Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:33:21 AM EDT
Hey DFW crew,

Im looking for someone who knows his way around John Garand's masterpiece.  I've got a mixmaster Garand that will not go bang...or even release the hammer.  Needs work.  I've also got a Poly Tec M14/s that I'd like to have the headspace chedked and if needed, have a new bolt installed.  I could ship both off to SEI or Fulton...but...I'd rather deal with someone local.  If you've had any experience, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
KA

ps, I'm NOT looking to have a match rifle built, just want to get the old war horse out to the range for the kids.

ka
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
There can't be much wrong with the Garand
There are a couple of things that you can check. Field strip the rifle and check the firing pin, it should move freely in the bolt, also the tip should protrude from the face of the bolt.
Check to see if the hammer will release when the trigger is pulled, first lock the trigger guard in the closed position,and catch the falling hammer with your thumb to keep from damaging it.
Ican,t help with the m1a.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
the trigger does not release when the trigger is pulled.  I've replaced the trigger assy but no help.  It's not an AR and I'm pretty sure that I'm not remotely qualified to work on it.

ka
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Eric Pierce, DBA : Nat'l Match Armory, in Roanoak i think, but he IS the guru.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eric Pierce, DBA : Nat'l Match Armory, in Roanoak i think, but he IS the guru.

If he's the guy I'm thinking about, he doesn't waste his time on these little projects but instead is more dedicated to custom builds.  If you give him a call, I'm sure he could probably tell you the problem over the phone.  The ChiCom M14 can be an issue if you want to start having it looked at since many parts are not interchangable.  I learned the hard way...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have contact info for him?  I've looked but can't find anything.

Thanks,
ka
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
National Match Armory

5145 FM 1187 E.
Burleson, TX 76028
(817) 478-5721 shop/office
(817) 874-9115 mobile
New phone hours: Tues - Thurs 10am - 4pm
[email protected]  Please keep all correspondence short and to the point. We will respond in kind. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thanks, Don't know why the heck dogpile and google wouldn't return that

Thanks again,
ka
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top