Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 3:24:08 AM EDT
I'm heading from DFW west to the Davis Mountains. I'm going to spend a few days in the Davis Mountains State Park and the surrounding area before heading to Boerne for Thanksgiving. It was a last minute idea and we really don't have any plans. Is there anything interesting I should make sure to put on my schedule? I haven't been in this neck of the woods before.

Thanks,
T.J.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a giant meteor crater just outside Odessa if that kind of stuff interests you.
That area is gorgeous this time of year. Well all year in my opinion, I just like a desert winter. Make sure to lay down at night and look up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessa_Meteor_Crater
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
After you leave the Davis Mountains I assume you will take I10 to Bourne. Along I10 is the Caverns of Sonora. It is a fine commercial cave.

http://www.cavernsofsonora.com/
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There's a giant meteor crater just outside Odessa if that kind of stuff interests you.
That area is gorgeous this time of year. Well all year in my opinion, I just like a desert winter. Make sure to lay down at night and look up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessa_Meteor_Crater

I was in Odessa once. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the Observatory (McDonals?) outside of Ft Davis––which is also kind of cool too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Be prepared for the NUMEROUS skunks there at the state park. The javelina like to roam the park too.

The Odessa meteor crater is anti-climactic. A side trip to Big Bend would be a better choice.

Take the I -10 route east; you will miss the miles and miles of miles and miles of West Texas witnessed on the I - 20 route.

Davis Mtn state park is one of my favorites. See the fort while you are there.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
A side trip to Big Bend is not exactly that... It is 3.5 hrs from I10.

I would suggest a swim in Balmohrea in Fort Stockton. Southwest of Odessa are the Monahans Sand Hills. Pretty cool to check out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A side trip to Big Bend is not exactly that... It is 3.5 hrs from I10.
I would suggest a swim in Balmohrea in Fort Stockton. Southwest of Odessa are the Monahans Sand Hills. Pretty cool to check out.

In West Texas terms, 3.5 hours IS a day trip. Since the OP will be IN Fort Davis, the trip south is much shorter.
Balmorhea State Park is actually west of Balmorhea, just south of I -10. The water is cold ALL year round.
The state park at the sandhills of Monahans is just north of I - 20 east of Monahans. The sandhills were much more impressive and expansive 20 years ago. That sand gets into everything!
The state park at Junction is nice (I -10).

buckmeister

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have not made hotel/motel reservations in the area, you might be in for a surprise.  Due to the oil boom, lodging is either not available or very expensive.

I tried to find a nice place for several nights in August.  Nothing available between Big Spring and Monahans for less than $175 per night.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the suggestions and friendly advice. We are having a great trip.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I did this trip in the spring.  A couple of things ....

The Confederate Air Force museum is at the Midland/Odessa airport and worth a visit.  Don't miss the nose art gallery.

The part about lodging rates is dead on, $250 a night at the Holiday Inn in Midland/Odessa area.  Call ahead and you'll find that rates vary widely.

We stayed at the Harvard Hotel in Fort Davis, very nice place.  We had a bad experience at the Drug Store (restaurant) next door, but it was mainly service (or lack of) related.
http://www.harvardhotelandlodge.com/

I would really recommend that you go on down Hwy 67 to Presidio and drive the river road (Hwy 170) to Terlingua and on into Big Bend NP.  In Big Bend the thing you don't want to miss is the Basin, where the lodge facilities are.  

Alpine is a cool town, went there on an earlier trip.  There is a Mexican "Fusion" restaurant on the west end of town that was fantastic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top