Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 6:27:28 PM EDT
Ok so after not getting much interest on the EE i posted a rifle on Tx guntrader which i figured works pretty much like craigslist. Ive had about 6 people message me, three with low ball offers and 3 with acceptable offers.

Of those three two wanna meet tomorrow, and when i checked the add it said "sold" but i cant figure out which person offered to buy it first after i called both of them. Is there a way to figure this out?

Also, im wondering where i should meet the buyer. Im NOT going to allow them into my home, even though im listing my address on this receipt, and i dont have any gun stores around here where i could meet in the parking lot. Im thinking a local HPD substation parking lot. Any better ideas?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Ok so after not getting much interest on the EE i posted a rifle on Tx guntrader which i figured works pretty much like craigslist. Ive had about 6 people message me, three with low ball offers and 3 with acceptable offers.

Of those three two wanna meet tomorrow, and when i checked the add it said "sold" but i cant figure out which person offered to buy it first after i called both of them. Is there a way to figure this out?

Also, im wondering where i should meet the buyer. Im NOT going to allow them into my home, even though im listing my address on this receipt, and i dont have any gun stores around here where i could meet in the parking lot. Im thinking a local HPD substation parking lot. Any better ideas?

You're gonna do a gun deal in the Houston police station parking lot? No way that could go wrong.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your messages on the site, you should be able to see their messages just like your email inbox and see a timestamp when you got the messages.  

As far as a meeting place really it's up to whatever you two decide.  I try to pick places where people aren't going to freak out if they see a rifle or handgun by chance.  I live in the DFW area and I have met in Academy parking lots a few times as well as Dicks sporting goods too.  Any ranges around you?

I've sold lots of stuff on that site.  Your experience is typical, you'll get some crazy stupid offers and a few that are realistic.  Unfortunately it seems the stupid offers out number the good ones lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I normally use Home Depot parking lots since they are huge. HEB works too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're gonna do a gun deal in the Houston police station parking lot? No way that could go wrong.

HAHA - motown made me spit my water out with that one.

um, I think unless you are REAL well known at that substation, might be a good idea to go to Academy, a range, a gun store etc.  I'm a cop and I would not do that in front of any of the substations in my area except the one I work, and I think I would still try to find somewhere else.

As far as putting your address on the receipt. maybe a work address is better?  I would hate to sell a gun and give the person my home address.  Even if they are totally straight and narrow, who's to say that he doesn't park the car at Chuys for lunch, get his shit burglarized and the thief picks up the rifle and the receipt?  I know, paranoid, but just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are you putting your address on the receipt?  I wouldn't unless someone specifically asked for it.  I've never been asked for a receipt by a buyer, but I like to get a simple bill of sale signed for my records.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree sporting goods places like Academy are less likely to draw the OMGWTF a GUN! crowd.  You also provide the buyer a sort of one-stop shopping, he can go in and pick up some ammo if needed.

*Hell if he dresses like today's urban yutes, sell it to him in a bank parking lot.  Then videotape him going in to rob it, wait for crimestoppers spot on TV, turn him in and profit!*  

*This is in no way to be taken seriously.*
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Would it be a bad idea to list your driver's license # on the receipt instead of your home address?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would it be a bad idea to list your driver's license # on the receipt instead of your home address?

Why do either one?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do either one?

Let's say I buy a 6920 out of someone's trunk at Walmart.  A receipt, Bill of Sale, etc. not not guarantee that it wasn't stolen, but I think most sellers are not going to go to the trouble of getting a fake driver's license, creating a fake paper trail, etc. if they knew it was.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#10]
But to echo the poster two posts above mine, why do either one?

A receipt isn't going to stop your gun being taken away if its stolen. It also isn't going to allow you to take it back if it breaks.

In the short time I've been in TX I've seen some excellent fake drivers licenses and a superb fake CHL, they are easy to get and a person who steals guns should have no trouble getting one, so the details and getting them are irrelevant.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]
don't give them a receipt and meet at a well lit gas station at night or preferably during the day. all gas stations have video cameras.  OR HEB.  I've bought and sold about 6 items on the TGT and have had good luck buying and selling.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do either one?

Let's say I buy a 6920 out of someone's trunk at Walmart.  A receipt, Bill of Sale, etc. not not guarantee that it wasn't stolen, but I think most sellers are not going to go to the trouble of getting a fake driver's license, creating a fake paper trail, etc. if they knew it was.

How are you protected?  If you buy it believing it is legit you will not be in trouble for having stolen property.  OTOH you will lose your firearm with or without a bill of sale if it ever turns out to be stolen.  That will happen even if you unknowingly buy a firearm from a dealer that has been reported as stolen.

If you think it may be a shady deal then pass.  If you believe it is on the up and up then I don't see how you get any protection from a bill of sale.

I think the bill of sale thing is nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Try  meeting at a gun range, all of the above, cameras, no surprise at guns in view, and guess what, you can even shoot them. TGT has printable bill of sale, fill out as much or as little info as you like.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What receipt?  Meet in parking lot of gunshop in daylight hours at a convenience to both of you.  Shake hands.  Exchange gun for cash.  Shake hands.  Say "glad to have met you" and leave.  No home address.  No phone number.  No DNA sample.  No hugging.  It's a simple transaction.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What receipt?  Meet in parking lot of gunshop in daylight hours at a convenience to both of you.  Shake hands.  Exchange gun for cash.  Shake hands.  Say "glad to have met you" and leave.  No home address.  No phone number.  No DNA sample.  No hugging.  It's a simple transaction.

What this guy said.  It's a cash transaction, with no paperwork.  It's Laissez faire capitalism at its finest.

I still don't understand the receipt part.  What's it for anyway?  Taxes?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What this guy said.  It's a cash transaction, with no paperwork.  It's Laissez faire capitalism at its finest.

I still don't understand the receipt part.  What's it for anyway?  Taxes?

A bill of sale can only be used against you as far as I can tell.  Gives them your name and address and what ever other info you want to put on there.  DL #?

Even if the buyer\sellers are honest where else will that info go next sale or if the gun is stolen?

Not to mention a paper trail for the FED.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely No hugging*....Unless, she's hot.

I haven't run into that problem yet.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you haven't ever bought or sold anything to that guy up there by Canton?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I used Bass Pro in Grapevine last Saturday for an FTF. The place is so big no one was within a 100 yards of us.

As for a bill of sale,not going to happen. If thats what the seller wants then i'll have to pass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you haven't ever bought or sold anything to that guy up there by Canton?  

Nope.  Not even sure if he likes guns or not.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I have sold 8 guns so far on Texas Gun Trader. I love that site, when they have come to me, I met at my local Target parking lot in Memorial City Mall. Thats here in Houston. You want to pick a public place, with lots of Cameras.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT DO THE DEAL IN ANY POLICE PARKING LOT! That is just asking for trouble.

Just make sure its public, with security cameras pointing at you. Just in case something goes wrong, people will have video.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I've sold a few on TGT and met at the corner gas station, Academy parking lot, and at a nearby mall parking lot.  I prefer somewhere there is lots of traffic/activity nearby.  All I have ever asked for is to sign a bill of sale with the description of the gun I'm selling, the date, and a note saying they are legally able to buy whatever gun it is under Texas law.  That's it, no personal info and again it's just for my records and I don't expect it to save me if the ATF comes knocking on the door.   I have had one person ask for a copy of it and that's fine, but it sure as hell doesn't have any personal information about me on there either.  

I usually browse the local ads on there fairly often.  There was one on there the other day where the seller stated he would require a photo copy/scan of the buyer's driver's license.  I told him  he was nuts if he expected that to happen
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Some decent advice in this thread. Go to a public place but not a substation parking lot. If an officer were to roll by and seen two unknown guys handling firearms in a police parking lot might not turn out good, although nothing illegal is going on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top