate an amendment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Adding more stuff to the trust later on.

Someone mentioned e-filing in another thread.  Is that a dealer thing or something I need to do?

I haven't done a trust for a couple of years, now, so I don't know anything about this e-filing.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The E-filing is for submitting your applications/forms to the ATF either after you have your trust completed or you get your forms signed by the CLEO if you are going the individual route.  Under the Armory tab here on the site, there are a couple forums dealing with NFA stuff which will have lots of info to get you started.  I've been trying to learn myself as I'm going to be submitting a Form 1 for an SBR here in the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Chris Bass.

I'm out of Austin and he is in the DFW area.  Everything was done over phone and completed quickly.  I'd recommend him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Sean Cody in Houston.  He is a long time membr here.  very reasonable...quick turn around.  

Link
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I used James Willi, he is here in Austin area.  

http://www.jameswilli.com/

Nice guy, trust looks great, and he even did my form 1's for me without asking for extra.  

Has several NFA items so he puts his money where his mouth is.

I have a friend that used Sean Cody too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in Houston but used Christopher Bass in Dallas. Everything was done via correspondence. I paid about $300. When you inquire with different people, also check to see how much charge (or lack thereof) to make amendments.
View Quote

Same here, very happy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Does one of the NFA advertisers here give a discount to Team Members?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking over Jim Willi's website and the part where he discusses not having a schedule A in his trust is interesting.  This intrigues me as I like the idea of not passing around an inventory if I don't have to.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Cody man here, one of our own and a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was looking over Jim Willi's website and the part where he discusses not having a schedule A in his trust is interesting.  This intrigues me as I like the idea of not passing around an inventory if I don't have to.  Thoughts?

View Quote

I don't know about that. Schedule A or no Schedule A, what's the point of having the Trust, if you're not listing the items that are supposed to be in there? Makes no logical, or legal, sense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I get what you're saying, but it seems he has a "separate form" form for said inventory.  Not sure what entails but perhaps the trust itself doesn't have to contain the inventory, but only refer to a document/location that does?  All speculation on my part.  

http://www.myguntrust.com/faqs

Does Your NFA Gun Trust Include a Schedule A?

No, and for very good reasons.  Some attorneys who prepare NFA gun trusts include schedules as part of their NFA gun trust, such as a Schedule A to identify all of the trust property.  Such a practice has two primary disadvantages for their unfortunate clients.  First, each time the client transfers property in or out of the NFA gun trust, the schedule must be amended.  The better practice is transfer property in or out of the NFA gun trust using a separate form, which is not part of the NFA gun trust.  Second, the ATF needs a complete copy of the NFA gun trust each time you mail in a new application.  Besides NFA firearms, other personal property such as non-NFA firearms (Title I weapons) and other collectibles  may be assigned to the NFA gun trust.  If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer unnecessarily provides an organized, detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the NFA gun trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the ATF.  Why would this be a good idea?  Finally, more and more frequently, Class III dealers mail the package of documents that form a complete application to the ATF on behalf of their customers.  To do so, each time the customer buys a new NFA firearm, the Class III dealer needs a complete copy of the customer’s NFA gun trust.  If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer turns over, or broadcasts, a detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the Class III dealer, which, frankly, the Class III dealer has no reason to know about.  Also, once you turn over your NFA gun trust to the Class III dealer, you do not know whether additional copies will be made or stored online, who among the Class III dealers present or future employees have or will have access to the information, or to whom this information is or will be disclosed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe the folks who have used Mr. Willi can explain. Or, better yet, Mr. Willi, if he's a member here can explain.
Whatever it is, the ATF still needs to know whatever it is that you have in your Trust, isn't it? Meaning, whatever NFA item that you are applying for, isn't it?
About the point of having non-NFA items in your NFA trust, that's something I would not do. So that's a moot point.
NFA stuff should be separated from other stuff, as far as I'm concerned. Compartmentalization is better.  When you dump everything together, it gets disorganized and confused.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#16]
This topic is interesting,
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's an ongoing discussion in the General Class 3 forum here about whether or not to include items in the schedule A.

Is it necessary for SBR or suppressor to . . .
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I assign personal property, including firearms, to my trusts using an assignment form, which is not considered part of the trust.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I can do them for anyone in Texas.   We can do it all by phone/email/mail.   I charge AR15 members a flat fee of $300.  Please feel free to call or email me.

Chris Bass
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I used Jim Willi.  I was shopping for a trust that used assignment sheets and not schedules.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2011/06/schedule-a-or-assignment-sheet.html
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for Sean.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Another thing you can do in Texas is just use an Inventory.  Basically just a list of items owned by the trust.  If you use this method, you also don't have to include the Inventory with the trust when you send to the ATF.  

Personally I think that is the easiest way and offers the most privacy.

Chris Bass
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Bigcbass is who I used and have been extremely happy with him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys.

You never send an updated schedule A.   It's none of the Atf's business what is in the trust.

You use an inventory to track property owned by the trust.

Give me a call.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I used Chris Bass, super fast & great guy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#26]
The link to the Silencer Shop's list of recommended Texas NFA gun trust attorneys is located at:

http://www.silencershop.com/gun-trust-lawyers-texas-updated
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Basically it is all three of us!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top