Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:20:23 AM EDT
Does anyone know where I can buy second hand metal in NW Houston?  I'm tired of paying for new metal when I want to build something.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Rose steel on pinemont (i think) has an ok selection of surplus steel.  Dont deal with the people in the building, look for one of the yard workers and work out a cash price.  

Also curious for other recomendations.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'll check them out.  Anyone else have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you need?

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I would be looking for angle, channel, tubing (square and round), as well as plate every once in a while.  I usually work on projects during the weekend and it's stupid for me to be paying for new metal when there is surplus stuff out there a lot cheaper.  For instance, I'm looking at building a new fab / welding table and surplus steel would be ideal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The good thing about rose steel is that they are open till 3 pm on saturday.  Since I work an office job they are convienent.

Definitly not like going to SSS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you checked the local scrap yards? We've picked up a bunch of stuff at several different ones, everything from angle iron to 55gal drums for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It's nice to know that there is a place to get metal on the weekend.  Sometimes it's difficult to get away from work during the week to buy metal.  

I have not tried the local scrap yards yet.  I may call around tomorrow to see what's available close to me.

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Check with Supt's on some commercial construction jobs in your area. Just stop and talk to them. I always have some sort of scrap left from jobs. If I don't haul it to the ranch. I sell it or scrap it. If someone pulled in and asked I'd make a deal on what I have if any at the time. Walmarts always have left over steel FYI.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Steel Supply has a pretty big yard full of scrap at their Telephone Road location, I always stop in if I'm in the area, and I've picked up some good stuff.  They sell it by the pound.

I know they have a couple of other locations, I'm not sure where, or if they have surplus at all the locations.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone!  I called around to a couple places today and found several local yards that sell by the pound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top