Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 9:54:54 AM EDT
I work for DTE Electrical at their only nuke in SE Michigan.  DTE Energy Biomass has a job opening in the landfill there.  Curious about the area.  Not so sure it's the move for me.

Maybe somebody down there can get this job.

Link
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I've driven through Denton many, many times over the past 7 years.  I'm sure there are nicer parts of it, but I haven't seen them.  Just outside the city limits would be where I'd pick if I were moving there, maybe you'd be able to pick up some land with a small home on it.

Plus side, very near two major highways, easy to get to DFW airport, Dallas, Ft Worth, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The Texas Motor Speedway is between Denton and Ft. Worth.  I only make it up to Denton once a year or so for an event at the Speedway, but anymore it seems like Denton really isn't that different from most of the other metroplex suburbs...  Years and years ago it seemed a little more small town, but at least the parts along I35 it is hard to tell which burb you are in.

Anyway...  given what I've seen about the politics and crime up in MI...  I suppose maybe the more rural areas aren't that bad but I can't imagine going through a winter up there, that would be the deal breaker for me.  I hate snow and cold weather.  For me even the DFW area still gets too much resembling winter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Hipster's Paradise
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I currently work and attend college in Denton. It is a college town with a high population of students. There is the University of North Texas (UNT) here along Texas Womens University (TWU). There are some good places to live close by north of the City. Several people I work with live North of town around Sanger and seem to enjoy the area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
As others posted, Denton is now a pretty large city/county with a large 4 year University.    Asking what it is like it a bit difficult since the city of Denton covers 87 square miles and the County of Denton covers 958 square miles....   You get the idea.   You may be better off listing what you would want out of a new location to see if anyone can say if an specific area would fill your needs...   FWIW, If your into lakes, you have both Lewisville Lake and Ray Roberts Lake nearby.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much the same as above.  Denton proper is a college town, but plenty of nice areas around it.  I live in Lewisville in the southern part of Denton County.

What are you looking for in terms of housing, acreage, price?

Can't help but mention that Comanche Peak is not that far either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty much the same as above.  Denton proper is a college town, but plenty of nice areas around it.  I live in Lewisville in the southern part of Denton County.

What are you looking for in terms of housing, acreage, price?

Can't help but mention that Comanche Peak is not that far either.
View Quote

Actually, I'm looking to get out of nuke.  I honestly didn't know how wide spread DTE Energy is.  They always talk about it, but I never looked until recently.  I think subs of the company are in something like 15 states.  Maybe more.

Just sticking my toes in the water.  Nothing serious yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't live in the area but have family who does, I have some cousins who live in Sanger and have commuted to Ft Worth for 20+ years and love it. I have another cousin who lives in Pilot Point, which is about 30 minutes north of Denton, and is a fireman in Denton. there are lots of places around there to enjoy rural living, or small town living or city living. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but Denton is beginning to be absorbed into the Dallas Metroplex from the south but west and north are still fairly open country and you can get whatever land you want/can afford and be as close or far away from people as you choose/can afford. if you go south of Denton you can get as urban as you want or care to drive to. The nice thing about Denton is that is far enough away that it is not really urban but close enough to the Dallas metroplex that you can always drive in for whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If your looking to get out in the country, but still live near shopping,  a reasonable distance from a major airport, and be within an hour of anything you could dream of, Denton is the place.  Lots of folks from the metroplex would relocate there in a heartbeat, if there were jobs.  If you've got one ready made, jump on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't live in the area but have family who does, I have some cousins who live in Sanger and have commuted to Ft Worth for 20+ years and love it. I have another cousin who lives in Pilot Point, which is about 30 minutes north of Denton, and is a fireman in Denton. there are lots of places around there to enjoy rural living, or small town living or city living. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but Denton is beginning to be absorbed into the Dallas Metroplex from the south but west and north are still fairly open country and you can get whatever land you want/can afford and be as close or far away from people as you choose/can afford. if you go south of Denton you can get as urban as you want or care to drive to. The nice thing about Denton is that is far enough away that it is not really urban but close enough to the Dallas metroplex that you can always drive in for whatever you want.
View Quote

That's pretty much spot on. If you go North of Denton, there's not a lot until OKC, you head South and you can be in either Dallas or Fort Worth within 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic. I've lived here the last 6 years and it's not a bad place to be. There are some shitty parts of town and with I-35 running through the middle of the city, vagrants and other shady character seem to flow through. I live right next to the highway though, so I have to deal with their bullshit scams and stories at the gas station fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've lived in Denton County all my life, particularly Sanger where I still live. I lived in Denton for 4 years while going to UNT and the police academy. It's not a bad place with alot of good history but UNT has turned Denton into a liberal Mecca for hipsters and hippies. I would look at some of the smaller cities around Denton, like Sanger, Krum, Ponder or Justin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
There are some really nice areas around Denton.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Denton. I live in SE Denton Co but feel like I'm about 100 miles from Denton.  I'd prefer to be either in/around the city of Denton or farther north where I used to live between Aubrey & Sanger. That was country, but it was close to Denton, Aubrey, Pilot Point, and Sanger. A lot of that area has been growing since I lived up there. There's actually more than a couple of places to eat in Aubrey now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty good city. Like others have stated, hipsters and hippies have taken over. Denton County has plenty of good cities to live in though. Flower Mound, Corinth, Sanger, Argyle are all good places to call home.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
OK is much nicer and not that far of a drive for day visits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top