Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2012 7:05:55 AM EDT
OK here is the deal.

I have two general admission tickets for the Formula 1 Grand Prix this Sunday at Circiut of the Americas. I will be there for the prelims on Friday and Saturday, but unfortunately, I will not be able to go to that final race day due to circumstances beyond my control.

I don't want the tickets to go to waste, and I don't want to go through the hassle of re-selling them. So I will give the tickets to the first person who wants them (and can use them). My only condition is that you have to post a pic from the race so that I know they went to a good home.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll take them. My dad and I want to go. I'll post as many pics as you want.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'll take them. My dad and I want to go. I'll post as many pics as you want.

Done!

PM me where you want them shipped and I will get them Fedex'd out to you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Great! I tried to send you a PM but it said you're not accepting them.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll see if I can fix that

ETA  ... try now
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#5]
PM reply sent. I will try and get them out today.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome to see that in here!  The OP could EASILY...I mean...EASILY have sold that ticket for over $500.

I will be at the race, as well as both practice days.  Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool OP!!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome offer. I paid $200 a ticket for Sundays race
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
It just makes the fact that I won't make it on Sunday not so bad. Should be a good time.

He had better post some god pics though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had wished i could have gone this weekend, but i think im more excited about MotoGP next April.  I wonder when the tickets go on sale and hope that they are less than the F1 race.

ETA:  Never mind, i just looked at their site and they are on sale and pretty reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Left the house at 5am and just got back! The race was a lot of fun. I'll get some pics and a write-up by tomorrow morning.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome. What an amazing race between Hamilton and Vettel, and I am really glad Lewis took it.

That track is going to bring a lot of fun motorsport  events close by. Hope you had a good time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The long walk to the track from the bus drop off point. On the way back, we tried to cut the corner by going through the brush. It worked out great until we hit the stream crossings. I should have gotten a pic of the log we walked across. Falling off would have been memorable!

After the race, we started walking at 3pm. We got to our car at the airport at 5:30. I resisted letting the Lot 1 parkers know that in Lot 2 we only pay $7 a day. They paid $40 for three days. Suckers!

The view from the stairs of the south bridge. I got stuck on the bridge for half an hour around noon on Friday. On Sunday, the race organizers had people organizing the flow so that didn't happen. One fellow stuck fan quipped, "Friday is practice not only for the drivers, but also for the fans. We will not use the bridge ever again!"

General Admission seating at Turn 11. These are the tickets Spiffster gave us. Spiffster has fine taste in tickets. This seating was FAR superior to the bleachers, and the view of the race was good. What you are seeing now is some Mercedes wagon that has been modified to do the same lap times as the SLS pace car. The pace cars took every opportunity to "practice" racing around the track. Lucky!

My $6 folding chair out performed dad's $25 chair because it was lighter, yet just as comfortable. We were hoping that ten percent chance of rain would bring rain, but the skies were clear. Beer was $9 a can, and they sold rapidly. The rule was no more than two per person, but I saw one guy buy four just by saying they were for his friends.

Before the race, the drivers paraded around in classic American convertible cars. Somehow they got even Kimi to wave. Perhaps they threatened to take away his ball cap.

The white car is an early 70s Buick GS. My dad has one and has been auto-crossing it since he bought it in 1970.

Right before the action there was a fly-over of these four planes. You know what they are so I won't bother naming them. There were also some parachutists that came down with American flags. They took their time coming down so the planes had to go fly around over Austin until the skies were clear. Notice how high they were. I would have preferred 200 AGL. F1 fans like excitement.

Here is me trying to take a picture of Alonso, and failing. The poor guy just couldn't catch the two leaders, who seemed to be in a class of their own.

Here is a bad picture of the leaders right before Hamilton passed Vettel for the win. It was nice to have the German leading and the British man winning. The Perez fans were quite wild and I recommend not associating yourself with those hooligans. The British fans wore their flags with dignity and pride.

A couple other people showed up to watch the race. Hats were $50. They were nice hats. Judging by the lines for the official race gear, they could have charged $100 for the hats and still sold out. I learned that F1 fans like wearing clothes with car company logos, the more the better. Somehow the car companies have convinced people to advertise for them by selling them $300 jackets. That is clever marketing. I suppose they are advertising that by wearing a Ferrari logo they are living the Gangnam Style lifestyle.

One must-have on race day are those Fanvision radios. We will be renting one next year. The cars are so loud that you never hear the announcers, and they don't show all of the action on the screen. We had to ask a neighbor what happened to Weber (hey man, his pit seems like it's taking forever ).

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pics. A side note on the flyover. The P-38 leading is Glacier Girl, the P-38 rescued from under the Greenland ice cap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Great write up!

We had one of the Fanvision thingies while I was there, and it made a huge difference in keeping up with what was going on and made the P/Q runs and races (Ferraris for me) much more exciting. We spent our time up on turn 1 between the stands and had every bit as good a view as the folks forking over the big bucks. With the hill, you get a nice view all the way down to the grid and a nice view of the cars as they slow down around the curve before hitting those high speed segments from 2 onward. Binocs gave us a good view of the pits. It looks like it would have also been fun to sit at the end of the DRS zone to watch the battles going on there. Didn't have any troubles with the bridges but of course you had about 30,000 additional people floating around.

I also loved the not so subtle "this is Texas, we have snakes" signs along the walking path.

Those safety cars definitely took every occasion (and then some) possible to do "track inspections" ... Lol

ETA ... Definitely agree about the over the top merchandising. The team shirts looked cool, but where else are you going to wear those things? And $90 for a t-shirt that you can only really wear at the trackside without looking like a douche???!  ... Come on! I did have to laugh at one guy wearing a shirt with the NASCAR logo, but instead of "NASCAR" it said "BORING"
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:43:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great write up!

We had one of the Fanvision thingies while I was there, and it made a huge difference in keeping up with what was going on and made the P/Q runs and races (Ferraris for me) much more exciting. We spent our time up on turn 1 between the stands and had every bit as good a view as the folks forking over the big bucks. With the hill, you get a nice view all the way down to the grid and a nice view of the cars as they slow down around the curve before hitting those high speed segments from 2 onward. Binocs gave us a good view of the pits. It looks like it would have also been fun to sit at the end of the DRS zone to watch the battles going on there. Didn't have any troubles with the bridges but of course you had about 30,000 additional people floating around.

I also loved the not so subtle "this is Texas, we have snakes" signs along the walking path.

Those safety cars definitely took every occasion (and then some) possible to do "track inspections" ... Lol

ETA ... Definitely agree about the over the top merchandising. The team shirts looked cool, but where else are you going to wear those things? And $90 for a t-shirt that you can only really wear at the trackside without looking like a douche???!  ... Come on! I did have to laugh at one guy wearing a shirt with the NASCAR logo, but instead of "NASCAR" it said "BORING"

We had a great time. We were on the burm at turn 19.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Turn 1 and the straight had a lot of action. Maybe we will go there next year.

The race organizers had room for improvement in the transportation area. They need to move the bicycle lot to some of that unused land that was everywhere around the track. Then it wouldn't take 2.5 hours to get out of there.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I was at turn 19. Good spot where you could tell easily which drivers were braking later, pushing it to the limits of grip and often catching them out. I could also see the final corner, pit lane entry, and in the distance the entry and exit to turn 1. Fanvision is a must and completed the experience. Outstanding track to spectate and looking forward to going back for MotoGP. Impatiently awaiting a Drivers Edge event.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top