Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:15:31 PM EDT
As the title says, I'm trying to plan my wedding for May 1, 2013 but am having issue with getting all the details ironed out.

We have the invitations and announcements planned... but nothing else.

I know that's over a year and a half away but I want to get all the planning done now to try and get early bird discounts on things.

My main budget is $7000 for 40-60 guests and not counting the Bride's dress, that's a gift from her parents.

I need ideas for the venue, caterers, and florists.

I was looking at Angel Springs as a place for the event, but I want to see some other options that you people have experienced or know of.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a really tight budget.  My wife and I did a lot of stuff ourselves, and cut a lot of corners compared to what most people spend and we still spent several times what you are planning, and that was in 2008.  Things are more expensive than you might imagine and things add up quickly.  I'd recommend Dunvegan Keep as a venue, except it isn't possible on that kind of budget...  For flowers believe it or not we went with H-E-B and they did a good job.  For catering we used a company over in Wells Branch called Kenny's Coffee Company.  They provide a coffee bar and have TABC licensed bartenders who will pour beer, wine & booze you supply.

Anyway, congrats and I hope that things will work out well for you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That is a really tight budget.  My wife and I did a lot of stuff ourselves, and cut a lot of corners compared to what most people spend and we still spent several times what you are planning, and that was in 2008.  Things are more expensive than you might imagine and things add up quickly.  I'd recommend Dunvegan Keep as a venue, except it isn't possible on that kind of budget...  For flowers believe it or not we went with H-E-B and they did a good job.  For catering we used a company over in Wells Branch called Kenny's Coffee Company.  They provide a coffee bar and have TABC licensed bartenders who will pour beer, wine & booze you supply.

whoops, I meant $7000
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As the title says, I'm trying to plan my wedding for May 1, 2013 but am having issue with getting all the details ironed out.

I know that's over a year and a half away but I want to get all the planning done now to try and get early bird discounts on things.

My main budget is $7000 for 40-60 guests and not counting the Bride's dress, that's a gift from her parents.

I was looking at Angel Springs as a place for the event, but I want to see some other options that you people have experienced or know of.

thanks

I agree with software. $7000 is a very tight budget....but me and my wife did it in league city. Like software we did a lot on our own. Flowers we did fake for brides maids and real for the bride, the cake we got from at the time and unknown baker for $600
that included both the groom and bride cake, the dj we negotiated, and our biggest tip is to find someone you know ie: cater, linens,etc....you will save a lot. I guess my biggest tip is prepare to spend about $1500 on just the photographer. Get a good one as this will be something you will have for the rest of your lives.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

I agree with software. $7000 is a very tight budget....but me and my wife did it in league city. Like software we did a lot on our own. Flowers we did fake for brides maids and real for the bride, the cake we got from at the time and unknown baker for $600
that included both the groom and bride cake, the dj we negotiated, and our biggest tip is to find someone you know ie: cater, linens,etc....you will save a lot. I guess my biggest tip is prepare to spend about $1500 on just the photographer. Get a good one as this will be something you will have for the rest of your lives.

My father and her cousin are photographers, so there's no need to spend on that and a friend of ours is making the cake.

actually the original budget that software saw that $700, not $7000, a typo on my part.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

whoops, I meant $7000

Much more reasonable...  You can get it done on that if you do a lot of the leg work yourself.  Dunvegan Keep as I mentioned is cool for an outside venue.  The other recommendations are still good also.  I wouldn't have done anything different except maybe bought a little less beer and wine because my stick in the mud friends/family didn't drink it all.

Instead of a groom's cake...  I went with a giant Texas shaped cheese from Strykly Texas Cheese down by Schulenburg.  http://www.texascheese.com/  Not only was it a lot cheaper than another cake (and we had way too much cake anyway), it went over really well with people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My fiance and I are getting married in 49 days... we've got the location and her dress done. $6,000 budget for 400 guests.

Trust me buddy, you got no problems.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My fiance and I are getting married in 49 days... we've got the location and her dress done. $6,000 budget for 400 guests.

holy shit! 400 people!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit! 400 people!

We both come from big families, and have a ton of friends.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit! 400 people!

We both come from big families, and have a ton of friends.

You're not feeding them are you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Whens the bachelor party???
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you know anyone that lives in a subdivision that has a community center? Most of the times those place shave clubhouses that you can rent relatively cheap and you dont have to have a licensed caterer for the food. Thats what we did.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The wife & I got married at this place about a year & a half ago : European Bistro
It's a restaurant that serves some great food.  We got the venue, meal, and beer/wine for about $5500 for about 100 people for 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon.  It's owned/run by an old Czech lady (nazi concentration camp survivor) &  her sister.  Everyone said that it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whens the bachelor party???

I don't know... I only have a best man and no other groomsmen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top