Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 4:22:40 PM EDT
I'll probably sound like a tard but here goes:
I just purchased a used truck (2000 Ford Ranger). I have the title and insurance.
Whats next and how do I go about it? Registration and license plate info. on the .gov sites is somewhat confusing.
I know I need to register the vehicle. Do I keep the current license plate? Any help sure would be appreciated.
Signed, vehicle tard'.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your County's Texas Tax Assessors office and you will register/title it there. Be sure and have proof of insurance and cash or personal check w/ correct info on it. You will pay sales tax at that time as well.

Congrats on the new ride.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just like he says. Does need to have a current inspection.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

not necessarily.

you and seller also should fill this out and both sign 130-u form you can actually fill it out before printing it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They never check for that, just insurance in all of my cases. Plus, when buying a new vehicle I much prefer to register it in my name before the inspection.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Current inspection is not required.    I have always thought that was strange.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a chicken-egg problem if it was required...  Since I believe you have to have current registration before you can get a vehicle inspected...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a chicken-egg problem if it was required...  Since I believe you have to have current registration before you can get a vehicle inspected...

Only need current proof of insurance for inspection.  Reguardless, the OPs question has been answered.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help folks, I sure appreciate it. With your assistance, I was able to track down the necessary info.
Sure takes a bite out of the wallet. To register in Dallas county, with sales tax, etc.,. I'm looking at around $400.
Ouch...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top