Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2010 6:23:52 PM EDT
My brother ( who is over 18 but under21)went on a canoe trip over the
weekend and had a few drunk guys Shooting guns right by where they where camping for the
night. My question is is it legal for him to carry a handgun in a bag or something
for
protection?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a CHL you can carry a handgun.
Whenever I'm boating I carry one, also have a lanyard so the event that I take a dunk I'll hopefully not lose it.

If no CHL then you would be limited to long arms.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
He may still be considerd "traveling" in which case he would be okay concealed or open, but it is considered a defense to prosecution (the burden of proof that he is traveling is on him if it goes to trial)

Much better choice to take a long gun. Also be aware that if you are on corp of engineers land/waters it is against federal regulation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He may still be considerd "traveling" in which case he would be okay concealed or open, but it is considered a defense to prosecution (the burden of proof that he is traveling is on him if it goes to trial)
 Traveling is not a defense to prosecution.  If you are traveling, unlawful carry a weapon does not apply to you.

Also be aware that if you are on corp of engineers land/waters it is against federal regulation.

Yep, lots of folks forget this.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Traveling is not a defense to prosecution.  If you are traveling, unlawful carry a weapon does not apply to you.

Also be aware that if you are on corp of engineers land/waters it is against federal regulation.

Yep, lots of folks forget this.

My mistake, good catch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the river is navigable, they're cool, but once they step foot on the bank, they could be trespassing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the river is navigable, they're cool, but once they step foot on the bank, they could be trespassing.

totally true.

Devils river is, as far as i know, the only river in TX in which the river bottom is NOT owned by the state.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am confused about the "navigable" thing.  To what does that refer?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means the river is considered a navigable water way. Different rules than a creek or stock tank.

Also make damn sure he doesn't get into trouble for trespassing with a gun on him. Lots of people who own land on the rivers get mighty sick of it being treated like "community" land.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means the river is considered a navigable water way. Different rules than a creek or stock tank.
Different rules WHERE?  I see nothing in PC 46 about waterways AT ALL.

To what, specifcally, is the relevance of navigable waterways?

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
This cross references some laws to the way I understand it:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/sweeney/
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were speaking of the relevance to criminal trespass if property is posted/marked. Nothing at all to do w/ weapons.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were speaking of the relevance to criminal trespass if property is posted/marked. Nothing at all to do w/ weapons.

Gotcha, thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
What part of the Brazos?  My dad and I do the trip from the Possum kingdom dam to the hwy 4 bridge every april and have yet to see a game warden, sheriffs deputy or anyone else patrolling the river.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top