Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2011 7:37:03 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Looks like my soon to be wife and I might be moving to Houston. We are both applying for jobs there and have a couple of leads that will let us know in the next two weeks. If this does work out, we will be living in or just north of Sugarland TX. My question is what gun ranges are available/which ones do you recommend? I plan on shooting pistol and rifle shooting and I also enjoy competition shooting.

I was looking into the Addicks range and was wondering if anyone here has a membership. If so, what the cost was and range quality. If not, then what ranges do you use and what do you like about them?

How does Pearland Shooting Club compare?

On a side note, I would really like to go hog hunting in the fall and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for a first timer, and if you had any recommendations.

Thanks,

IG
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
America Shooting Center isn't that far away.  That'll have shotgun\pistol\rifle target shooting out to 600 yards.  What kind of shooting are you looking for?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
America Shooting Center isn't that far away.  That'll have shotgun\pistol\rifle target shooting out to 600 yards.  What kind of shooting are you looking for?

It really depends on my mood as I do all types of shooting. But what I do most of the time at my local range in new mexico is I usually just shoot steel and paper targets with my pistol at 7 (I only shoot paper at this distance), 15, and 25 yrds. I also bring my ar15 out and shoot at 50 and 100 and 200 yds at both paper and steel. And when I  get the itch (especially near hunting season) I bring some of my bolt action rifles out and shoot 100 to 200 yrds at paper. Mostly zeroing in and getting some good practice.

But again, I mostly shoot pistol and ar15, with some 10/22 action to keep things economical. All in all its just fun target practice and I try and go to the range at least once every two weeks, so I think getting a membership will definitely be worth it.

Thanks,  IG
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out American Shooting Centers.
They're going to be real close and might be what you're looking for.
You don't have to me a member to shoot there, so make sure you at least give them a try.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out American Shooting Centers.
They're going to be real close and might be what you're looking for.
You don't have to me a member to shoot there, so make sure you at least give them a try.

I will definiteyl check them out and give it a try. The only downside I see is the HUGE membership fee! Most other ranges are half that (I think, at least what I've seen online). Its going to be hard to pull the trigger on that price when I only pay a fraction of that ($300 for a single yearly membership).
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Join a gun club ASC sucks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Join a gun club ASC sucks!

Know of any good ones?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I think membership is open @ Greenwood Gun Club.  I've been there a lot of years. Other places around.
http://greenwoodgunclub.org/
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
im a member of bayou rifles (that might be the addicks range ur referring to).  the bayou rifles addicks range has 4 ranges (rimfire/airrifle, bulleye (one handed shooting), a short pistol range, and steel sihoulette) all are covered.  its only open on friday afternoons, saturday and sunday  unless if youre an rso.  the addicks range is pistol, black powder and rimfire only; no center fire rifles allowed (22lr conversions are ok).  bayou rifles also has a rifle range/pistol range south of sugar land.  there are a bunch of rules, but its still better than public ranges.  go to bayourifles.org for more info.  club membership is around $140/year.  theyll have various matched throughout the year.

psc would be friendlier to tactical style shooting.  i think psc has nicer facilities than bayou rifles, but i hear theres a hell of a wait list to sign up.  im not sure how much membership is.

asc is a public range.  no rapid fire; theyll jump on ur ass real quick if you do.

the sugar land area is nicer than houston id say (if you have kids, make double damned sure youre not in alief isd).  katy is also nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
im a member of bayou rifles (that might be the addicks range ur referring to).  the bayou rifles addicks range has 4 ranges (rimfire/airrifle, bulleye (one handed shooting), a short pistol range, and steel sihoulette) all are covered.  its only open on friday afternoons, saturday and sunday  unless if youre an rso.  the addicks range is pistol, black powder and rimfire only; no center fire rifles allowed (22lr conversions are ok).  bayou rifles also has a rifle range/pistol range south of sugar land.  there are a bunch of rules, but its still better than public ranges.  go to bayourifles.org for more info.  club membership is around $140/year.  theyll have various matched throughout the year.

psc would be friendlier to tactical style shooting.  i think psc has nicer facilities than bayou rifles, but i hear theres a hell of a wait list to sign up.  im not sure how much membership is.

asc is a public range.  no rapid fire; theyll jump on ur ass real quick if you do.

the sugar land area is nicer than houston id say (if you have kids, make double damned sure youre not in alief isd).  katy is also nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thanks!! Thats just the kind of info I'm looking for!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
also, if yall buy a house, be careful about what city/municipality your house is in, because one or two blocks can make a huge difference in taxes and fees.  this is especailly difficult, because sugar land, katy and houston blend together into a big blob to form the greater houston area.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
also, if yall buy a house, be careful about what city/municipality your house is in, because one or two blocks can make a huge difference in taxes and fees.  this is especailly difficult, because sugar land, katy and houston blend together into a big blob to form the greater houston area.

Thanks for the tip!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#12]
psc has a waiting list? are you sure?
when i was there eight years ago members were encouraged to sign new members up; in fact, we were given $5 credit?reduction for every new member we signed up!
tomball gun club-that's frozen membership!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
i'm not sure.  i may have misunderstood someone saying they had to wait a while before they could take a membership class.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
i shoot at theimpactzonegunrange.com.

Its a members only private range in hempstead which is a long drive from where you're at but if you go to the range once a week and shoot for 4-6 hours like me then its a good deal. I wouldnt recommend it for 30 minute once every other month kind of shooter.

Theres no rangemasters and no rules, you come and go as you please when you please 24/7 and can shoot full auto, suppressed, .50's, ect rapid fire, from the holster, IDPA, ect.

For this reason you have to personally meet and greet with the owner and prove that you are safe and responsible to be on the range unsupervised. Hes looking for prior military or LE, competitive shooting IDPA or IPSC guys, ect. Somebody thats not going to shoot the target supports, over the berm, or their own feet.

I dont know what membership is now but its probably at or a little over 300 a year if hes accepting new folks. He has like 8 big pistol/small rifle bays and a 300 yard rifle range, tons of props and IDPA movable doors and walls, some inop cars for LE vehicle defensive tactics classes and stuff and a bunch of steel shilouettes and poppers out there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i shoot at theimpactzonegunrange.com.

Its a members only private range in hempstead which is a long drive from where you're at but if you go to the range once a week and shoot for 4-6 hours like me then its a good deal. I wouldnt recommend it for 30 minute once every other month kind of shooter.

Theres no rangemasters and no rules, you come and go as you please when you please 24/7 and can shoot full auto, suppressed, .50's, ect rapid fire, from the holster, IDPA, ect.

For this reason you have to personally meet and greet with the owner and prove that you are safe and responsible to be on the range unsupervised. Hes looking for prior military or LE, competitive shooting IDPA or IPSC guys, ect. Somebody thats not going to shoot the target supports, over the berm, or their own feet.

I dont know what membership is now but its probably at or a little over 300 a year if hes accepting new folks. He has like 8 big pistol/small rifle bays and a 300 yard rifle range, tons of props and IDPA movable doors and walls, some inop cars for LE vehicle defensive tactics classes and stuff and a bunch of steel shilouettes and poppers out there.

Wow, sounds like a great place to be a part of. I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Turns out we got the job and are moving to Texas!!! We'll probably move out there first or second week of August. Who knows, I might see one of ya out there on the gun range!!!

Cheers and thanks again for all the tips, I'm sure I'll be posting in here asking for restaurant suggestions, favorite gun shops etc.

IG
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow august your in for some shit. I remember getting sun burnt in january after denouncing my illinois heritage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow august your in for some shit. I remember getting sun burnt in january after denouncing my illinois heritage.

HAHAHA, yea, the sun I can deal with (currently living in NM and we have all sun all the time), but its the humidity that I'm dreading. Granted we need water here bad (and so does TX), but I'm not looking forward to 80% humidity every damn day.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top