Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 11:36:13 AM EDT
I plan to retire to the Tyler area in a few years after spending a long time in the oil industry in Saudi Arabia. I grew up in Tyler but moved away in 1972.

I plan to get a house built in an out of city limits addition where I can get a 1 acre or larger lot.

I plan to do this in Robert E Lee Tyler or Whitehouse school district.

I am in Texas right now on my annual repatriation leave. Can anyone recommend any semi-rural sub divisions underway or any builders I might want to visit while here?

What outdoor Rifle/pistol ranges are there in the area and how do I find them?

Any skeet ranges?

Is "Lock-N-Load" the only indoor range?

I'll also be looking to find a deer lease and some guys to share the expense with - preferably one where we can shoot some hogs as well.

Brazos Jack

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I plan to retire to the Tyler area in a few years after spending a long time in the oil industry in Saudi Arabia. I grew up in Tyler but moved away in 1972.
I plan to get a house built in an out of city limits addition where I can get a 1 acre or larger lot.
I plan to do this in Robert E Lee Tyler or Whitehouse school district.
I am in Texas right now on my annual repatriation leave. Can anyone recommend any semi-rural sub divisions underway or any builders I might want to visit while here?
What outdoor Rifle/pistol ranges are there in the area and how do I find them?
Any skeet ranges?
Is "Lock-N-Load" the only indoor range?
I'll also be looking to find a deer lease and some guys to share the expense with - preferably one where we can shoot some hogs as well.
Brazos Jack

Without knowing what price range you are looking for its hard to be too sure.  South Haven and Forest Glen are nice well established neighborhoods with homes ~$300k+.  

We just moved into our new house in Flint with just over 6/10ths of an acre and there a couple other bigger lots left in our small neighborhood.  Our builder was great too.

Other neighborhoods you might look at would be Tranquility Place off Beddingfield Rd. or Spruce Hill Estates in Flint or Willscott Estates in Noonday.  Most of the subdivisions lots are less than an acre though.  Bullard or Lindale may have more options too.

HWY 31 west range is just south of Tyler on 31 west.  The Longview ETPRC is a nice club too.  You need to be a member for both and both have websites with info.  Rose City Flying Clays is on the north end of town for all clay sports.  The Chicken Ranch is down in Frankston for more clays.  As far as I know Lock & Load is the only indoor range.

I can't help with a lease, I have only been out to my in laws land in Van for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a nice trap/skeet range on 64 west of town about  12 miles.  South of town is nice, especially if you can get a place on a lake.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Without knowing what price range you are looking for its hard to be too sure.  South Haven and Forest Glen are nice well established neighborhoods with homes ~$300k+.  

We just moved into our new house in Flint with just over 6/10ths of an acre and there a couple other bigger lots left in our small neighborhood.  Our builder was great too.

Other neighborhoods you might look at would be Tranquility Place off Beddingfield Rd. or Spruce Hill Estates in Flint or Willscott Estates in Noonday.  Most of the subdivisions lots are less than an acre though.  Bullard or Lindale may have more options too.

HWY 31 west range is just south of Tyler on 31 west.  The Longview ETPRC is a nice club too.  You need to be a member for both and both have websites with info.  Rose City Flying Clays is on the north end of town for all clay sports.  The Chicken Ranch is down in Frankston for more clays.  As far as I know Lock & Load is the only indoor range.

I can't help with a lease, I have only been out to my in laws land in Van for deer and hogs.

I'm looking for something in the $225K to $350K range so what you mentioned is right there.

I'll have to find how to join the HWY 31 West Range. I want to get my .270 sighted in because when I retire it will occur just before deer season in the year I retire. Is Rose City Flying Clays a club or a commercial operation?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The East Texas Rifle & Pistol Club is a hidden gem in east Texas; the annual membership only recently went up to, I believe, $100.

I also used to shoot a lot of IDPA matches at 31 West Range, just west of Tyler on Highway 31 just before Chandler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top