Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 5:44:56 PM EDT
back yard neighbor's kid sent 2 airsoft pellets into my bedroom window and broke the outer pane on our 2 pane window.

can this outer pane be replaced by itself?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
back yard neighbor's kid sent 2 airsoft pellets into my bedroom window and broke the outer pane on our 2 pane window.

can this outer pane be replaced by itself?

It can be, but it'll fog up in no time and eventually the moisture will grow fungus. Double-pane windows are sealed with nitrogen or argon or some other inert gas in them to prevent this.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Double pane windows can be sealed with n2, argon etc but also air. The trick is the seal. You have to get a close fit on the new pane of glass and then don't spare the silicon sealant. Reseal the inside pane inside and out then set the outside pane and "tack" it in place with sealant on the corners. Then fill the inside between the panes with a heavy bead of sealant and wait till it dries, then a heavy bead on the outside of the outside pane. You have to overdo it as any gap causes moist air to flow in and out between the panes of glass and you get condensation etc.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#3]
There are business that reseal dual pane windows, they can also replace only one pain. I had one done in the Austin area if you're local I'll try digging up his number.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are business that reseal dual pane windows, they can also replace only one pain. I had one done in the Austin area if you're local I'll try digging up his number.

Interested
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If the existing window is aluminum, now would be a good time to replace it with a much better vinyl window.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Double pane windows can be sealed with n2, argon etc but also air. The trick is the seal. You have to get a close fit on the new pane of glass and then don't spare the silicon sealant. Reseal the inside pane inside and out then set the outside pane and "tack" it in place with sealant on the corners. Then fill the inside between the panes with a heavy bead of sealant and wait till it dries, then a heavy bead on the outside of the outside pane. You have to overdo it as any gap causes moist air to flow in and out between the panes of glass and you get condensation etc.

Good luck!

The only problem is that the moisture in the air when you glue up that window will condense out with temperature changes, and you'll get fogging. I'm speaking from experience.

Window manufacturers used dried gas to fill the space between the panes to avoid this.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen several "pro" attempts to repair instead of replace  
One failed "condensation between pane" within a month. The second lasted about two years before it failed

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
You may consider taking that $1500 tax credit for new "Energy Rated" winders.   Expires end of this year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You may consider taking that $1500 tax credit for new "Energy Rated" winders.   Expires end of this year.

The rebate is 30% of the material cost, up to $1500.  Whichever is less.  The windows also must have a SHGC of .30 or less and a U-Factor of .30 or less to qualify for the credit.  And they have to be installed by 12/31/10.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rebate is 30% of the material cost, up to $1500.  Whichever is less.  The windows also must have a SHGC of .30 or less and a U-Factor of .30 or less to qualify for the credit.  And they have to be installed by 12/31/10.

Thanks, good to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top