BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2011 10:15:11 AM EDT
out to 200 yds

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
out to 200 yds

I generally prefer a decent quality 3-9x40mm over the various "tacticool" dot scopes...
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
out to 200 yds

I'd much rather run an Aimpoint vs an EOTech. I can't afford an ACOG and I consider it to be an upper class optic. I will also dismiss the reflex sight because I wasn't too impressed with it. They both have excellent quality, but for practicality, I guess that debate is up in the air. I like the aimpoint battery life, but one could argue that finding AAs is easier, etc. If this controversy was easily solvable there wouldn't be so many damn, eotech vs aimpoint threads on every gun forum known to man. I prefer the Aimpoint because of its simplicity and battery life. If price point is your opinion (this is speaking in terms of buying new and not on EE) then the Aimpoint does lose a bit because you must buy the unit + a mount, which the mount is usually an extra 100. Where EOTechs are mountable out of the box. To be as competitive, you could go with the new PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) aimpoint came out with this year, which is priced at ~4-450. It's essentially an M3 with a mount included.

tldr; i like aimpoint
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I started with an old Elcan,went to a Acog,ended up with the Aimpoint.It works close up better than the others.IMHO.

ETA: This is on my M-4 , i have a Leupold 1x4 in a LaRue SPR-E mount on my other carbine.On 1x, it is fast ,with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I started with an old Elcan,went to a Acog,ended up with the Aimpoint.It works close up better than the others.IMHO.

Someone post pics of what it's like to see through an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Burris Tac 30   1x4. This is deadly from 0-200 and very accurate out to 400 plus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I much prefer a riflescope of some sort on one rifle I have a 2-6 (16in ar) and on others 3x9s, since I shoot with both eyes open I don't have a problem with close in targets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just look around and picture a small red dot everywhere you look
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just look around and picture a small red dot everywhere you look

Apply dot to target, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
For aimpoint... both eyes open or one closed?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They work best with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a good deal on an EOTech a while back, so I went with that. I'm happy with my purchase. That said, at some point, I will likely by me an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
just got a nikon M-223 3-12 nikoplex and love it so far
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Both open, always. You can even shut the front lens cap. Its called occluded eye gunsight. I did this when I was hunting a beaver so he wouldn't catch my glare.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Under the Optics section there is a sticky that shows views of the different optic views.  I'll try a link, but no guarantee.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/OpticsReticles/Aimpoint/Aimpoint.htm
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/OpticsReticles/Aimpoint/Aimpoint.htm
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 30mm tube for the win.

Are you near San Antonio/Austin?

If you are, depending on the weather, I'll be in Austin next Sunday for a carbine shoot at the Austin Rifle Club in Manor if you want to look through my scope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
You could always just take a pic of what it's like looking through your scope. I'm currently in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Have shot @ 200 yards plus with the ACOG TA31 RCO M4.
Longest shot on steel 485 yds thus far. Fixed 4x. Hits consistently with the bdc.
Three times the cost of other RD type, although worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I vote acog.  But for red dots, I traded my aimpoint for an eotech xps.  I just like the two circles more than the dot.  Im faster w it
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I vote acog.  But for red dots, I traded my aimpoint for an eotech xps.  I just like the two circles more than the dot.  Im faster w it

If you are seeing two circles, you might want to get your eyes, optic, or both checked.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I despise my EOTech, the battery life just sucks.  I have an older one with an N-type battery.  I don't know what the deal is but I can't get it to turn on sometimes unless I remove and reinsert the batteries.  The rest of the time the batteries are just flat out dead.  That being said, I haven't touched it in over a year.  It still sits on one of my Stag lefty AR"s, but  I won't rely on something that can't be trusted.  I've actually used the BUIS last couple times I used that particular rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I run a Trijicon TX30, which is the Tri-Power.  I've had it about two years, and I dig it.  My only complaint is the batteries are pretty expensive, but I've only used them a few times.  

I couldn't afford the ACOG at the time, and I prefer a 1x optic on 16" or less barrels anyway.

I have a Tasco 2.5-10 on my 24", and it works fairly well at low magnification, but it's a bit big for a carbine.  It's served me well out to 550 yards, easy to use, and best of all it was cheap.  I'll likely throw it on a .22 when I upgrade, but at this point I will probably only upgrade when it breaks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Answering the optic question is a very personal  and difficult one considering all the possible options.  I have an Aimpoint M3, EoTech 553 and a Vortex PST 1-4x scope that I'm still breaking in.  I probably should have gotten an AGOG.  They have excellent glass and great illumination.  However, the 4x has more limited eye relief and a smaller field of view at close range.  Both the Aimpoint and EoTech are both good out to 300 yards, depending on the size of target (man size).  My problem is my eye sight not the optic, thus my recent purchase of a 1-4x variable optic.  If I don't like it then l might try the 3.5x AGOG, assuming I can come up with the cash. Hopefully I'll be happy with the PST since it cost half as much as the AGOG.  The people that have them seem to be very happy with them, but for that kind of money I guess they should be.  

Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
For what purpose? If for a combat type optic then I prefer the aimpoint, and have one sitting on my 'go to' rifle. I swap it w/ a 3.5-10x scope for plinking and load development and swap back for practice/classes/home defense. (both are on larue mounts)
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
For the purpose of Obama and his Union troops trying to take over the south again. THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!

Optic is most likely to be used in overseas operations.

So far I have tried out

Eotech EXPS 2-2 ( Had a optic issue as in it wouldn't zero properly)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x BDC (Currently, but wanting to sell it)  due to not quick enough eye relief.

I liked the eotechs FOV over a scope. However the scope pin points while the red dot is ''within range''

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For the purpose of Obama and his Union troops trying to take over the south again. THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!

So far I have tried out

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x BDC (Currently, but wanting to sell it)  due to not quick enough eye relief.

I liked the eotechs FOV over a scope. However the scope pin points while the red dot is ''within range''

maybe look for an aimpoint w/ a 2moa dot instead of the 4. (FWIW i'm happy w/ the 4 moa dot and definetly shoot under 4moa with it)
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Well the ACOG is the best optic out of those choices hands down, of course it also costs a lot more. The ACOG has some zoom and doesn't need batteries and is a great optic, the extra magnification will be better for shooting longer ranges of course. For a 1X optic it's tough to beat the Aimpoint in my opinion, but the Eotech is equally good, I just don't care for them as much, personal preference. Of course if 200 yards and longer is your goal I think you would be better served with a more traditional scope with more zoom like 3-9x40mm. The Aimpoint and Eotech is best served for closer ranges being fast with both eyes open. Not saying you can't shoot longer ranges with no zoom, I've shot 500 yards with irons at man size steel targets with my AR15 and get consistent hits. The SPR style scope like 1x4x30mm is also great for most all ranges as a general purpose optic. Lots of choices out there, just depends what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
"overseas operations" huh? That really narrows it down.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#30]
The ACOG is a very good scope, but it's a different role than the Aimpoint, but you can get 90% of the ACOG (while still having the benefit of the 1x Aimpoint) with a 3x magnifier. It isn't until you have to start using hold overs (between 300-400 yards depending on your ammo and zero) that the ACOG starts to really shine over the Aimpoint + magnifier. But the Aimpoint rocks the ACOGs world at short ranges.

Yes the magnifier adds some weight, but if you don't need it for an extended period, you can take it off and stash it in a pouch, or bag.

I've played with some 1-4x scopes, IMO at 4x the ACOG is better, at 1x Aimpoint is better. But the 1-4x scope is a good option that is between those two optics, particularly optics with an Aimpoint type dot, like the Short Dot. But none of them are small, nor too terribly light.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Trijicon TR24 1-4x variable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"overseas operations" huh? That really narrows it down.

Kicking doors down? I'm suspecting from previous experiences in fire fights I won't need to go past 150 yds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Zeiss Conquest 3-9

ETA:  kicking down doors?  not in my realm of experience, will defer to others.. nm
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
If you'll be "kicking down doors" then the Aimpoint or EoTech would work great.  They would work great especially for anything less 150 yards.  In an open environment with ranges from 100-500 yards the AGOG would shine.  Without a back up sight of some kind I'd hate to do room to room with the AGOG.  Nothing in life is perfect, just weigh the trade offs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/cowitness_lower.jpg

Is that the actual red dot...looks fake lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/cowitness_lower.jpg

Is that the actual red dot...looks fake lol.

The flash washed the dot out, so I placed a similar size dot over the actual (faint) dot in photoshop.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary Arms Aimpoint clone.  Brightness set on 7 in pics,  goes up to 11.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For the purpose of Obama and his Union Mexican troops trying to take over the south again. THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!

So far I have tried out

For door kicking, Rem. 870 pump w/0 buck for me please. No. 2 choice, aimpoint

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Primary arms for affordable

Aimpoint if you spendy

Trijicon if your really spendy

Leupold or Zeiss if your hunting I prefer 3x9 for general use, or a 1x4 for big bores
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I run an eotech with a 3x magnifier on a larue fts mount.  I absolutly love it.  I even deer hunt with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Aimpoint.  Can hit vitals consistently out to 400 yards, 500 on a day with no wind.  The versatility of an aimpoint is what makes it so nice.  I can reach out 2 or 3 hundred yards easy and still works well at close range due to no magnification.  I really don't like magnification unless I'm hunting coyotes or need it for something particular.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#43]
These are suppose to be used with both eyes open? (aimpoint)
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Absolutely, that way you don't suffer the tunnel vision of a magnified scope. You have to try it for yourself to believe it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both open, always. You can even shut the front lens cap. Its called occluded eye gunsight. I did this when I was hunting a beaver so he wouldn't catch my glare.

So...you glare at beavers too?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

use what your issued.  or irons.  dont bring some stupid gadget overseas that you dont know how to operate and utilize properly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

use what your issued.  or irons.  dont bring some stupid gadget overseas that you dont know how to operate and utilize properly.

A lot of my buddies use them in the military. I was shown one...but didn't really inspect it properly. A lot of arguemtns over eotech and aimpoint between friends...quiet fun to watch.

We are usually issued either eotechs or acogs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top