Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2011 6:16:15 PM EDT
Finally went to the Saltlick in Round Rock tonight.

I don't know why everyone on the board recommends it, I think Rudy's is way better. The food just wasn't that good and the service was poor.
Don't think I will be back, not with so many better bbq places around here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Should've gone to the original in Driftwood.

I don't know if I would say the Salt Lick has the best BBQ ever but I think it is pretty dang good.  A big part of what makes the Salt Lick great is the atmosphere at the original location.  I haven't ever been to the RR location but I don't think I would ever go out of my to go there, just don't see the point having been to the original.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don't know if I would say the Salt Lick has the best BBQ ever but I think it is pretty dang good.  A big part of what makes the Salt Lick great is the atmosphere at the original location.  I haven't ever been to the RR location but I don't think I would ever go out of my to go there, just don't see the point having been to the original.

I agree. Rudy's is by far superior IMO. However, some people thing In-N-out is better than Whataburger!

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The Salt lick's bar b q  in Driftwood used to be in a class of it's own. Not been there ever since I sold my Harley and now it's too far to drive. I would never take an out of town guest to or even recomend Rudy's even though I pass by one every day. The one on S. 360 sucks, I can bar b q as good or better than that
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
oops, dbl tap  
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Rudy's sucks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've only had BBQ once that I thought truly sucked, and it was at some place in a strip mall that I should've known better to avoid.  All the other well known places I like for different reasons and I wouldn't turn down a meal from any of them.

The Salt Lick (Driftwood) is great for entertaining and group gatherings.  Not a huge fan of their style potato salad but love everything else.

Rudy's is great for weekday lunches or when I don't feel like making a big fuss eating out.  The new potatoes are great.  Hate their "sause", seems way too generically store bought-ish.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Been to the one in Driftwood twice - was disappointed both times.

Rudy's is OK sometimes - and pretty bad other times.

Ditto for Cooper's.

County Line is always excellent.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been to the one in Driftwood twice - was disappointed both times.

Rudy's is OK sometimes - and pretty bad other times.

Ditto for Cooper's.

Cooper's in Llano is good and Opie's on 71 in Spicewood ain't bad with free beans plus I live close.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Dear god... County Line...

I live literally 5 minutes from the County Line (on Lake Austin) and wouldnt go here even if it was free.  The only BBQ worse than the County Line is Pokey Joe's and that shit would would have to pay me to eat.

Rudy's is OK depending upon the location and day,  Rudy's sides (potato salad, cream corn, slaw) are above board.  It not out of the norm for me to BBQ at the house and run up to the Rudys on 620/2222 and pick up sides to go with my meat.  Salt Lick food is ho-hum as well but the original has good ambiance vs. you normal Rudy's on the side of a highway access road.

If you want really good BBQ you need to head to lockhart.  (Smitty's being my favorite) or Louie Muellers in Taylor.  I know people rave about Franklins but I just don't get what the hype is about Franklins.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Rudy's is good....

....for a chain BBQ joint. I put it five notch's higher than Spring Creek and two notches higher than Luther's.

Best BBQ I've ever had? City Market in Luling with Central Texas Style BBQ in Pearland a close second.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ever had a late night  and go to ihop and think " these are the best damn pancakes I ever ate!" ? Thats how it was after I had salt lick at both locations.  It's good bbq, but to be honest I might have thought it was damn good because of the 6 pack I had waiting an hour to get in the place. Driftwood is definitely the place to go though IMO before you make your final judgement on the place
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rudy's sucks!

This man speaketh the truth.  I put Rudy's one notch above Bill Miller's, which as someone so eloquently put it is "the McDonald's of BBQ."  

Basically:

Bill Miller's = McDonald's
Rudy's = Whataburger  

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I found the Rudy's in the Austin area to be good, but away from Austin the quality of food really sucks. Rudy's are franchised and the company that owns the stores in the Austin area also own Mighty Fine. The franchiser makes all the difference.

As far as Saltlick, the Round Rock location looks like the original except for no 40 years of wear and tear (character)
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#14]

In central Texas
the BBQ hierarchy is this:

Tier 1: Kreuz, Smitty’s, Louie Mueller’s, Cooper’s, City Meat
Market (Giddings), City Market (Luling)

Tier 2: Salt Lick, Black’s, Iron Works, Stubbs, Uncle Billy’s,
Lambert’s, Franklin

Tier 3 (better than fast food): Rudy's, County line, Bill Millers,
Pok-E-Jo’s, Art’s Rib House, Green Mesquite, Mann’s

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In central Texas the BBQ hierarchy is this:

Tier 1: Kreuz, Smitty’s, Louie Mueller’s, Cooper’s, City MeatMarket (Giddings), City Market (Luling),Southside (Elgin), Meyers (Elgin)

Tier 2: Salt Lick, Black’s, Iron Works, Stubbs, Uncle Billy’s,Lambert’s, Franklin,

Tier 3 (better than fast food): Rudy's, County line, Bill Millers,Pok-E-Jo’s, Art’s Rib House, Green Mesquite, Mann’s, Salt Lick

Fify

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#16]
County Line & Rudy's on the same level as Bill Miller?  Really?

I've had Cooper's in Llano and I didn't think it was all that great, certainly not better than The Salt Lick.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Cream corn at Rudy's is GODLY....now you may continue this epic debate that so far has gone no where
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In central Texasthe BBQ hierarchy is this:

Tier 1: Kreuz, Smitty’s, Louie Mueller’s, Cooper’s, City MeatMarket (Giddings), City Market (Luling)

Tier 2: Salt Lick, Black’s, Iron Works, Stubbs, Uncle Billy’s,Lambert’s, Franklin

Tier 3 (better than fast food): Rudy's, County line, Bill Millers,Pok-E-Jo’s, Art’s Rib House, Green Mesquite, Mann’s

I'd move Black's and Franklin's up to tier 1 at least as far as the Brisket goes. The OP should have traveled a few miles farther into Taylor. Mueller's, Taylor Cafe or Davis would all be better than the RR Salt Lick as far as BBQ goes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know why everyone on the board recommends it, I think Rudy's is way better. The food just wasn't that good and the service was poor.

I've been to the one in Driftwood (i think thats where it was) and it wasn't any better. The service was good, but the BBQm was nothing more than ok.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

County Line & Rudy's on the same level as Bill Miller?  Really?

I've had Cooper's in Llano and I didn't think it was all that great, certainly not better than The Salt Lick.

IMHO, the BBQ at Cooper's in Llano is far better than TSL.  Now if you are talking about sides, that is another story.    My breakdown was based on meat- not veggies or dessert.  County Line's BBQ is actually pretty good for a restaurant, and with the sides, ambiance, service, boat access,etc. they could be Tier 2.  A great place to take out of town guests.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cream corn at Rudy's is GODLY....now you may continue this epic debate that so far has gone no where

The cream corn at a Austin's Rudy's is really good, they make it themselves. The rest of Rudy's are just pretty good, they get it in bags from their commissary. I lucked out, I'm pretty good at 'taste it and make it' but could never get my corn as good as an Austin Rudy's. I asked one of their cooks what was in their creamed corn, was missing some parmesan cheese.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
The Saltlick in RR I thought was better than Rudy's. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Even Hitler knew better than to go to Salt Lick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would have been pissed if I drove all the way to Driftwood for that. The atmosphere at the RR location was nice, if I was still a boozer it would be a nice place to knock some beer back, but for all the hype I was very disapointed. At least it wasn't expensive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I love me some Rudy's
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember once when my lawyer buddy bought me luch at Rudy's on 360. We got up to leave and one of their phony homestun signs read "If your mother doesn't work here, please clean up after yourself." I said :well our mothers don't work here so I guess we better take our greasy papers and and throw them away." He said to leave it, that "My mother never charged me $20.00 for two plates of bar b q."
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I've never been a fan of Salt Lick and I only live about 15 min from there. I ate Rudy's today and it was ok. St. Louis ribs are ok there.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned RailRoad BBQ out in Manchaca. I've been eating there for 26 years. SOMETIMES they are hit or miss but usually it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Tier 1: Kreuz, Smitty’s, Louie Mueller’s, Cooper’s, City MeatMarket (Giddings), City Market (Luling)

Tier 2: Salt Lick, Black’s, Iron Works, Stubbs, Uncle Billy’s,Lambert’s, Franklin

Tier 3 (better than fast food): Rudy's, County line, Bill Millers,Pok-E-Jo’s, Art’s Rib House, Green Mesquite, Mann’s

I agree with this post. As a former traveling salesman, I've been to almost everyone of these places and if I could actually remember all their names, that's pretty close to how I would rank them. I think Rudy's is way overrated.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree with this post.  

I would add a Tier 4 (dog food): Luling City Market (Houston), Spring Creek BBQ (Hell)
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would add a Tier 4 (dog food): Luling City Market (Houston), Spring Creek BBQ (Hell)

No argument there. The Luling City Market in Houston awful, the one in Luling should be ashamed to have their name attached to it. Spring Creek is just garbage –– I'd rather have no BBQ than their BBQ. Only place worse, IMO, is Brookstreet BBQ in Missouri City.

I just don't get why everyone is in love with Rudy's, it's good but not great –– I say the same thing about Five Guys. Bill Miller's is just awful.

Edit: Really bad grammar and spelling.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned RailRoad BBQ out in Manchaca. I've been eating there for 26 years. SOMETIMES they are hit or miss but usually it's good stuff.

Oh man, my experience with RailRoad BBQ was so bad that I must've blocked it from memory until now.  Last year our kids were taking piano lessons in the area so my wife & I would have an hour to kill on Wednesday evenings so we'd usually just go somewhere to eat.  We tried the RailRoad BBQ and IMO it would definitely be Tier 4.  Nothing was fresh, the meat obviously was just reheated stuff.  I realize it was a Wednesday and very slow but still, first impressions can be a killer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument there. The Luling City Market in Houston awful, the one in Luling should be ashamed to have their name attached to it. Spring Creek is just garbage –– I'd rather have no BBQ than their BBQ. Only place worse, IMO, is Brookstreet BBQ in Missouri City.

I just don't get why everyone is in love with Rudy's, it's good but not great –– I say the same thing about Five Guys. Bill Miller's is just awful.

Edit: Really bad grammar and spelling.

One thing Rudy's has going for them, at least the Austin locations, is that the overall quality is very consistent.  Their BBQ may not be the greatest but IMO it's never bad and you always know what to expect.  Also, Rudy's is often the most convenient if you haven't already planned to eat BBQ or like I mentioned earlier, weekday lunches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#33]
BBQ quality can be totally dependent on if you get there when it's fresh off the pit or has it been sitting out for hours and become rawhide. I think Snow's in Lexington has got it figured out, They are only open on Saturday mornings and are usually sold out by 10-12 in the morning. Always good fresh BBQ.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luling City Market has a very weak link to City Market in Luling.  Houston Press story
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My two favs are Smitty's and Kruezt
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I've eaten at the both Salt Lick locations in the last month.  My first experience was in Driftwood and second in Round Rock.  I, and my dinner companions, thought it was excellent.  I felt that the two locations / meals were very consistent.  I'm a fan, but I have not eaten at many locations on the bbq "the chart" in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#37]
+10000000 for Louie Mueller's
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hey....you order your boots yet?

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
For those who have been to the Salt Lick in Driftwood, a bit of Trivia....

Back in '89 or so, I was working for the Hays County SO. (County in which Driftwood is located).
Willie Nelson, and Chris Kristopherson were shooting a made for TV movie in Driftwood at the State park.
The movie was called "A Pair of Aces".
Anyway...The movie shoot lasted for about two weeks. I got to work security on the set with a few other Deputies. That's an interesting story in itself, but I'll skip it for now.

On the last day of filming, A Friday, Willie decided that he wanted BBQ for lunch. He had made comments throughout the week about smelling BBQ. That smell was coming from the Salt Lick, which is almost across the street from where we were.
So Willie, and some of the other crew went to Salt Lick for lunch. Of course, we went with him..
He loved the place.

A couple of years later, Willie and Chris filmed a sequel to "A Pair of Aces" called "Another Pair of Aces".
Willie remembered the Salt Lick, and arranged for it to be used in one of the scenes. Of course, they excersized a bit of poetic license, and made the Salt Lick look kind of like a dinner club. It was complete with a live band. That band was George Strait, and his "Ace in the Hole band" no less.

So if you've never been to the Driftwood Salt Lick, and you'd like to see what it looks like on the inside, try and find a copy of that movie. (Good Luck).

And as previously said, I like the BBQ, but not a real fan of the potatoe salad.
Though I have to admit, it's been some 20 years since I've been there.
Wow...Time flies...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick em up this Friday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man, my experience with RailRoad BBQ was so bad that I must've blocked it from memory until now.  Last year our kids were taking piano lessons in the area so my wife & I would have an hour to kill on Wednesday evenings so we'd usually just go somewhere to eat.  We tried the RailRoad BBQ and IMO it would definitely be Tier 4.  Nothing was fresh, the meat obviously was just reheated stuff.  I realize it was a Wednesday and very slow but still, first impressions can be a killer.

I live down the street from RailRoad BBQ...I have been there about 3-4 times and all seems to be ok...never had any issues. However, I could see where you could have a problem with the food as they may get about 3-4 customers a day
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live down the street from RailRoad BBQ...I have been there about 3-4 times and all seems to be ok...never had any issues. However, I could see where you could have a problem with the food as they may get about 3-4 customers a day

Railroad BBQ in Houston?  They have killer onion rings.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been to the Salt Lick in Drfitwood. If I'm ever in the area again I'll absolutely go again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Luling City Market has a very weak link to City Market in Luling.  Houston Press story

Good to know, thanks!

The experience of walking into the pit room and watching the meat pulled out of the old pit is part of the flair, can't really recreate that in a urban shopping strip.

That's another things. Old and seasoned pit vs a stainless steel smoker is what makes me hate most newer/chain BBQ places.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick em up this Friday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Excellent!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks!

The experience of walking into the pit room and watching the meat pulled out of the old pit is part of the flair, can't really recreate that in a urban shopping strip.

That's another things. Old and seasoned pit vs a stainless steel smoker is what makes me hate most newer/chain BBQ places.

A lot of the newer chains use gas smokers instead of wood-burning pits.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Truth:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Salt Lick applies an asian type glaze instead of ketchup smeared on a brisket like Rudy's. Riding through Driftwood on a Harley you can smell it long before you get there.

One thing I did notice when I rode I wouldn't eat there more than once a month because the next day my hands and feet would always be swollen and ears rang. They use alot of MSG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sometimes its extremely evident and sometimes its just evident. Pressure cookers that use wood chips just isn't the same...

Quoted:
Salt Lick applies an asian type glaze instead of ketchup smeared on a brisket like Rudy's. Riding through Driftwood on a Harley you can smell it long before you get there.

One thing I did notice when I rode I wouldn't eat there more than once a month because the next day my hands and feet would always be swollen and ears rang. They use alot of MSG.

Was it the MSG or was it riding around on a HD in the Hill Country? Reason I ask (and I know I'm just asking for it) is because MSG has never been scientifically proven to have any effects when it's included in a normal amount with food.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes its extremely evident and sometimes its just evident. Pressure cookers that use wood chips just isn't the same...

Quoted:

Was it the MSG or was it riding around on a HD in the Hill Country? Reason I ask (and I know I'm just asking for it) is because MSG has never been scientifically proven to have any effects when it's included in a normal amount with food.

Uh, no, it was from all the MSG. It's is used in a higher than normal amount, obviously.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top