Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 10:11:15 AM EDT
Is it typical to get municipal, county and federal notices for jury duty within a 5-6 week period?

All were sent 2-3 weeks before the date that I have had to go to court for jury duty.

mm
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
No,but the county tags me regular, every year or so...
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No,but the county tags me regular, every year or so...

Same here.  I've been called by Travis County every year for the past 3-4 years.  I've also been called twice for Federal District Court since I moved to Texas.  I've never served on a jury though.  I just end up wasting most of a day before getting released.  In the case of the Federal District Court, I was "on call" for 3 months and actually had to appear (pretty much blew the whole day) 3 times in downtown Austin for jury selection.

FWIW, I was a registered voter, had autos registered in my name, etc. (all the things that get you onto their list) before I moved to Texas and I never once got called for jury duty up there.

I've been told that once you get called once for Travis County at least that you will pretty much keep getting called on a more or less yearly basis until if/when you actually serve on a jury.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  All three are independent levels of jurisdiction.  When I was at jury duty somebody had gotten a state jury duty and shortly there after a county jury duty.  The judge explained the independent jurisdictions.  As explained to the fellow by the judge, "Just because you got a summons for jury duty on the municipal level does not prevent you from receiving a summons on a county, state or federal level.  You will however not be summoned again for the (insert period of time here) for the county if you do get chosen as a sitting juror.  Just because you received a summons and you arrived here will not excuse you from another summons."
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No.  All three are independent levels of jurisdiction.  When I was at jury duty somebody had gotten a state jury duty and shortly there after a county jury duty.  The judge explained the independent jurisdictions.  As explained to the fellow by the judge, "Just because you got a summons for jury duty on the municipal level does not prevent you from receiving a summons on a county, state or federal level.  You will however not be summoned again for the (insert period of time here) for the county if you do get chosen as a sitting juror.  Just because you received a summons and you arrived here will not excuse you from another summons."

It just seems odd that I popped up on all three of their lists within such a short time period.

Municipal court.....got there, sat for about 30 minutes, they announced that everyone was released for the day since no one requested a jury and they didn't need us, "thank you for coming and please get in this line to collect your $6."

County court....got there, signed in, signed in, signed in again and showed id.  Sat for about 3 hours, until just before lunch, they came in announced that they had made their jury selections for the day.

Haven't done the Fed court yet.

mm

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the Fed. Court....

Got there, signed in and sat around.  Got interviewed, was told that I was not selected for the jury and was home by 1:30 pm.

I think I was not selected because of a couple of questions.

1.  Are you, or are you related to a police officer?

2.  Do you know or are friends with any police officers?

mm
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Do they know your occupation beforehand because i've never even been sent the letter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do they know your occupation beforehand because i've never even been sent the letter?

The questions were asked by the defense attorney in the interview.

mm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top