Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 9:55:58 AM EDT
Ive been carrying for a little over a year now and I never had any real questions untill this weekend when I attended the FW gun show.

Yes, I noticed the 30.06 signs but being it was a GUN show I inquired with the PO checking guns at the table. He said so long as he "secured" it with a tie, I put my ammo back out in my truck, and kept the mag out that I could (his words) reholster and cover it back up. I followed his advice but the more I thought about it the more nervous I got. Did I violate 30.06? Or by having it run through the checkpoint and OK'd, and the fact that it was a gun show, did that negate the issue? Afterall, lots of people were OC'ing in a place that wasnt "under their control" and would have been guilty of a 46.02 violation.

Its such a grey area and if I was in violation, I would have been just by carrying my new purchase in a case right? Afterall, its concealed- even in an off body carry method.

I dont usually frequent them anymore and with all of the "what if" I may just leave the thing in my truck. Afterall im basically disarmed (no ammo) anyways from the time I leave my POV untill I return and load the magazine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
PO authorized you to be there with a gun.  Texas law doesn't distinguish loaded VS unloaded.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...Afterall im basically disarmed (no ammo) anyways from the time I leave my POV untill I return and load the magazine.

Unless you bought another box of ammo from one of the many sellers of ammo at the show...  

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Afterall im basically disarmed (no ammo) anyways from the time I leave my POV untill I return and load the magazine.

Unless you bought another box of ammo from one of the many sellers of ammo at the show...  

Cute but not true.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My understanding, as it was explained to me at a previous gun show, is that you are at a sporting event. This is why so many people walk around with their piece in an OWB holster (unloaded of course).

I don't know how that changes if you are concealed. Is the 30.06 normally up during all events besides the gun show? I doubt they put it up just for the gun show.

It sounds like a gray area, and you're being given a pass. I'm sure if an overzealous popo or DA wanted to they could try and finger you for UCW.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Regarding 30.06.  part of being in violation is carrying the gun "without effective consent".  If the person controlling entry allows you to carry concealed, then even with 30.06 compliant postings you are NOT in violation.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I would venture to guess that Gun Show Promoters want to verify all customers are not carrying loaded guns for insurance reasons.  Imagine how many ND's there would be when folks forget which gun is/is not loaded.  This is another reason they don't want you having a magazine in the gun.  Unfortunately, they allow vendors to self police themselves which is the reason for all the pucker stories.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Well put, Tboy!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My understanding, as it was explained to me at a previous gun show, is that you are at a sporting event. This is why so many people walk around with their piece in an OWB holster (unloaded of course).

I don't know how that changes if you are concealed. Is the 30.06 normally up during all events besides the gun show? I doubt they put it up just for the gun show.

It sounds like a gray area, and you're being given a pass. I'm sure if an overzealous popo or DA wanted to they could try and finger you for UCW.

Oh but they did! The building its always held on is not posted. Come gun show day they wheel out "mobile" 30.06 signage and post it on the way to the pay/check tables.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Regarding 30.06.  part of being in violation is carrying the gun "without effective consent".  If the person controlling entry allows you to carry concealed, then even with 30.06 compliant postings you are NOT in violation.  

Thats what I figured at first. I guess overthinking started getting the better of me and I started to worry about how much his word would hold up if I was approached by other LEO. If it would turn into a "I never told him that" so he could play CYA. I guess I could have just untucked and OC'd.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"Yea I got a nice 1911 for trade, its right here in my holster... here feel it, but be careful its *bang* .....loaded!

Imagine something like that!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I was within 20' of an ND at a Houston gun show.  I'd prefer that folks don't have loaded guns if they are going to be finger-fucking holsters and such.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Were you at a city owned venue?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter since the event trumps city ownership exemption.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I must have missed that section
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
NO gun show promoter is going to endorse locked and loaded carry at gun shows people. It's a liability nightmare and an " OOPS BANG " nightmare waiting to happen.  

Not everyone is as careful as us at ARF DOT COM and some asshat is going to zing a .40 across the floor WAY sooner than later.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Question I had was even with the 30.06 signs at gun shows, are LEO's allowed to carry concealed at gun shows even if off duty?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question I had was even with the 30.06 signs at gun shows, are LEO's allowed to carry concealed at gun shows even if off duty?

LEO do not fall under CHL rules.  They can carry almost anywhere they please, both on duty and off.  Double standard for various reasons.

So, to answer your question - YES.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NO gun show promoter is going to endorse locked and loaded carry at gun shows people. It's a liability nightmare and an " OOPS BANG " nightmare waiting to happen.  

Not everyone is as careful as us at ARF DOT COM and some asshat is going to zing a .40 across the floor WAY sooner than later.

Understood but thats not in ther pervue of my question/concern. From how I see it, they are using 30.06 to corral CHL holders to the table and making sure they are unloaded and sending them on their way with unloaded and zip tied pistols still carrying concealed. Texas law makes no distinction between loaded, unloaded, or "secured" pistols regarding to concealed carry. Ive also never seen any "exception" clause for 30.06 that says you may CC in a posted area so long as your given permission. Therefore there is no real protection offered to people like myself if someone wanted to push the issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood but thats not in ther pervue of my question/concern. From how I see it, they are using 30.06 to corral CHL holders to the table and making sure they are unloaded and sending them on their way with unloaded and zip tied pistols still carrying concealed. Texas law makes no distinction between loaded, unloaded, or "secured" pistols regarding to concealed carry. Ive also never seen any "exception" clause for 30.06 that says you may CC in a posted area so long as your given permission. Therefore there is no real protection offered to people like myself if someone wanted to push the issue.

Read carefully the 30.06 law

Sec. 30.06.  TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN.
(a)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1)  carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent;  and
(2)  received notice that
A)  entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden;  or
(B)  remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.

That means that a person who obtains consent to carry may do so regardless of any posted signage.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As TXI said, you have consent to enter once it's unloaded and ziptied at the front desk and this is written into the UCW statutes as highlighted.

Gunshow promoters dont mind if you have your gun, they simply can't have a policy where loaded guns are permitted.  It's a civil court nightmare if someone gets hurt, or WHEN someone does.  If a vendor violates this on his own, he would be subject to the same civil liability.

What issue do you want to push?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you SURE about that? A gunshow is not a "sporting" event as defined under the statute. On city owned property that doesn't meet other exemptions I dunno that the promoter can legally bar CHLs- he's not "the owner" of the premises, the City is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Lot of wrong information on this thread.

If it is a Texas Government owned building and the events there are not expressly prohibited = invalid 30 - 06

LEO gives you permission to have a gun there = invalid 30 - 06 sign and YES it can be loaded as there is no loaded vs unloaded distinction in the law.

My personal opinion is the best way to carry a loaded gun and keep it safe is LEAVE IT IN THE HOLSTER.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
30.06 is irrelevant at a gun show, for several reasons:
1) You are not carrying under authority of CHL law, thus 30.06 does not apply.

2) If you declare it and gun-checker gives it back, you have effective consent.

3) Often gun shows (not all), are on Gov.t property.

No need though to stick this in anyone's face, thus resulting in the law getting changed.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you SURE about that? A gunshow is not a "sporting" event as defined under the statute
What is the statutory definition?  And where might I find it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No need though to stick this in anyone's face, thus resulting in the law getting changed.

Certain shows, promoters make an announcement every 15 minutes or so, stating the basic 30.06 language (I'm sure to protect themselves).  If somebody doesn't declare their CCW to be secured (emptied & tied) are they breaking any laws?  I wouldn't want to image the cost of insurance if attendees are allowed to carry loaded guns into the shows.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you SURE about that? A gunshow is not a "sporting" event as defined under the statute

Penal Code 46.035 (2) deals with prohibiting weapons at sporting events. It says high school, collegiate, professional or interscholastic (I guess that covers Middle School games etc...) sporting events.

A gun show is NONE of those things. There is no way the craftiest of DA's is going to be able to argue that a gunshow is a school or professional sporting event. All I would ask is- "What was the score at the end of the show?" No score/winner- not a sporting event. That's my take, see what you think.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Certain shows, promoters make an announcement every 15 minutes or so, stating the basic 30.06 language (I'm sure to protect themselves).  If somebody doesn't declare their CCW to be secured (emptied & tied) are they breaking any laws?  I wouldn't want to image the cost of insurance if attendees are allowed to carry loaded guns into the shows.

No laws are broken, does not mean they cannot be asked to leave.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Penal Code 46.035 (2) deals with prohibiting weapons at sporting events. It says high school, collegiate, professional or interscholastic (I guess that covers Middle School games etc...) sporting events.

A gun show is NONE of those things. There is no way the craftiest of DA's is going to be able to argue that a gunshow is a school or professional sporting event. All I would ask is- "What was the score at the end of the show?" No score/winner- not a sporting event. That's my take, see what you think.....

"sporting events" has nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When he said "event trumps city ownership exemption" I thought he was talking about the Sporting Event as off limits provision. What "EVENT" makes a CHL invalid on City property and where is it listed because I sure don't find it? Is he trying to say that somehow the Event Holder becomes the Property Owner with the right to exclude CHL holders even when it's a Government owned building? I don't buy that at all. The Event Holder cannot institute policies that conflict with the TRUE owners (the city etc....) rights/responsibilities and that includes the right of CHL carriers to carry in government owned buildings where they are not specifically, by law, excluded.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When he said "event trumps city ownership exemption" I thought he was talking about the Sporting Event as off limits provision. What "EVENT" makes a CHL invalid on City property and where is it listed because I sure don't find it?

He is confused.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When he said "event trumps city ownership exemption" I thought he was talking about the Sporting Event as off limits provision. What "EVENT" makes a CHL invalid on City property and where is it listed because I sure don't find it?

He is confused.

I edited my post. I don't see that the Event Holder has ANY authority to prohibit a CHL holder in a government building that is otherwise not a prohibited place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does not define sporting event.  It tells you specific types of events where it is not lawful to carry a handgun.  

Penal code 46.15(b) tells us that the law prohibiting the carry of handguns does not apply at sporting events where the handgun us commonly used.  The two laws have nothing to do with each other.  

"Sporting Event" is not defined in the penal code.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is confused.

I edited my post. I don't see that the Event Holder has ANY authority to prohibit a CHL holder in a government building that is otherwise not a prohibited place.

In reality, if the location is owned or leased by a government entity, then 30.06 does not apply UNLESS it is a location already off limits under 46.03 or 46.035.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is confused.

I stand corrected.

ETA - I was trying to state an event can trump a venue but I guess that is not always the case for 30:06.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is confused.

In reality, if the location is owned or leased by a government entity, then 30.06 does not apply UNLESS it is a location already off limits under 46.03 or 46.035.

And SO, the event holder has NO authority to post it using 30.06, right? What other basis could they use for excluding a CHL holder from a government owned building they were renting?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is confused.

And SO, the event holder has NO authority to post it using 30.06, right? What other basis could they use for excluding a CHL holder from a government owned building they were renting?

They can post it, it is just not enforceable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is confused.

They can post it, it is just not enforceable.

That's been my position all along. I mean, they can put up a sign that says whatever they want but it has NO legal consequences whatsoever. It's just used to scare gunowners (who are a law abiding right into the cattle car bunch for the most part) into doing what the promoter wants. I understand the reasoning, I'm sure it's a condition of his insurance etc....but I don't pay those signs any attention personally and "carry on".
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's been my position all along. I mean, they can put up a sign that says whatever they want but it has NO legal consequences whatsoever. It's just used to scare gunowners (who are a law abiding right into the cattle car bunch for the most part) into doing what the promoter wants. I understand the reasoning, I'm sure it's a condition of his insurance etc....but I don't pay those signs any attention personally and "carry on".

Preach On!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW this was the Will Rogers Center in Fort Worth. Without actually bothering to search im not sure who actually owne it- city probably.
It seems like its the same case with the FW Zoo. City owned lande and not able to be 30.06 posted- but it is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#40]
The shows here in Amarillo are at the Civic Center and they post signs at the entrance and announce it all the time over the PA. Again, I just "carry on". I know the cops they have working the doors, I'm pretty sure they "know" that I'm carrying. I never of course raise the issue and keep it concealed as it should be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The shows here in Amarillo are at the Civic Center and they post signs at the entrance and announce it all the time over the PA. Again, I just "carry on". I know the cops they have working the doors, I'm pretty sure they "know" that I'm carrying. I never of course raise the issue and keep it concealed as it should be.

They actually have shows in Amarillo?  How many tables?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They actually have shows in Amarillo?  How many tables?

Two different promoters- show every 2 months or so. Hill show, not the greatest, too many jerky vendors etc..Although he has a new milsurp dealer that is showing up- last show he had .30 and .50 cal cans for $5 apiece, you pick them. For here, that's a damn good price, no local source and shipping eats your lunch on that sutff........

Pioneer Gun Collectors put on about 3 shows a year, local gun collecting "club". Tables are free to members- these guys, many of them older will sometimes dig out some cool shit and throw it on the table- stuff they bought in the 60's etc....You never know what you will see. About a year ago for example a guy died and some of his buddies sold his stuff, no guns, I dunno where those went- probably to club guys but the amount of reloading stuff etc...was nothing short of staggering. I bought 10 of the MTM Caseguard shotgun shell 100 Round cases for $40- those are about $20 apiece these days. Most of my shotgun ammo is now very neatly stored! I spent about $400 at those 4 tables and what I got filled the back seat of my truck and then some- bullet moulds, brass, lead hardness tester, slings, bullets, old reloading manuals and shooting books, dies....all the little shit that can be pretty expensive these days.

I'm going to say on average there is 100 tables, maybe a little less, never really counted. It fills one of the larger exhibit halls at the Civic Center- of course that is easily manipulated by how they space the tables etc....Usually a decent show, not great, not shitty, decent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top