Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2010 3:58:52 PM EDT
I think TV versions of us are way too exagerated. I do have a slight drawl, but no pick-up with guns in the back window.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
so in other words the image is better than the reality?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Tv versions no good any more. Everyone has moved thier gun racks down, behind the seat. Damn druggies will steal everything they see these days

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You got me there. I remember as a kid my dad walking into the store with his 38 shoved in his boot...in the country. Today, SWAT would get involved and the media would converge. LOL
Quoted:
so in other words the image is better than the reality?

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I rarely hear the "Texas drawl" in any person under 40 these days.

In my generation, it's darn near nonexistent.  I can do it, of course, but it's not my habitual accent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure none of y'all are as Texan as me.

Ask anyone who attends ARFCOM dinners.

My East Texas drawl is so hard to understand at times, people keep looking at my feet for subtitles.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My East Texas drawl is so hard to understand at times, people keep looking at my feet for subtitles.

you aren't keith are you, i had to interpret for his ass everywhere we went, especially when we were drunk........

stereotype? i wear boots, drive a truck, carry a gun, have a slight drawl, love huntin and fishin, i dunno....
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
F*#% them we're from TEXAS!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Born and raised here. I guess I fit the stereotype.

Old Ford truck W/ Gun rack.
Boots, Hat, Jeans.
Wooded homestead, with livestock.
Hunting, Fishing.
Own a tiny interest in an oil well somewhere.
Know that Chili has NO beans.
Can skin a buck, and run a trot line. Yes, a country boy can survive...
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear boots and a western shirt, combat boots and hawaiian shirt, doesn't get any farther west than Hawaii.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think TV versions of us are way too exagerated. I do have a slight drawl, but no pick-up with guns in the back window.

I have a pickup with guns in the back window.

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm hardly a stereotypical Texan, but I'm moving to a ranch over the next couple of weeks at least...

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Born and raised here. I guess I fit the stereotype.

Old Ford truck W/ Gun rack.
Boots, Hat, Jeans.
Wooded homestead, with livestock.
Hunting, Fishing.
Own a tiny interest in an oil well somewhere.
Know that Chili has LOTS beans.
Can skin a buck, and run a trot line. Yes, a country boy can survive...

Gig a frog
Catch a rattlesnake
Know that hammers and pliers are interchangeable
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
OMG..I haven't gigged a frog since I was a teenager. We'd always take Mason jars and catch the lightning bugs. When I tell me kids about "country" stuff I did they look horrified or laugh hysterically. They don't believe their mom would sit on a rickety old bridge all day with a cane pole and a bucket of stink bait. These kids today...
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I was not born in Texas. I was born and raised in Iowa.   I moved here when I was 31ish I think in 1998.  I guess that I am a damn Yankee.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was not born in Texas. I was born and raised in Iowa.   I moved here when I was 31ish I think in 1998.  I guess that I am a damn Yankee.  

I moved here from Iowa also.  I've had to deal with a lot of people up north who really believe a lot of the silly TV stereotypes about Texas.  There Ain't No Segueros in Texas folks...
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved here from Iowa also.  I've had to deal with a lot of people up north who really believe a lot of the silly TV stereotypes about Texas.  There Ain't No Segueros in Texas folks...

Did they ask you if you'd met J.R. Ewing yet?

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#18]
one of my cousins moved to Hillsboro from Dunlap, Iowa and he does have a cattle  ranch. You can tell he's Irish but not so much Texan.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Get me out of the city and I go feral within about a day...

The farther west I go, the worst it gets.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]
They do exist.

I was in NYC for a three day meeting a few years ago, not long after my youngest son was born.  I was handing out cigars to my peers.  One of the guys from the city asked me, "By the way Fuggit, how big was your boy?"  I replied, "Three pounds six ounces."   He laughed at me and said real cocky, "Damn, that's a little tiny boy.  We thought you Texans did everything big."  I said, "Well, when he was born, he weighed twelve pounds ten ounces.  Then we had him circumsized."
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they ask you if you'd met J.R. Ewing yet?

Yeah, something like that...  A lot of people from Iowa are not very well traveled, if not outright kinda insulated and naive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
one of my cousins moved to Hillsboro from Dunlap, Iowa and he does have a cattle  ranch. You can tell he's Irish but not so much Texan.

Geez.  I can't imagine moving TO Iowa.  That's just insane.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They do exist.

I was in NYC for a three day meeting a few years ago, not long after my youngest son was born.  I was handing out cigars to my peers.  One of the guys from the city asked me, "By the way Fuggit, how big was your boy?"  I replied, "Three pounds six ounces."   He laughed at me and said real cocky, "Damn, that's a little tiny boy.  We thought you Texans did everything big."  I said, "Well, when he was born, he weighed twelve pounds ten ounces.  Then we had him circumsized."

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]
in the early 90s, I had the assistant of a client of mine in NJ ask me something like the following

"so you've lived in TX all your life"
"yep, born and raised"
"that's cool I guess, so did you drive a tractor to school in high school?"
"uh...your realize I graduated high school in '91"
"yes.  so was it a fancy tractor?"

she was being completely serious.

a few years later he came down hunting outside of laredo with me on my deer lease.  killed a nice javelina.  took it home for a shoulder mount.  told people it was a Texas sewer rat....
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
in the early 90s, I had the assistant of a client of mine in NJ ask me something like the following

"so you've lived in TX all your life"
"yep, born and raised"
"that's cool I guess, so did you drive a tractor to school in high school?"
"uh...your realize I graduated high school in '91"
"yes.  so was it a fancy tractor?"

she was being completely serious.

a few years later he came down hunting outside of laredo with me on my deer lease.  killed a nice javelina.  took it home for a shoulder mount.  told people it was a Texas sewer rat....

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Once when I worked in a call center, I had a lady call in around christmas time and she asked me if "we texans hang Christmas lights"...I said "yes we do", she got quiet for a moment and said "but it doesn't snow down there???"....

Of course she was from new York and I was like WTF....lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was born and raised in Davenport, but Im moving back to Texas in a couple weeks as well.  Funny how that works, I cant stand being in Iowa.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm an East Texas boy as well...I feel bad for some of the Indian guys I work with. Actually had one come up to me before he went back home and he said "The whole 3 months I have been here I couldn't understand a single word you said to me".
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Only vehicles are trucks and we have lot's of guns and more house than we need.
Wear Jeans and boots frequently and grill constantly.
To the right of Ronald Reagan on most issues.
We believe that some people "need killin".
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Haven't carried my rifles in the rear window for quite some time. We used to do that while leaving doors unlocked
and windows down. As a kid we also used to hitch hike to a gunsmith through downtown Austin carrying a rifle...and actually got rides. We even took our 30-30 Winchesters to highschool and left them in the princible's office so we could go straight to our deer stands after school. Try that now...

Memo to yankees: 'school' is pronounced skool, single syllable just like it's spelled, not scoo wol.
Acorn is akern, not A corn. Pecan is p'con, not pee con, pee can.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was born and raised in Davenport, but Im moving back to Texas in a couple weeks as well.  Funny how that works, I cant stand being in Iowa.

I've got family in Iowa who have some kind of weird fantasies I will move back up there some day...  No freaking way.  If I had to move there are a bunch of places in Texas I'd consider first...  If I had to leave Texas there are a bunch of southern or southwestern states I'd consider first...  Iowa isn't even in my top 25 of states I'd consider...  There's just nothing there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got family in Iowa who have some kind of weird fantasies I will move back up there some day...  No freaking way.  If I had to move there are a bunch of places in Texas I'd consider first...  If I had to leave Texas there are a bunch of southern or southwestern states I'd consider first...  Iowa isn't even in my top 25 of states I'd consider...  There's just nothing there.

I agree.  I liked growing up in Iowa.  I miss my family but I love living in Texas by the gulf coast.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Not a personal story of mine, but my dad was on the east coast for
business in the mid 80's and had a guy from NJ absolutely guarantee
there were more trees in NJ than in Texas. He laughed and said sure, if
you say so.

Had a guy that moved down to go to school from Missouri or something like that, asked him what the most noticeable thing about Texas was compared to home. "everyone drives trucks" was his answer.
Don't have much of an accent by in state standards, but others say it's noticeable when I'm out of state in comparison. And it seems like everywhere else talks so fast!

I can ride a horse even though we've never owned any (not the most graceful by any means, but in a operable fashion).

I know what that springy looking round thing with the handle on it is for.

Also, Redwings are proper foot attire for any occasion.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#34]

I drive a station wagon. stabbin' wagon.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#35]
A true Texan can drive anything that has wheels on it. From mopeds to tractors to 18 wheelers. They can hunt and shoot long range. They don't all wear western clothes, or cowboy hats. And when asked what type of music they like, they know enough to say 'both kinds'. [Both Country AND Western music]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I liked growing up in Iowa.  I miss my family but I love living in Texas by the gulf coast.

I never even liked Iowa growing up.  There wasn't much to do most of the time.  Around the Austin area there is always something going on.  Its almost too much here, although that is easy to deal with...   just stay home and veg and catch up on chores and stuff around the house every once in a while.  And the weather up there sucks 3/4 of the year.  1/2 the year it is too cold to way to damn cold...  the summer months are hot and humid...  and the spring and fall it often rains a lot.  And people up there think they are friendly...  but it is kinda a false thing.  They are extremely insular.  There is little diversity up there, so people who don't fit into their neat little cookie cutter molds are subtly ostracized.  And before a lot of people around here think that sounds good...  the accepted norm up there isn't terribly gun friendly...  A large percentage of Iowans are liberal elitist whites and/or fudds.

Anyway, I see and hear enough of my family...  my parents are retired and have an RV so they spend a lot of the winter down south.  They especially like the Rio Grande Valley area down around Weslaco.  I do miss my Grandma and one of my Uncles...  wish they were in better health and finances so they could travel more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Sometimes I will put a little extra drawl in my speak, just to fuck with people

I can do it full on, or half-ass , but I don't normally talk that way.

It is helpful for when I'm talking to another true Texan, though
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm an East Texas boy as well...I feel bad for some of the Indian guys I work with. Actually had one come up to me before he went back home and he said "The whole 3 months I have been here I couldn't understand a single word you said to me".

Now that there is funny, I don't care who ya are!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I've done this test several times over the last five or more years and consistently get "large urban southern city like Dallas".  Pretty good since I've lived here essentially my whole life.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've done this test several times over the last five or more years and consistently get "large urban southern city like Dallas".  Pretty good since I've lived here essentially my whole life.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

Heh...I got the same thing. Born and raised just south of Dallas.

I have a bit of a Texas accent, and it gets worse when I am around other Texans with an accent. I never really noticed I had an accent until I went up to North Dakota. I'd intentionally make my accent thicker though, just to screw with them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#41]
One day a Texan was bragging to a West Virginian about how big his property was.
Said the Texan, "It takes me nearly 3 days to drive across my property."
West Virginian: "I used to have a car like that."
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that there is funny, I don't care who ya are!

Even worse though, when I went to Indiana this summer for a job interview I had one of the guys up there tell me my accent was intimidating.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I have to really be aware of my "drawl". Around family and friends, I tend to sound extremely country. Sometimes I say something and I'm like, "OMG" that sounded sooooo East Texan. LOL
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I raised chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, and pheasants. I also grew my own vegatables. I guess that is stereotypical Texan. No cows or horse although I know how to ride... yes I even rode a cow once. I know how to catch snakes and scorpions as well as trap varmits. I have caught fish by hand including alligator gar.
That makes me either pretty much a native old school Texan or just a crazy fucker...
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm 19, raised in Longview area, and I don't think I've ever actually finished a complete word.

huntin
fishin
yall
gettin

We have our own vocabulary and I like it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I raised chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, and pheasants. I also grew my own vegatables. I guess that is stereotypical Texan. No cows or horse although I know how to ride... yes I even rode a cow once. I know how to catch snakes and scorpions as well as trap varmits. I have caught fish by hand including alligator gar.
That makes me either pretty much a native old school Texan or just a crazy fucker...
"I can skin a buck, I can run a trot line...."

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm 19, raised in Longview area, and I don't think I've ever actually finished a complete word.

huntin
fishin
yall
gettin

Reminds me of Blue Collar Comedy Tour.."Southerners can end a sentence in nine prepositions..yes we're over-achievers." ROFL

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

huntin

fishin

yall

gettin

"Yall gettin ready? I'm fixin to go huntin!"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top