Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2011 9:03:14 AM EDT
A friend of mine was telling me that he tried to purchase a pistol through Academy but they wouldn't release the item because they hadn't received authorization, even after 3 days.

Is this new?  I thought if .gov hadn't called back with in 3 days, you were okay - or did this change?

He's got security clearances up the wazzoo so he's not sure if its that or because he was born outside the country.  (He's a citizen, squeak clean with no misdemeanors or felonies.)
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
they have their own policy, also the atf agents have told people not to release them even after the 3days. It's not a law
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
So how long does it take before they can release? I thought my friend said something about 30 days...I'm guessing it's store policy...but I wasn't clear if they could or wouldn't release after the 30 day period. In any case, he cancelled the sale.

He's concerned about going through this same ordeal if he buys at another shop.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Your friend should get his CHL and avoid this crap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1

And maybe consider shopping somewhere other than Academy...  There are lots of locally owned gun stores who will give you better customer service.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Although the store "can" release after three days if there is no finding, it is up to the individual FFL holder, in this case, Academy, as to whether they will do that.  Personally, when I was an FFL, I did not release under those circumstances unless the individual was know personally to me.  It was only a part time business, no need for any future questions from the feds.  I just refunded the money.  Academy sells enough that they have no reason to sell to anyone not blessed by the Feds. Also, I second the recommendation that the individual just get his CHL and avoid this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Him and I are planning on taking our CHL class together, but he's offshore a lot of the time....
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The CHL wins everytime and dealers are glad when you have one.

Its kinda funny, some will bitch when an actual gun store has higher prices, but better service.

But when someone buys from a "stack it deep and sell it cheap" and gets the kind of service they pay for.

All the sudden the gun stores are good guys again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
academys policy is to not release until the fed calls back. sometimes they dont and so you dont get a gun.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The CHL wins everytime and dealers are glad when you have one.

Its kinda funny, some will bitch when an actual gun store has higher prices, but better service.

But when someone buys from a "stack it deep and sell it cheap" and gets the kind of service they pay for.

All the sudden the gun stores are good guys again.

Academy isn't even all that cheap compared to some of the better local gun stores.  Some local gun stores are major expensive and actually still have worse customer service than Academy though.  It is a matter of finding the stores that have good customer service.  The great ones are the ones that are both competitive on price AND good on customer service.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Texas gun shows are always better priced than any gun store or Academy.  The only time there's a reason to not buy at a gun show is if they just flat don't have it, in which case Buds or (maybe) Davidson's will still be cheaper than any brink-and-mortar store.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It's always funny when we get a deny and its a week past the three days we could sell the gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I've usually found the guys that get a long hold didn't put their SSAN on the form, therefore causing longer
searches thru the database.  YYMV
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I've bought a couple guns through Academy through some promotions they had, it worked out decent for me price-wise.  Both times were before I had my CHL, it was a while ago but they didn't hold them and I left with them.  Maybe they've had a change in policy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not know if the system is the same, but back several years ago, the first person doing the check is at the clerk level.  When it has to be further checked, such as by Social Security Number, the level doing the check goes up to the agent level.  Not putting on a SSN, especially if you have a "John Smith" kinda name almost guarantees a delay.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do not know if the system is the same, but back several years ago, the first person doing the check is at the clerk level.  When it has to be further checked, such as by Social Security Number, the level doing the check goes up to the agent level.  Not putting on a SSN, especially if you have a "John Smith" kinda name almost guarantees a delay.

Yes that is how it goes on. ATF has started using a online background check service that Academy takes part in. This is supposed to expedite the checks but since we adopted using it I have been seeing more delays. A CHL is always the best way to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The initial NICS call goes to a call center, where the customer service rep checks the info (including SSN#'s) the dealer gives them against a database. If no matching records are found NICS will automatically give a "Proceed" to the transaction. If records are found that match any of the purchasers information the call is then forwarded to a FBI NICS Examiner who has access to confidential records. If potentially prohibitive criteria is found in records- NICS will issue a "Delay" (meaning they have three business days to do additional research on the purchaser). If after three business days (which starts the day AFTER the initial call) NICS has not issued a "Denied" status, the dealer MAY complete the transfer. He is not required to do so however.

Quoted:
Yes that is how it goes on. ATF has started using a online background check service that Academy takes part in. This is supposed to expedite the checks but since we adopted using it I have been seeing more delays. A CHL is always the best way to go.

ATF has nothing to do with the NICS check. NICS is run by the FBI.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, so true, it is not the ATF, the checks are run by the FBI, my error.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Academy is full of shit.

Even if you have a CHL they run the background check. Fuckers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Academy has a lot of stupid firearm sale policy's,

If you are delayed, they will not sale to you, end of story.    Before I got my CHL I always was delayed and when I tried to buy anything from Academy they would just blow me off and after 30 days they would restock the weapon I was trying to buy.       It's not law it's just their stupid policy like the no sale of AR15 to people under 21.    Not law just their policy.

I don't like it but they can run their sales however they want.

Best to just move one and buy from someone else.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Store policy. They have several stupid ones which is why ill never purchase a firearm from them. No, ill just go in and waste their time "kicking the tires" and handling the arms im interested in and go buy from somewhere else (and always at a cheaper rate).

My experiences with them has left a bad taste in my mouth if you cant tell...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top