Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 8:32:59 AM EDT
Heya

Got a job in Austin but will be living in Cedar Park.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown on this area? I checked various crime stats online etc and it seems most of the action is way to the West of where I will be living.

Also anything else I should know about the area?

After 25+ years living behind enemy lines here in Newtown, CT I am SO happy to be leaving this over taxed, over liberal anti-gun state. Just one more hard working person abandoning this shithole to the FSA, Dems, and sanctuary cities.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Living in town for a couple years.  It's a nice town, lots of expansion going on (designed neighborhoods, new Costco, Wally World should be done by Thanksgiving).  Crime is very low, mostly domestic and drugs.  Good dog park, police are active and visible, but DO enforce traffic laws quite well, but are very fair and professional..  Hell, they saw me walking to pick up a car at the shop and gave me a ride there :) .  
The businesses are expanding quite fast, with ongoing plans for an extensive water attraction park to come in at some point in time.  If you are planning on purchasing in the planned neighborhoods, watch the builders as they are popping up houses in less than two weeks. Parks and schools are excellent.  Traffic isn't too bad now, but with all the expansion, it will be getting worse.  

ETA- If you want a class 3, I recommend going along the trust route as the sheriff is still a little hesitant about silencers (old story).
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
TY - schools don't concern us as all our children are out of the nest. One lives in Round Rock with the grand daughters which will be nice.

Good to know on police and yeah I have extensive Class 3 - one thing I still need to get is a 7.62 suppressor though. Too bad on sheriff. :/

Once I get settled I will send you a hello Pondfly and maybe we can get together and say hello.

I do need to get my TX CCW pretty quick too - CT does not do reciprocity and I missed the last Utah class due to work.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TY - schools don't concern us as all our children are out of the nest. One lives in Round Rock with the grand daughters which will be nice.

Good to know on police and yeah I have extensive Class 3 - one thing I still need to get is a 7.62 suppressor though. Too bad on sheriff. :/

Once I get settled I will send you a hello Pondfly and maybe we can get together and say hello.

I do need to get my TX CCW pretty quick too - CT does not do reciprocity and I missed the last Utah class due to work.
View Quote

Site sponsor Silencer Shop is just a few miles south of Cedar Park.

Welcome to the area.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I have lived in Cedar Park for about 16 years now and it's a really great city. We live in Carriage Hills subdivision raised two kids here - schools have come a long ways....agree with everything mentioned already, one other thing - (I actually just learned this) If you have a dog make sure you register it with the city as I guess they are starting to enforce that now. Good Luck! Look me up when you get here....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Silencer shop is small but awesome!  Started my first can purchase with them!  Great people and very helpful!  
Quoted:

Welcome to the area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the area.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to chime in agreement about Silencer Shop, I got a pair from them.  Unfortunately we won't be able to meet up as the wife unit and I are moving back to the Peoples Republik of Illinois Monday where I have a house and family.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I've lived in CP since '93. Phenomenal amount of growth in the last 20yrs. I read not long ago CP is the 4th fastest growing city in America.

Everything everyone else has stated is pretty much right.

The Gun Shop in CP is also a Class III dealer.  I've bought from them in the past.

Welcome to the area.  And welcome to Texas!

Eta:  Best of the West (great shooting range) is north of CP in Liberty Hill on 29 just passed the new high school. Its a 15 minute drive from CP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've lived in CP since '93. Phenomenal amount of growth in the last 20yrs. I read not long ago CP is the 4th fastest growing city in America.

Everything everyone else has stated is pretty much right.

The Gun Shop Store in CP is also a Class III dealer.  I've bought from them in the past.

Welcome to the area.  And welcome to Texas!

Eta:  Best of the West (great shooting range) is north of CP in Liberty Hill on 29 just passed the new high school. Its a 15 minute drive from CP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Oops!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cedar Park is also the 5th best city in the U.S to live in. After Plano, Georgetown and Round Rock.

And you're getting an IN N OUT burger!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
South Austinite here, but If you like beer, Dig Pub and Hamrick's are the go-to places in Cedar Park.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome!  It's a great safe area and lots of gun stuff nearby.  Make sure you check out Best of the West.  About 20-30 min NW and is a great shooting range.  

These guys are great for your CHL.  CAPS
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Lived there from 1972 until 1991.  Its too crowded, now live north of Leander.  I can't do cities.  If I had to pick one I would go with Cedar Park.  I get lost there now, too many roads headed across fields where we used to hunt rabbits.  Leander city government seems to progressive so I would avoid them but in their greed they are trying to get me anyhow.  After Cedar Park I would probably go Georgetown.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Leander here.  I've lived in the area just about my whole life...first Anderson Mill, then Cedar Park, now Leander.  Lots of growth out here, and plenty of stuff around to make life convenient.   I think housing is a bit cheaper in Leander than Cedar Park, but you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Round Rock here after moving from Lake Travis. Lots of good recs by previous posters.

There are some really good food places in and around the area as well.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Cedar Park is nice.  Echo the recommendation for Hamrick's and Dig Pub if you like good beer.  If you don't like good beer, they can teach you.  

I periodically see a BFL on another vehicle when dropping off my daughter at Faubion, so I know there are several of us here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top