Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2010 8:01:23 PM EDT
I am wondering if their is any public land around the Red River/Texas, Oklahoma boarder that is good and legal to just do some hiking and shooting.

I am not wanting to break any laws or trespass, and I am not to familiar with the area. Thats why I would like to hike around.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The Red River runs along the entire Southern Oklahoma border, about 200 miles, and yes there is some public land within that 200 mile stretch. You're going to have to be more specific about where you're talking about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 3:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
well if you can get past the new checkpoints as we are NOT allowing any more yankee's to move here...I

I really dont think there is much "public land" in Texas beyond state parks and or boat ramps on the river though I may be wrong..

and as posted above the red river is a LONG Stretch where are you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really dont think there is much "public land" in Texas beyond state parks and or boat ramps on the river though I may be wrong..

Here's a map of a few tens of thousands of acres of COE land that's open to the public in both Texas and Oklahoma along the Red River.

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/LIBRARY/Webhuntingmaps/texoma.pdf

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a map of a few tens of thousands of acres of COE land that's open to the public in both Texas and Oklahoma along the Red River.

Where can I find out more info on shooting rules and locations?

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
What part of the border?  There are several public hunting lands on the Oklahoma side around Marietta.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#6]
OK to be more specific...
how about North of Wichita Falls.  Around the Burkburnett area.  
Also open to anything East or West 20 or so miles
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK to be more specific...
how about North of Wichita Falls.  Around the Burkburnett area.  
Also open to anything East or West 20 or so miles

I was going to recommend the Horseshoe Bend area northeast of Gainesville, but that's too far from you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where can I find out more info on shooting rules and locations?

You can call the Corps of Engineers but they will tell you to call the game warden and the game warden will tell you to call the Corps of Engineers. Basically nobody is in charge of any of those places on the map.

The Corps has an office on the Texas side of the dam and you can go talk to them there and they will give you printed maps of the areas that has some other rules and stuff like that. For the most part though, people just go out and shoot where they want and a lot of the places have spots where people have been going shooting for years.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind that concealed carry is not allowed on Corps of Engineers property...

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/belton/faq.asp - May I have a firearm  in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on  Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

This only applies to a Texas STATE parks if it is "leased" property from the COE.  State rules are trumped by the COE rules which BTW are NOT the same as the National Park rules.... fun, isn't it?  

I personally think it's BS, but I purposely avoid several Tx lakes because of the COE rules...

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that concealed carry is not allowed on Corps of Engineers property...

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/belton/faq.asp - May I have a firearm  in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on  Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

This only applies to a Texas STATE parks if it is "leased" property from the COE.  State rules are trumped by the COE rules which BTW are NOT the same as the National Park rules.... fun, isn't it?  

I personally think it's BS, but I purposely avoid several Tx lakes because of the COE rules...

The law does allow for firearms, ammunition, and concealed carry if you have permission from the officer in charge of the area.  I made several attempts to  get just such permission from Colonel in charge of a particular campground I wanted to visit without any luck.  Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're hunting it is.

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
In continuation of this, does Texas have anything similar to BLM land all over the west near Fort Worth (within an hour or so drive) that you can shoot on?  I'm tired of ranges disallowing FMJ for no good reason.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In continuation of this, does Texas have anything similar to BLM land all over the west near Fort Worth (within an hour or so drive) that you can shoot on?  I'm tired of ranges disallowing FMJ for no good reason.

After a few days searching I've come do discover the answer is 'probably not'.  You apparently used to be able to do target shooting in one area of the caddo/lbj national grassland but that isn't allowed anymore.  They mentioned that you could still shoot clays though.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/hunting.shtml

Target Practice

Recreational rifle and pistol target shooting on the LBJ Grasslands is closed. On the LBJ’s western border, 380 acres are open to clay pigeon shooting with shotguns.
All other areas are closed to target shooting. Information on areas to sight in weapons may be available at district offices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top