Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2011 2:08:28 PM EDT
San Antonio Area residents are the latest victim of the $40 state inspection fee with emissions testing.

Am I the only one who thinks you should only be charged this fee if your vehicle FAILS the test?

If you pass, it should still be $15.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The whole thing just illustrates what happens when a state lets Uncle Sam get in it's business by accepting federal dollars.

The state gets addicted to the $$$ from D.C. and finally has to jump through whatever hoops to keep the money coming. In this case it's highway funding. Cities are not immune to this either and are also whoring themselves out for "grants". Homeland Security is just the latest gimmick.

The money starts out local anyway but goes to Washington. Then they send a little back with strings attached.

In in an area that requires the test, and I can tell you that people are real submissive about this and look at you funny if you even question the idea. I drive an older truck and my wife drives the newer vehicle. I never assume that my truck will pass.

My method is to just not get the inspection. I have gone as long as two years without the new sticker. If you get caught, you make have to go to J.P. court where you will probably just get a verbal warning. I'm money ahead so far.

Sorry, but this is the kind of thing that bothers me, especially how sheepish people have become about being ripped off for no good reason. My old truck still gets 20 MPG, so I'm sure the emissions can't be too bad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What I dont get is, why this was kept so secret in Bexar county.

Why was this not something the citizens got to VOTE on. After all, we are a country that VOTES on things right?

It's a tax in my view and is excessive.  If your car is not emitting excessive SMOG, you shouldn't be required to pay a fee for it.  It should still be $15 if it's a clean running car.

$70 for my registration, and now 40$ for the inspection.  $110.00 a year. WTF

And, no I don't only have one car. I have 3.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not live in Bexar County: check
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do not live in Bexar County: check

Yeah I agree 100% but its too late for that now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My method is to just not get the inspection. I have gone as long as two yearswithout the new sticker. If you get caught, you make have to go to J.P. court where you will probably just get a verbal warning. I'm money ahead so far.

I was pulled over by DPS for expired inspection sticker. My sticker was a year and 6 months expired.

The fine after all was said and done? $205.

Yes, I went through J.P. court. Didn't get a verbal warning. First time I've ever been pulled over, and was the first ticket of any kind in my life.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
$15.00?!? I remember when they were $4.50 and if it wouldn't pass and you knew someone, you could slip em a 10 and get the sticker.

ETA. And that was back when minium wage was $3.65 or so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why was this not something the citizens got to VOTE on. After all, we are a country that VOTES on things right?

It's a tax in my view and is excessive.  If your car is not emitting excessive SMOG, you shouldn't be required to pay a fee for it.  It should still be $15 if it's a clean running car.

I think it is a result of an air quality study. The EPA has decided that you air qiality is low- just like us here in DFW. Wait until you also get the reformulated gasoline.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Did San Antonio add dynos to their smog machines? I can't figure any other reason for the price increase, in Travis and Williamson counties it is still $28.50.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I cannot find any information pertaining to the change.

Anyone have a link?

The DPS website does not show Bexar county as requiring an emissions test.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/item_insp.asp
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad I don't have to do that.
We just get the safety test here .
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
they have to raise revenue for all those nice new toll roads they are building right?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is a result of an air quality study. The EPA has decided that you air qiality is low- just like us here in DFW. Wait until you also get the reformulated gasoline.

Jim

You can look forward to lower MPG in your vehicle and your operating costs will go up, but can take comfort in knowing that you were an unwilling victim of Al Gores run for President..

......"One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular
attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a
certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was
about to run for president.”.....    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/22/report-al-gore-reverses-view-ethanol-blames-politics-previous-support/

Keep your eye on solar and wind and pray you never live in an area that depends primarily on those sources for energy.   Their inability to really sustain power (they are heavily impacted by weather) to large masses will become more evident as POTUS continues his anti-coal crusade.  Unfortunately, this error will not be appreciated until too many coal driven power stations are shut down.....   Not to mention the billions of our tax dollars being funneled into subsidizing these technologies...   But, this isn't the thread for a subsidizing rant....

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

[snip]
Keep your eye on solar and wind and pray you never live in an area that depends primarily on those sources for energy.   Their inability to really sustain power (they are heavily impacted by weather) to large masses will become more evident as POTUS continues his anti-coal crusade.  Unfortunately, this error will not be appreciated until too many coal driven power stations are shut down.....   Not to mention the billions of our tax dollars being funneled into subsidizing these technologies...   But, this isn't the thread for a subsidizing rant....

Does California still have those rolling brown (or black?) outs?

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they have to raise revenue for all those nice new toll roads they are building right?

They take your money to make them, and then they take your money to drive on them. It's great, isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They take your money to make them, and then they take your money to drive on them. It's great, isn't it?

Get ready for increases in the cost of tags and inspection stickers. This has already been suggested as one way to help pay for the shortfall in the state budget.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't been able to confirm the emissions testing requirement in Bexar County anywhere yet... but, if I am not mistaken, if testing is required in Bexar County by the EPA it is also required in the touching/adjacent counties.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[snip]

Does California still have those rolling brown (or black?) outs?

To my knowledge that was resolved and blamed on the power companies manipulating the system for more money.   Ca government quickly pointed to deregulation and greed as the culprit, but conveniently stayed quiet about their cap on electrical rates the companies could charge (which resulted in no new plants being built to meet new demand and not enough infrastructure improvements to carry power).   Can you really call it deregulation if there are still regulations in place?

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with wind or solar supplements (especially if they are not subsidized), but it's just unrealistic to think those can meet demand 24/7 with their known shortfalls...  

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I just got my wife's car inspected two weeks ago in San Antonio.  Was $14.50 then.  Haven't heard anything about it being raised either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get ready for increases in the cost of tags and inspection stickers. This has already been suggested as one way to help pay for the shortfall in the state budget.

yup, just like they did in NJ, welcome to the hell I left in 2001.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm actually surprised a state like Texas has those stupid inspections.  I can possibly see emissions in urban areas where emission might be a problem but the checks to make sure my windshield wipers are working is a crock of shit.  When I lived in Wisconsin we had basic emissions testing only if you lived near Milwaukee.  There weren't shitboxes driving around causing accidents so I can't believe that is a big enough problem to force all of us to pay for an inspection every year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#21]
This just seems like an ideal issue for the people of Texas to resist and overturn. It hits you where you live and it interferes with people's ability to go to work and earn income.

At the root of it are a bunch of people currently in charge who really don't believe yu ought to be able to own a car, or any other property.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw this coming when I lived in Harris county.  I decided to unass the county, and moved to Liberty county.  It might have been one of the smartest things I've done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got my wife's car inspected two weeks ago in San Antonio.  Was $14.50 then.  Haven't heard anything about it being raised either.

A co-worker went to do it and it was 37$ and they told him there was smog testing, so I'm going by what he was told by the inspection person.  Apparently this was enacted this month.

I have not done my 5 vehicles yet.  While two of them are motorcycles. I wonder when that will be 40$ also.

My car is due at the end of this month, so once I do it I'll know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A co-worker went to do it and it was 37$ and they told him there was smog testing, so I'm going by what he was told by the inspection person.  Apparently this was enacted this month.
I have not done my 5 vehicles yet.  While two of them are motorcycles. I wonder when that will be 40$ also.
My car is due at the end of this month, so once I do it I'll know for sure.

I live in Travis County (Austin), and my motorcycle did not have to undergo an emissions test.
Not sure if it varies by county, but I wouldn't think so since it is administered by the state (TX DPS).
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think it is determined by state law, based on population of your county or proximity to another highly populated county.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Makes me wonder what its going to cost me when I get Texas plates after a year of driving around N.Dallas without a toll tag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is determined by state law, based on population of your county or proximity to another highly populated county.

Supposedly Based on Air Quality (Ozone is a big score factor) which is why Austin (Travis County & Williamson & Hayes) were put "in" the smog testing county group.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm actually surprised a state like Texas has those stupid inspections.  I can possibly see emissions in urban areas where emission might be a problem but the checks to make sure my windshield wipers are working is a crock of shit.  When I lived in Wisconsin we had basic emissions testing only if you lived near Milwaukee.  There weren't shitboxes driving around causing accidents so I can't believe that is a big enough problem to force all of us to pay for an inspection every year.

Having basic vehicle inspection (Tires not worn out, wipers actually on the arms,  brake lights & head lights working is not a terrible thing.  If you are driving on the public roads, the vehicle needs to meet some minimum standards before it blows a tire on the highway or t-bones me at an intersection because their wipers didn't work.

The smog testing though was a complete boondoggle.  Just follow the dollars to see who benefited!

In Austin, the initial testing date was rolled back by a year, since most of the shops didn't have the expensive smog test equipment ready to use when the original smog test date was issued.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy a diesel and you back down to the cheap rate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]
uhh.. the sticker "wholesale" to the station is about the same for both. The state doesn't make any extra money on this once you roll in the additional hassle. The 39.75 is a mandated maximum that inspection stations can charge. We even LOSE money on the ASMs (pre '96 dynamometer testing)

I agree that emission inspections are a load of crap! I doubt you'll find many people getting rich off the actual inspection fee though. The companies that are licensed to service our equipment make a killing on us though
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Can't you go out of Bexar to get it inspected?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think the vehicle has to be inspected in the county it is registered in.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the vehicle has to be inspected in the county it is registered in.

Jim

Or primarily operated in (college students and such). It is a crime to intentionally avoid emissions testing by going out of county, but our dps rep said it is a rarity for anyone to get busted for it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#34]
The reformulated gasoline is what really chaps my ass. The surrounding counties have to sell it too so we can't just cross the county line and fill up. Gas mileage drops and it just doesn't run as well.

What really pisses me off is something I read a long time ago. If I remember correctly vehicle emissions only contribute something like 15% to the pollution totals. Industry is responsible for the rest, but there are few effective controls on industry. They force this crap down our throat because it is the easiest to control.
Industrial polluters have figured out that it's cheaper to just pay the fines than to stop polluting.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#35]
You have to get the vehicle inspected in which it resides.  If you go to a non emission county and try to get one they will give one to you only if you sign an affidavit.  I do state inspections everyday in a non emission county and we have had quite a few people come in and say they live somewhere else and not in the emission county so we have them sign the affidavits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#36]
What industry does San Antonio have that creates or adds such great amount of pollution in the air? Where does it come from?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Ya, I just had to pay for this BS myself.
Fresh Houstonian from Lubbock. Wish I would've done it while at home during Christmas break.
At least make it for cars older than 5 years!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I really don't think we have any industry of any size that created pollution... We don't really make anything here... even at the Toyota plant, they just assemble parts. USAA, Lackland, downtown tourism, Toyota truck factory, taco and raspa trucks? Nah, I don't think any of those produce an abundance of pollution. CPSEnergy coal plants, maybe. What else do we have in San Antonio that pollutes?

The Alamo Area Council of Governments' Air Improvement Resources Committee Chairman says the pollution in San Antonio drifts in from Houston. So we have to deal with a problem created by Houston.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/New-air-quality-rules-cloud-Bexar-s-future-788807.php
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#40]
You do realize that trees and sunshine create ozone don't you?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I really don't think we have any industry of any size that created pollution... We don't really make anything here... even at the Toyota plant, they just assemble parts. USAA, Lackland, downtown tourism, Toyota truck factory, taco and raspa trucks? Nah, I don't think any of those produce an abundance of pollution. CPSEnergy coal plants, maybe. What else do we have in San Antonio that pollutes?

The Alamo Area Council of Governments' Air Improvement Resources Committee Chairman says the pollution in San Antonio drifts in from Houston. So we have to deal with a problem created by Houston.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/New-air-quality-rules-cloud-Bexar-s-future-788807.php

There are several good sized food processing plants in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Update on my first post:

I went today to get my inspection done and, it was still $14.50.  I was given bad information by the person who told me it was $40.00

I talked to the inspection guy and he told me that AUSTIN has a system like this where its more expensive, but that it was 29$.

He did not have any information on when it would be implemented, but that there was talk of it being done in Bexar County.

I guess my anti-tax hair trigger went off and I SHOULD have verified the fee before I posted, but I think this is coming one way or another if this area does not self-police on crappy cars.

So far we are safe, with $14.50 fees on cars, and the normal 12$ on motorcycles.  PHEW!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You shut your whore mouth!

As for those who like to skirt the law (like me) and not pay registration or inspection fees until after a ticket.

I just got popped for no registration on my cars (twice in a week, different vehicles), and one for no inspection.

80.00 for registration (times 2) plus an inspection (15.00) plus 20.00 court fee (times 3).

Been an expensive week.

But, my truck has been running up and down the road since 2004 with neither inspection nor registration.  I think I am still ahead of the game.

Inspections are still 15.00 in my country, but we are being studied as a 'contributing' county for DFW air pollution.  I expect we will be 'discovered' to be contributing to global warming and taxed as a result.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for those who like to skirt the law (like me) and not pay registration or inspection fees until after a ticket.

I just got popped for no registration on my cars (twice in a week, different vehicles), and one for no inspection.

80.00 for registration (times 2) plus an inspection (15.00) plus 20.00 court fee (times 3).

Been an expensive week.

But, my truck has been running up and down the road since 2004 with neither inspection nor registration.  I think I am still ahead of the game.

Inspections are still 15.00 in my country, but we are being studied as a 'contributing' county for DFW air pollution.  I expect we will be 'discovered' to be contributing to global warming and taxed as a result.

TRG

Let me open my whore mouth about this.  I have the original inspection sticker on my 2003 Gold Wing, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been an expensive week.

TRG

Hmmm. TRG's area is being studied because of pollution?

Jim

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been an expensive week.

TRG

Jim

Use your imagination to figure out where the CO2 and methane are coming from.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been an expensive week.

TRG

Jim

Use your imagination to figure out where the CO2 and methane are coming from.  

I was also thinking of the fumes given off from the goat lube.

Jim

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Shit the bustards should pay US 40 bucks if our rigs pass....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
wait till they try to pass the charge by mile per year on your inspection sticker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top