Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 8:06:02 AM EDT
I am going to sit down and write a letter or two, and I think if we all did we could get this overturned.  Many states allow suppressor use for game animals, and Texas is behind the curve.  If you don't have a suppressor, you could have a .223 can for around $700 with the tax stamp paid––they aren't too expensive.  Below is my reasoning, which can be a good start for a letter.

If you have ever heard 5.56 (.223) or .308 suppressed, you know it is not overly quiet.  You wouldn't gain an unfair advantage, where the animals just stand there like nothing happened.  I hunt feral hogs with suppressors, and out of a 5.56/.308 they react just as with an unsuppressed gun, but the effect on my hearing isn't as severe.  There are sub sonic rounds that are more quiet, but not many folks would use them for hunting due to the reduced range from the low velocity rounds.  If they did, it would be more akin to bow hunting, which is legal anyway––both are close range and make little sound.

What you would gain is the purpose of the suppressors, hearing protection!  I have always hunted with no hearing protection (ear plugs, etc) so I can hear what is going on around me.  Hearing loss is cumulative, and over the years you will start to gain a ringing in your ears and eventually hearing loss.  Furthermore, I have guns I want to use to hunt game, but they have a muzzle brake permanently attached to accommodate a suppressor.  Without the suppressor the brake is way to loud to shoot without hearing protection, ruling it out for hunting game animals.

Maybe someone could help me with who needs to be contacted.  I am assuming it would be a director or high up in TPWD.  That is who would make these rules, correct?  Chime in if you know, also to say if you agree/disagree and why.  You are entitled to do as you wish obviously, but I am going to write a letter to voice my opinion either way.  This isn't out of reach, as many states already allow it.  A few I know of from a thread in the suppressor forum are AR, WI, MO, PA, VA, MI.

ETA:  Let's get the ball rolling.  I made an online petition to start building some momentum.  You can sign anonymously if you wish.  Thanks for the support, and spread the petition around!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you'll have much luck because most fudds consider suppressors to be illegal and unsporting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll sign a petition!

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I agree, we need to get this fixed.

My personal opinion is that TPWD won't help, we'll have to get it fixed legislatively.  Anyone have an in with their State Rep or Senator?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's silly to not be allowed to use legal weapons for hunting.

Until you get the rules changed why don't you try electronic hearing protection?  It isn't quite as good as unprotected hearing but these days it is very good and costs much less than a suppressor.  Even $70 electronic muffs are good these days.  $180 muffs are even better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got my new Dillon electronic hearing protection for $58 last week, and it works great!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Lets go one step further. Suppressors should just be unregulated. I mean, the average person (majority of the populace) wouldn't gain or lose anything either way, or have any interest what so ever. It's not like suppressors 'silence' guns, as hollywood likes to make it seem. That majority has that illusion of course.
So basically, a suppressor does just that, suppresses, but its not even close to being 'silent'. In fact it's quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I want one so bad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got my new Dillon electronic hearing protection for $58 last week, and it works great!

Can you expand?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lets go one step further. Suppressors should just be unregulated. I mean, the average person (majority of the populace) wouldn't gain or lose anything either way, or have any interest what so ever. It's not like suppressors 'silence' guns, as hollywood likes to make it seem. That majority has that illusion of course.
So basically, a suppressor does just that, suppresses, but its not even close to being 'silent'. In fact it's quite the opposite.

I agree, but this is a step in the right direction.  Plus, that is a whole different level of gov't to deal with.

Quoted:
I want one so bad.

I'm sure most of us have rifles that cost more (especially if you have an AR, as we are on ARFCOM afterall  ).  Just a little patience is all you need.  If you have some land around Austin I would be more than happy to bring a few out.  Pig hunting will also get me off my butt with cans in tow  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Signed - but I seriously doubt anything will happen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same here. There are "bigger fish to fry" as far as our legislatures are concerned. Look at laws like auto knives, that is an outdated law that does not seem to be going away any time soon. Hell we could not even get open carry passed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you have ever heard 5.56 (.223) or .308 suppressed, you know it is not overly quiet.

While I agree that there's no reason we shouldn't be able to hunt with suppressors and I regularly hunt hogs with a suppressor, the above statement isn't totally true. Have you ever stood down range when someone is shooting a suppressed 5.56? At 75 yards it sounds like a cap gun and is nowhere near comparable to an unsuppressed gun. We shoot hogs and if you drop the one you're aiming at without much squealing the rest of them will often come back. Try that with an unsuppressed gun.

Unfortunately, I don't see this ever happening unless suppressors get a lot more common place than they are now.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
That can be the case, sometimes they run too.  I meant from the shooters perspective also though, you get a good "crack".  With a deer you won't be sitting there dropping a bunch anyway, and they are typically more skidish than hogs (when not going crazy in rut).  At least the ones worth shooting  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have ever heard 5.56 (.223) or .308 suppressed, you know it is not overly quiet.

While I agree that there's no reason we shouldn't be able to hunt with suppressors and I regularly hunt hogs with a suppressor, the above statement isn't totally true. Have you ever stood down range when someone is shooting a suppressed 5.56? At 75 yards it sounds like a cap gun and is nowhere near comparable to an unsuppressed gun. We shoot hogs and if you drop the one you're aiming at without much squealing the rest of them will often come back. Try that with an unsuppressed gun.

Unfortunately, I don't see this ever happening unless suppressors get a lot more common place than they are now.

I've loaded my 308 where you barely hear it but had just enough power to punch a hole in paper.  I'm curious the effect with Subsonic on large game.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Can we advertise this around on some of the Class III forums?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That can be the case, sometimes they run too.  I meant from the shooters perspective also though, you get a good "crack".  With a deer you won't be sitting there dropping a bunch anyway, and they are typically more skidish than hogs (when not going crazy in rut).  At least the ones worth shooting  

From the shooters perspective is irrelevant since the shooter isn't the one getting shot at. I'm just saying, your initial statement is not accurate and by using a suppressor you're going to have a chance to kill more animals, whether it's deer, hogs, whatever. They won't scatter like usual or from as far away as usual because the firearm is significantly quieter when suppressed.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
signed and commented
good luck....though I dont have a whole lot of faith anything will happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can we advertise this around on some of the Class III forums?

I have it up in the suppressor forum on this site.  If any of you guys are members on other forums please post it up there too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1  

Doesn't hurt to try & get the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I j u s t  g o t  m y  n e w  D i l l o n  e l e c t r o n i c   h e a r i n g   p r o t e c t i o n   f o r  $ 5 8   l a s t   w e e k ,   a n d   i t   w o r k s   g r e a t !

Can you expand?

There you go
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I j u s t  g o t  m y  n e w  D i l l o n  e l e c t r o n i c   h e a r i n g   p r o t e c t i o n   f o r  $ 5 8   l a s t   w e e k ,   a n d   i t   w o r k s   g r e a t !

Can you expand?

There you go

He is referring to ear protection with a mic/speakers so you can hear with them on.  I believe at a certain decibel it cuts the speakers off, or at least they don't get louder.  The problems with them are they don't pick up everything, and mainly you get no sense of the direction the sound is coming from.  Some of the more affordable ones I've used don't have great sound quality also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top